Sources of Information

Discuss about anything!
DaffyVina

Sources of Information

Post by DaffyVina »

I've been writing up news reports of what is happening in Ukraine on here for a little over a month now. My main motivation is so that people whose access to this is severely restricted, might be able to access it easily.

I often also share with people a link to how to access these sources of information directly:

To Access the BBC News in Russia:
Download the Psiphon app.
Look for the dedicated BBC site on the Tor Browser
www.bbcnewsd73hkzno2ini43t4gblxvycyac5a ... 5uqd.onion
Note that this URL only works using the Tor Browser or the Onion Browser (on iPhones).
If access to the apps is restricted then send a blank email to get@psiphon3.com or gettor@torproject.org. An email will be sent in response with a direct and safe download link.

To Access Twitter’s onion service:
https://twitter3e4tixl4xyajtrzo62zg5vzt ... yoid.onion while using Tor Browser or a similar tool.

From Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty there is this advice on their website about bypassing blockages:
We encourage readers in Russia to subscribe to the Telegram channels of RFE/RL's Russian and Ukrainian services or this website's Telegram channel in English, as well as to our newsletter, The Week In Russia, for continued access to our reporting.
Here are some other ways to continue to access RFE/RL's reporting not only in English but also in Russian, Chechen, Tatar, Ukrainian, Belarusian, and other languages:
VPNs
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a tool that allows a person to mask their location and identity by linking up with a computer server in a different location. It also is an encrypted or secure tool, meaning once a user activates a VPN it’s very difficult (though not impossible) to intercept the data and information that goes back and forth.
VPNs have exploded in popularity around the world amid concerns about Internet security. The result is a plethora of options -- some sophisticated, some simple, some costly, some inexpensive or free -- that people can download and use. One thing to keep in mind: In some countries like Russia, VPNs are being increasingly outlawed as authorities try to crack down on the free flow of information.
Readers can use a VPN, such as nthLink or Psiphon, which are free solutions supported by the Open Technology Fund. VPNs will give readers access to blocked social media platforms. Here are some more detailed instructions in Russian that also include a few other free VPN alternatives.
TOR ONION SITES
The Onion Router is free and open-source software that allows people to use the Internet, send e-mail, or do just about anything online anonymously. The software directs Internet traffic through a so-called overlay network scattered around the world, making it difficult to trace Internet activity to the user.
Readers should consider downloading the Tor browser to anonymously and securely access RFE/RL's onion sites.
English website: https://www.rferlo2zxgv23tct66v45s5mecf ... 6ad.onion/
Current Time: https://www.currtv242aqatxhyqfyh3mtq2ub ... qd.onion/
RFE/RL's Russian Service: https://svobod7mjzb3hwxhgcnx7ui2ffd4p5z ... hyd.onion/
RFE/RL's Ukrainian Service: https://www.radiosvcr452z5oklfrl5tgh7p ... oid.onion
RFE/RL's Belarusian Service: https://svabodmmmsdce3rmzoor5cw3byj6rq ... ead.onion/
How to download the Tor browser:
On Windows, MacOS, Android, Linux: https://www.torproject.org/download/
On iOS: https://onionbrowser.com/
If the sites are blocked, you can send an empty e-mail to gettor@torproject.org and you will be sent a browser bundle via e-mail.

Where Tor is blocked, bridges help readers access the Tor network. Readers need to request a bridge via one of the following ways:
-- Sending "/bridges" to the dedicated Telegram channel @GetBridgesBot and then adding the bridges lines received manually via copy and paste in the Tor browser [Settings > Tor > Bridges > Provide a bridge]
-- Requesting a bridge via e-mail at bridges@torproject.org and then adding the bridges lines received manually via copy and paste in the Tor browser [Settings > Tor > Bridges > Provide a bridge]
-- Connecting through Snowflake from within the Tor browser [Settings > Tor > Bridges > Select a built-in bridge > Snowflake]

Most of my posts on here don't include my commentary or views, as I don't want my perspective to get in the way of people's access to factual information. However, I have had a few very intellectually stimulating discussions about sources of information for news as a result of the Freedom on Information posts. One question I've been asked a few times is whether I work for the BBC, or why I post lots from them. That's straightforward, I know there is specific total censorship of this news outlet, so I am more focused on circumventing that, and there is also an element of ease/ ability (it's in English which is my first language).

However, I do try to read my news much more widely than this. My language limitations mean that unless something is in English or French I am likely to need translation software to do this. So for those who have expressed interest, I routinely also obtain news from Al Jazeera, France 24, and Newspapers, The Independent, The Guardian, and a plethora of local newspapers available online. I also specifically review RT and China daily, as well as non-English language sites for particular stories, as I find this helps me be aware of slants of presentation and overt discrepancies of opinion.

In terms of the "weight" I give to information reviewed, there are two key questions for me:
Are the primary sources of information described clearly? - ie is the data verifiable by someone else?
What is the general reliability of this source of information? - ie are there multiple sources confirming the same information. is there a clear agenda which could bias their perspective? if so what is it? (I give more weight to agendas related to humanitarian concerns (like health care) is there a reason they could have an unintended agenda? e.g. publication bias, state sensorship, social sensitivity to topic, racial bias...

Regardless of your usual sources of information, I think they are not helpful questions to ask.
DaffyVina

Re: Sources of Information

Post by DaffyVina »

I think this article gives a nuanced perspective on the terms genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity, which sadly have had good reason to be discussed in relation to the war in Ukraine.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/4/6 ... ge-caution
DaffyVina

Post by DaffyVina »

This article today was a helpful reminder of the importance of free and independent media.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 54312.html

The focus is on explicit state restrictions in Russia.
However, it gives food for thought about other monopolies on news that exist, the most obvious being that those with vast wealth (billionnaires and corporations) can buy and somewhat control media freedom too.
DaffyVina

Post by DaffyVina »

The live reports in Freedom of Information are mainly taken from the BBC Live news (as this is something which is specifically blocked), however, I thought the the lines of live news updates from Al Jazeera from the last 10 hours give useful additional information and perspective:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/4/1 ... t-liveblog

Russia-Ukraine live news: Missile attacks in Lviv, Dnipropetrovsk

Missile attacks reported as Ukraine’s president accuses Russian troops of carrying out kidnappings and torture in southern parts of the country.

A view shows the bodies of civilians killed during Ukraine-Russia conflict in the southern port city of Mariupol, Ukraine April 17, 2022 [Alexander Ermochenko/ Reuters]

By Sasha Petrova and Nigel Wilson
Published On 17 Apr 2022
Updated: 25 minutes ago
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy promises not to give up territory in the east of the country to end the war with Russia.
Zelenskyy accuses Russia of building “torture chambers” in the southern regions of Ukraine and carrying out abductions.
Zelenskyy discusses plans for Ukraine’s post-war reconstruction with the International Monetary Fund.
Ukrainian forces in Mariupol continue to hold out after Russian deadline to surrender passes.
Ukraine says Russian forces have forcibly removed 150 children, some of whom were in hospital, from Mariupol.

MAP: INTERACTIVE Russia Ukraine War Who controls what Day 53

2 mins ago (07:25 GMT)
Regional governor says six killed in missile strikes on Lviv
Six people have been killed and eight wounded in missile strikes on the western city of Lviv, regional governor Maksym Kozystkiy has said.
Three missiles hit military infrastructure facilities while one struck a car tire replacement facility.

53 mins ago (06:34 GMT)
Russia’s attacks on Mariupol similar to its approach in Chechnya, Syria: UK
The British defence ministry says Russia’s targeting of civilian areas in Ukraine’s Mariupol aligns with its approach to Chechnya in 1999 and Syria in 2016.

“This is despite the 24 February 2022 claims of Russia’s defence ministry that Russia would neither strike cities nor threaten the Ukrainian population,” the ministry said in its latest intelligence briefing.

The ministry also praised Ukrainian resistance in Mariupol and elsewhere, saying it has “severely tested Russian forces”.

Latest Defence Intelligence update on the situation in Ukraine – 18 April 2022

1 hour ago (06:11 GMT)
Explosions reported in Lviv, Dnipropetrovsk regions
Authorities in Ukraine have reported multiple explosions in the western and southern regions of Lviv and Dnipropetrovsk. There were no immediate information about casualties and damage.

Andrey Sadovoy, the mayor of Lviv, said in a Twitter post that there had been “five targeted missile strikes on the city”.

Valentyn Reznichenko, the governor of Dnipropetrovsk, reported attacks early on Monday morning but said most of the missiles had been shot down by Ukrainian air defence systems.

Smoke rises from buildings in Lviv reportedly after a Russian attack.
Ukraine reported explosions in the western regions of Lviv. [Gian Marco Benedetto/Anadolu Agency]

3 hours ago (04:22 GMT)
Italy’s Draghi says ‘it’s useless’ to talk to Putin
Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi has complained in a newspaper interview that Western diplomatic efforts to persuade Vladimir Putin to halt the war in Ukraine have so far led nowhere.

“I am beginning to think that those people are right when they say ‘It is useless to talk to him, it’s just a waste of time’,” Draghi told the daily Corriere della Sera, adding Putin’s goal appears to be “to annihilate the Ukrainian resistance, occupy the country and entrust it to a friendly government”.

4 hours ago (03:20 GMT)
Russian forces planning a false-flag attack on Kherson: Official
A Ukrainian official says Russian forces are planning a false-flag attack on Kherson to lay the groundwork for a referendum for independence in the port city.

“Kherson residents report that Russian invaders are preparing a provocation in the city. This should be the reason to ‘save’ the city by holding a ‘referendum’ there,” Serhiy Bratchuk, the speaker of the Odesa regional military administration, wrote on his Telegram channel.

Kherson, a largely Russian speaking city, has been occupied by Russian forces for more than two weeks and Ukrainian officials warn Russia may stage an independence referendum in the port city, similar to the one held in the annexed Crimean Peninsula in 2014.

A 10-year-old boy holds a cage with two parrots on a bus leaving Bashtanka, Mykolaiv district. His family fled from Kherson, which is occupied by Russian forces. April 7 [Petros Giannakouris/AP Photo]

5 hours ago (02:40 GMT)
Crimean authorities intend to set up ‘retraining camps’ for Ukrainian teachers: Report
The Center for Countering Disinformation says authorities in the Russian-annexed Crimean Peninsula intend to set up “retraining camps” for teachers from Kherson, Kharkiv and Zaporizhzhia, according to the Ukrinform news agency.

The centre said the camps were aimed at shifting teachers “toward Russian education standards”, Ukrinform reported.

“They want to force them to learn Russian because, according to the occupiers’ logic, children from Ukraine don’t speak their language well enough,” the centre was quoted as saying.

5 hours ago (02:11 GMT)
Russia accused of forcibly removing 150 children from Mariupol
The Crimean Human Rights Group says the Russian military has forcibly removed some 150 children from Mariupol, including 100 sick and wounded children who were in hospital, adding that they were moved “in the direction of” occupied Donetsk and the Russian city of Taganrog.

Petro Andriushchenko, an adviser to Mariupol’s mayor, said the children were taken out of the hospitals without their parents and that these “abducted children” were not orphans.

The human rights ombudsman in Ukraine has said that more than 120,000 children have been forcibly deported to Russia from Ukraine.

5 hours ago (02:06 GMT)
Ukraine completes questionnaire for EU membership: Official
Ukraine says it has completed the questionnaire that is the starting point for the European Union to decide on membership for Kyiv. The questionnaire was handed to Zelenskyy by European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen during her visit to Kyiv on April 8.

An aide to Zelenskyy told the country’s public broadcaster that they expect the European Commission to issue a positive recommendation on Ukraine’s compliance with the necessary criteria.

Ihor Zhovkva, deputy head of Zelenskyy’s office added that Ukraine expects to acquire the status of a candidate country for EU accession in June during a scheduled meeting of the EC.

6 hours ago (01:57 GMT)
Sumy region receives $8.5m for restoration
Dmitry Zhivitsky, the governor of Sumy, says the region has received 250 million hryvnia ($8.5m) from the Ukrainian government to restore destroyed infrastructure.

Russian troops began retreating from the Sumy region, bordering Russia, in early April, and authorities there reclaimed full Ukrainian control over the northeastern region on April 8.

6 hours ago (01:47 GMT)
Russian troops carrying out torture in southern Ukraine: Zelenskyy
Zelenskyy says Russian troops in southern regions of the country have been torturing and kidnapping people.

“Torture chambers are built there,” Zelenskyy said in an evening address to the nation. “They abduct representatives of local governments and anyone deemed visible to local communities.”

He also said the Russians are creating separatist states and introducing Russian currency, the rouble, in occupied parts of the Kherson and Zaporizhzhia regions.

6 hours ago (01:43 GMT)
Two dead, four wounded in Donetsk
Two people have died and four more were injured following Russian shelling in the Donetsk region on Sunday, according to the governor of the Donetsk region.

“It is impossible to determine the exact number of victims near Mariupol and Volnovas,” Pavlo Kyrylenko said on Telegram.

The body of a woman killed in a Russian bombardment lies on a pavement in downtown Kharkiv, April 17 [Felipe Dana/AP Photo]

7 hours ago (00:50 GMT)
Russian TV shows second British man captured in Mariupol
A former British soldier who fought with the Ukrainian army has appeared on Russian television in a video where he identifies himself as: “Shaun Pinner. I am a citizen of the UK. I was captured in Mariupol. I am part of the 36 Brigade First Battalion Ukrainian Marines.”

His appearance comes days after Russian media showed another captured British fighter, Aiden Aslin. Pinner, 48, is believed to have moved to Ukraine four years ago and lived with his wife in Donbas.

In January he told the Daily Mail he was fighting to defend his family and “adopted city”. He also said he feared for his life as “the Russians will treat us differently if we are captured because we are British”.

7 hours ago (00:17 GMT)
Belgium, Estonia and Bulgaria ban Russian ships
Belgium, Estonia and Bulgaria have implemented an EU ban on Russian ships entering their ports, starting from Sunday.
This comes after Italy also barred Russian ships from entering its ports on Sunday as part of extended EU sanctions.

8 hours ago (23:44 GMT)
‘Hot phase’ should be over in two to three weeks: Ukraine official
Fyodor Venislavsky, a member of Ukraine’s Committee on National Security, Defense and Intelligence, says the “hot phase” of the war in Ukraine will end in two to three weeks.

The conflict should be completely over in two to three months, he said on television.

Venislavsky said his assessment was based on a number of factors, including that Ukrainian armed forces “demonstrated how they can push the enemy back,” and that “Western partners have not only changed their assessments that Ukraine urgently needs more new models of weapons, they are already being delivered”.

9 hours ago (22:48 GMT)
Mariupol fighters continue to hold out
Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal says the remaining Ukrainian forces in the port city of Mariupol were still fighting and continued to defy the Russian demand that they surrender.

“The city still has not fallen,” Shmyhal told ABC’s This Week programme.

9 hours ago (22:24 GMT)
UN says 4.8 million refugees have left Ukraine
The UN refugee agency says 4,869,019 Ukrainians have left the country since Russia invaded on February 24 – up 32,574 on Saturday’s total.

“As Christians celebrate resurrection on this sombre Easter Sunday, we must stubbornly hope that in the days, months and years to come the methods and language of war will not prevail over those – more difficult, more complicated – that lead to peace,” said UNHCR chief Filippo Grandi.

The International Organization for Migration says an additional 215,000 third-country nationals have also escaped to neighbouring countries since the war began.

People who fled the war in Ukraine rest in a sports hall being used as a refugee centre, in Medyka, a border crossing between Poland and Ukraine [File: Petros Giannakouris/AP Photo]

9 hours ago (22:03 GMT)
Russian shelling of Kharkiv ‘deliberate terror’: Zelenskyy
At least 18 people have been killed and more than 100 wounded in Russian shelling in the past four days in the northeast Ukrainian city of Kharkiv, according to Zelenskyy, who said in his nightly address that Russia has been shelling Kharkiv constantly.

“This is nothing but deliberate terror: mortars, artillery against ordinary residential quarters, against ordinary civilians,” he said.

Local officials say five people were killed and 20 were wounded on Sunday when a missile and artillery fire hit the city centre and the Saltivka suburb. Al Jazeera was unable to confirm the figures.

rubble in Kharkiv
Firefighters work to extinguish multiple fires after a Russian attack in Kharkiv [Felipe Dana/AP Photo]

10 hours ago (21:23 GMT)
Zelenskyy, IMF managing director discuss ‘post-war reconstruction’
Zelenskyy says he spoke with IMF Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva about his country’s situation on Sunday.

“Discussed with IMF Managing Director Georgieva the issue of ensuring Ukraine’s financial stability & preparations for post-war reconstruction. We have clear plans for now, as well as a vision of prospects. I’m sure cooperation between the IMF & Ukraine will continue to be fruitful,” he wrote in a tweet.

"Discussed with IMF Managing Director @KGeorgieva the issue of ensuring Ukraine's financial stability & preparations for post-war reconstruction. We have clear plans for now, as well as a vision of prospects. I’m sure cooperation between the IMF & 🇺🇦 will continue to be fruitful."
— Володимир Зеленський (@ZelenskyyUa) April 17, 2022

Georgieva later confirmed the call in a post on Twitter.

She wrote support is “essential to lay the foundations for rebuilding a modern competitive #Ukraine”.

10 hours ago (21:20 GMT)
Zelenskyy promises tough resistance in east
Ukraine’s president has said Kyiv is not willing to give up territory in the eastern part of the country to end the war with Russia and is preparing to offer tough resistance in the face of an expected large-scale offensive there.
DaffyVina

Post by DaffyVina »

more from Al Jazeera today:

10 hours ago (07:35 GMT)
Russia says it launched mass attacks on Ukrainian military targets overnight
The Russian defence ministry said in a statement that air-launched missiles had destroyed 16 Ukrainian military facilities, including five command posts, a fuel depot and three ammunition warehouses, as well as Ukrainian armour and forces.

It said those attacks took place in the Kharkiv, Zaporizhzhia, Donetsk and Dnipropetrovsk regions and in the port of Mykolayiv, and that the Russian air force had launched strikes against 108 areas where it said Ukrainian forces and armour were concentrated.

In other areas, the defence ministry claimed its forces had destroyed 12 Ukrainian strike drones and tanks and used Iskander missiles to level four arms and equipment depots in the Luhansk, Vinnytsia and Donetsk regions.

It added that Russian artillery had also struck 315 Ukrainian military targets overnight and that air defence systems had been used to bring down three Ukrainian army helicopters, two MiG-29 fighters and one SU-25 plane.

There was no immediate reaction to the claims from Kyiv.

10 hours ago (07:50 GMT)
Spain to reopen Kyiv embassy in coming days
Spain will reopen its embassy in Kyiv in the coming days, Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has said in an interview with the Antena3 TV network.
The Spanish embassy in Ukraine’s capital was evacuated when Russian troops invaded the country.
This comes after several other European countries, including France, recently announced similar moves.

9 hours ago (08:03 GMT)
Two injured from missiles strikes in Dnipropetrovsk region: Official
Two people have been injured and railway infrastructure was destroyed as a result of a missile attack in Ukraine’s central-eastern Dnipropetrovsk region, according to a local official.

“Two victims in the Sinelnikovsky district. A rocket hit an infrastructure facility there. Rescuers curbed the fire. No people were caught in the Pavlogradsky district. But the railway infrastructure was destroyed,” Valentyn Reznichenko, head of the regional military administration, said on Telegram.

9 hours ago (08:38 GMT)
Kyiv halts evacuations for a second consecutive day over security concerns
Ukraine says it is halting the evacuation of civilians from conflict-affected areas for a second consecutive day due to concerns over Russian attacks.

“For security reasons, it was decided not to open humanitarian corridors today,” Vereshchuk, the country’s deputy prime minister, said in a post on Facebook.

“In violation of international humanitarian law, Russian occupiers do not stop blocking and shelling of humanitarian routes,” she added.

8 hours ago (09:04 GMT)
Luhansk governor says four civilians shot dead while fleeing Russian attack
Serhiy Haidai, the governor of Ukraine’s eastern Luhansk region, says four civilians have been shot dead while trying to flee by car from the town of Kreminna during a Russian attack.

Al Jazeera was unable to independently verify Haidai’s claim.

8 hours ago (09:19 GMT)
Lviv attack shattered windows of hotel housing displaced Ukrainians: AJE correspondent
Al Jazeera’s Hoda Abdel-Hamid, reporting from Lviv, cited local officials as saying that one of the Russian missile attacks in the city hit a “car service facility” on its outskirts.

She added that Lviv’s mayor had said one of the blasts was “so strong that it shattered the windows of a hotel nearby where a number of displaced Ukrainians from other parts of the country were staying.”

8 hours ago (09:47 GMT)
Moscow mayor says 200,000 jobs at risk as foreign firms leave
About 200,000 people risk losing their jobs in Moscow because foreign companies have suspended operations or decided to leave the Russian market, according to the Russian capital’s mayor.

Sergei Sobyanin wrote on his personal blog that the city’s authorities are ready to support people who lose their jobs by providing training and temporary work.

Sweeping western sanctions imposed on Russia over its invasion have hammered the country’s economy, which has also faced an exodus of major foreign firms amid widespread outrage over Moscow’s offensive.

7 hours ago (10:30 GMT)
In video released by Ukraine, Medvedchuk suggests prisoner swap
Ukraine’s security service has released a video showing Medvedchuk asking to be exchanged for Ukrainian troops and civilians in the besieged city of Mariupol.
It was unclear how freely Medvedchuk was speaking in the video, in which he addressed Putin and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.

7 hours ago (10:48 GMT)
Two captured Britons appear on Russian state TV, ask to be swapped
Two British fighters captured in Ukraine by Russian forces have appeared on Russian state television and asked to be exchanged for a pro-Russian politician who is being held by Ukrainian authorities.
It was unclear how freely the two men – Shaun Pinner and Aiden Aslin – were able to talk. Both spoke after being prompted by an unidentified man.
They asked British Prime Minister Boris Johnson to help bring them home in exchange for Ukraine releasing pro-Russian politician Viktor Medvedchuk.

6 hours ago (11:15 GMT)
Lviv mayor says seven people killed by Russian missile attacks
Lviv’s mayor says Russian missile attacks on the city have killed at least seven people in a revision of an earlier death toll provided by local officials.

Andriy Sadovyi said 12 others were wounded in the attacks, which officials had earlier said killed six people.

A hotel sheltering Ukrainians who had fled fighting in the country’s east was among the buildings badly damaged by the attacks, he said.

“The nightmare of war has caught up with us even in Lviv,” Lyudmila Turchak, 47, who fled with two children from Kharkiv, told The Associated Press news agency.

4 hours ago (13:28 GMT)
Russian troops still not in full control of Mariupol, Ukraine says
Ukraine’s defence ministry says Russian forces have not yet taken full control of Mariupol, but warns the situation in the besieged, southeastern port city is now “extremely difficult” for Ukrainian forces there.

Speaking at a media briefing, ministry spokesman Oleksandr Motuzyanyk also said that bombing runs by Russian military aircraft had increased of late by more than 50 percent and that Ukraine’s infrastructure had come in for increased targeting.

The update came after Ukrainian forces inside Mariupol’s encircled Azovstal steel plant on Sunday ignored a Russian ultimatum to lay down their weapons. Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal said the soldiers would “fight to the end” to defend the city.

4 hours ago (13:38 GMT)
‘Unity and strength’: Why Finland and Sweden will join NATO
Russia’s invasion has changed the political discourse in Sweden and Finland about becoming members of the transatlantic military alliance, analysts say.

3 hours ago (14:15 GMT)
Two killed by shelling in Kharkiv, local officials say
Two people have been killed by shelling in Ukraine’s northeastern city of Kharkiv, the local prosecutor’s office says.
Al Jazeera was unable to independently verify the claim.

2 hours ago (15:16 GMT)
Ukraine urges Moscow to agree to Mariupol humanitarian corridors
Ukraine’s deputy prime minister has called on Russia to allow civilians to safely leave Mariupol via a humanitarian corridor as Moscow’s troops press for full control of the city.

Iryna Vereshchuk said in a post on Facebook that Kyiv was also seeking another evacuation route from the encircled Azovstal steel plant, where Ukrainian fighters remain holed up as they bid to prevent Moscow taking complete command of the area.

She warned a refusal by Moscow to agree to the humanitarian corridors would “in the future be a basis for bringing all involved to prosecution for war crimes”.

2 hours ago (15:45 GMT)
Putin promotes brigade accused by Kyiv of carrying out ‘war crimes’ in Bucha
Putin has promoted a brigade of Russian troops who stand accused by Kyiv of having carried out atrocities in the town of Bucha, near Kyiv.

A decree signed by the Russian leader gave the 64th Motor Rifle Brigade the title of “Guards” for defending the “Motherland and state interests” and praised the “mass heroism and valour, tenacity and courage” of its members.

In early April, the Ukrainian defence ministry said the unit had occupied Bucha and had committed “war crimes” there before later withdrawing from the area as Moscow switched its focus to Ukraine’s east.

The ministry’s Intelligence Directorate published the names, ranks and passport details of members of the brigade, saying they will face justice for their alleged actions.

38 mins ago (16:52 GMT)
UN proposes plan for Russia, Ukraine to discuss humanitarian issues
United Nation’s Humanitarian Affairs Chief has said he proposed to Russian and Ukrainian officials, during his visit to Kyiv and Moscow, an arrangement by which the two sides could meet “on a virtual or actual basis at any time to discuss humanitarian issues”.

“Maybe ceasefire monitoring, maybe safe passages … maybe humanitarian priorities,” Martin Griffiths told reporters during a press briefing.

Griffiths said Ukraine had “agreed to most of the proposals we are making while adding that “we have yet to get the same response” from Russia.
DaffyVina

Post by DaffyVina »

Something from another varied source. This time, from https://navalny.com/

Дирижёр путинской войны
12.04.2022, 15:02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9BOyC37JGU

Это Нью-Йорк, и именно отсюда наши западные партнеры строят свои планы по уничтожению нашей страны.

Уверены, что у них ничего не выйдет: главнокомандующий на страже и вокруг Путина его команда. Он не один. Элитная группа, доверенные лица, самые яростные патриоты — они несут ношу, что нужно разъяснять, как правильно должен быть устроен мир, что в Россия при Путине все хорошо. А то, что здесь, демократия — это худшее из того, что изобрело человечество.

Мало того, даже среди доверенных лиц Путина, этого «элитного спецназа», есть сверхлюди, которые не боятся проникать в самые кошмарные места. Эти люди скромны, они никогда о себе не расскажут, но об одном человеке из этого «спецназа» мы вам все же поведуем.

Валерий Гергиев — талантливейший дирижер, известный на весь мир, и один из самых активных сторонников Путина. Он посол Владимира Путина в мире культуры.

Гергиев очень активен: он подписывает все открытые письма, он участвует во всех пропагандистских шоу а-ля «Давайте устроим концерт на обломках Пальмиры».

Он — на линии фронта. На самом деле, Гергиев даже перешел линию фронта и внедрился в тыл врага. В элитной части Нью-Йорка, совсем недалеко от Центрального парка, Гергиев приобрел себе квартиру площадью 165 квадратных метров за $2 500 000 в 2004 году.

Ну ладно, купил квартиру, но штука в том, что он 15 лет это скрывает. Не хочет хвастаться, как тяжела для него эта ноша — одновременно быть доверенным лицом Путина и иметь квартиру в Нью-Йорке.

Найти квартиру Гергиева оказалось очень просто. Запись о ее покупке есть публичном реестре недвижимости Нью-Йорка

Вот этот небоскреб, здесь на 56 этаже и располагается квартира Гергиева — 165 метров, три спальни, три ванные комнаты и огромная гостиная с панорамным видом на Нью-Йорк.

Место совсем не случайное. Здание располагается в Линькольн-центре, отсюда до Метрополитан Опера, где регулярно выступает Гергиев, около трех минут пешком.

Теперь без шуток, почему Валерий Гергиев это сделал. Маэстро талантливый, но лжец и лицемер. У него хватает дохода на эту квартиру, казалось бы, возьми и задекларируй! Но нет, он скрывает и лжет, потому что хочет быть доверенным лицом Путина и готов участвовать в омерзительных пропагандистских шоу.

Потому что если бы эта квартира была в декларации, то каждый раз, когда Путин и Гергиев в очередной раз вешали бы нам лапшу на уши и рассказывали бы про «ужасный Запад», все бы возмущались и говорили: дорогой Гергиев, хватит нам врать, у тебя квартира в Нью-Йорке. Что ты нам рассказываешь сказки?

Поэтому он и врет нам через свою декларацию. А Путин помогает ему врать. По закону Гергиев должен быть немедленно уволен с поста в Мариинке. Но этого не произойдет. И он, и Путин и администрация президента соврут что-то, чтобы объяснить, что все нормально и закон не нарушен. Потому что это власть лицемеров и лжецов. Они могут быть бездарными чиновниками, они могут быть талантливыми музыкантами, но суть не меняется — это всегда власть лицемеров лжецов и мошенников.

Ситуация с тем, что квартира на самом есть (мы видим ее в официальном реестре недвижимости Нью-Йорка), а в декларациях Гергиева о ней не слова, — действительно возмутительная.

Здесь тебе ни сложных схем, ни номиналов, ни дальних родственников, на которых записано имущество. Тут сам чиновник лично владеет квартирой в центре Нью-Йорка и на протяжении многих лет врет, что такой квартиры у него нет.

Чтобы убедиться в подлинности американской выписки и точно подтвердить, что квартира действительно принадлежит нашему Гергиеву, а не какому-то однофамильцу, мы воспользовались самым верным способом. Взяли подпись из документов о покупке квартиры и сравнили ее с подписью самого Валерия Гергиева, любезно предоставленной нам лично маэстро.

Как несложно заметить, и этот автограф, оставленный Гергиевым, и другие, которые удалось найти в интернете, не оставляют никаких сомнений. В 2004 году именно Валерий Гергиев лично купил квартиру в Нью-Йорке и все это время ее скрывал.

Наша короткая (но полезная) встреча с Маэстро произошла в городе Милане, в легендарном театре Ла Скала. Там проходила премьера оперы Пиковая Дама, на которую мы сходили. Премьера состоялась 23 февраля этого года.

Было много зрителей, поклонников, Гергиева встречали великолепно.

Мы не могли предположить или поверить в это тогда, но ровно в то время, как оркестр под руководством Маэстро доигрывал финальные аккорды, во время бурных оваций и аплодисментов счастливых зрителей Ла Скала, Путин начинал бомбить Украину.

Через несколько часов, под утро, он объявил Украине войну. И это был последний концерт Гергиева в Европе.

История с квартирой Гергиева в Нью-Йорке началась еще два с половиной года назад, но тогда эта история была неполной. Слова Навального о том, что Гергиев лжец и лицемер, что Гергиев за взятки и безумные гонорары отмывает репутацию своего доверителя — преступника, могли бы показаться преувеличением, чем-то недостаточно важным или значимым.

Ну прославляет он Путина десятилетиями и что такого — таких людей десятки. Но время расставило все на свои места. Сегодня Путин, доверенным лицом которого служит Гергиев, уничтожает соседнюю страну. Сегодня Путин убивает тысячи российских солдат и даже не забирает их тела.

И наш маэстро больше не лицо великой российской культуры, а лицо обезумевшего диктатора и лицо ужасающей войны, которую Путин начал.

Делая это расследование, мы не могли и предположить, насколько удивительную историю мы найдем. Мы обнаружили, что Гергиев годами цинично ворует на благотворительном фонде своего же имени; что он тратит деньги, которые государство и госкомпании выделяют на помощь Мариинке и молодым талантам, на себя, на элитную недвижимость и на роскошную жизнь.

Перед тем, как мы отправимся в увлекательное путешествие по владениям Валерия Гергиева в России и за рубежом, мы должны получше познакомиться с нашим сегодняшним героем.

Гергиев провел детство в Северной Осетии, там он окончил музыкальное училище, в начале 70-х переехал в Ленинград, закончил консерваторию и стал работать помощником дирижера в Кировском театре, так называлась тогда Мариинка.

В 1988 Гергиев уже стал главным дирижером. Будучи, безусловно, талантливейшим музыкантом, Гергиев выигрывал престижные международные конкурсы еще в Советском союзе, а уж когда границы открыли — Гергиев прогремел на весь мир. В начале 90-х он уже выступает в Баварской государственной опере, в Метрополитан Опере в Нью-Йорке, в Королевской опере в Конвент-Гардене. В 1995 возглавляет Роттердамский филармонический оркестр, а в 2008 он уже во главе Лондонского симфонического оркестра. В 2015 он — главный дирижер Мюнхенской филармонии.

Просто сумасшедше успешная биография. Гергиев вернул Мариинку, которой руководил с 1996 года, на мировой уровень, поставил в один ряд с Метрополитан Опера, Ла Скала, Венской оперой, лучшими театрами мира. Валерий Абисалович мог бы, безусловно, остаться просто великим российским дирижером, гордостью страны, но нашлись вещи, которые он любит больше, чем музыку, — деньги, власть и Путина.

С Путиным Гергиев познакомился еще в начале 90-х в Петербурге.

Там же он познакомился и начал дружить с Кудриным и Грефом.

Гергиев и Кудрин

Гергиев дружит с госбанкиром Костиным, ему дают деньги олигархи Усманов, Тимченко, Евтушенков. Гергиев буквально придворный музыкант всех тех, кто десятилетиями разворовывает страну.

Костин и Гергиев

В чем смысл? Все очень просто. Валерий Гергиев — это такой теневой министр иностранных дел. Специальный человек, очень известный и популярный, которому вверено задание — стать лицом России за рубежом.

Это буквально трюк, подмена, махинация. Своими постановками, своим оркестром, именем Мариинки он должен сместить внимание с того, что Путин грабит и уничтожает Россию (и соседние страны); с того, что он убивает собственных граждан химическим оружием, на то, что … не все так однозначно. Не смотрите на Путина, смотрите на меня! Я буду вам играть Чайковского, Шостаковича, Стравинского, только не смотрите на преступления Путина. Ну, то есть Гергиев как будто ставит свою подпись, свою визу. Вы любите меня, Маэстро, а я люблю Путина.

Давайте на конкретных примерах. В августе 2008 года, сразу после вторжения российских войск в Грузию, Гергиев выступает в разрушенном Цхинвале.

Гергиев дает концерт в Пальмире, приуроченный к войне России в Сирии. Путин там рядышком (правда, по видеосвязи).

Гергиев получает медаль за освобождение Пальмиры и ордена из рук Путина.

https://st.navalny.com/media/cache/95/2 ... 89ddfb.jpg

Гергиев нес олимпийский флаг на церемонии открытия олимпийских игр вместе с Терешковой.

Гергиев выступает на специальном концерте на Красной площади в рамках чемпионата мира по футболу — туда приходит Путин.

Гергиев дает концерт в Зарядье — и туда приходит Путин.

Ну и, конечно же, ролики эти предвыборные: хочешь, чтобы Россию уважали? Голосуй за Путина!

Ок, мы поняли, где Маэстро, там и Путин. Но, возможно, Гергиевым манипулируют? Возможно, его, человека творческого, неполитического, просто обманули или взяли в заложники?

Как бы не так! Гергиев прекрасно и очень четко знает свою роль и задачи по отмыванию репутации Путина за рубежом. На вручении государственной премии в 2016 году Гергиев говорил: «Мы хотим помочь и Сергею Лаврову, с которым я дружу. Как коллективный посол России, появляясь в трудных точках, сделать что-то, чтобы понимание деятельности российского руководства, особенно президента, было более глубинным, прямым и искренним; чтобы понимали, что такое Россия сегодня».

Вот еще прекрасный пример. В Роттердаме в 2014 году Гергиев организует благотворительный концерт, посвященный, внимание, жертвам сбитого над Донбассом Боинга MH17. Маэстро делает проникновенное заявление: «Мое сердце, мысли и соболезнования сейчас с теми, кто скорбит о потере родных и друзей. Проработав в Роттердаме 25 лет, я глубоко ощущаю близость к голландскому народу и разделяю с ним непомерную боль этой трагедии». Как прекрасно, да? Его доверитель, Путин, и его армия этот Боинг сбили, убили триста ни в чем неповинных людей, а Гергиев потом в стране, которая потеряла 192 гражданина, об этом публично скорбит. Удивительное лицемерие.

На уровне конкретных высказываний Гергиев осознанно выстраивает мостик между великой русской культурой, которая в мире всем, безусловно, интересна, и Путиным. Например, благодарил Путина за то, что тот позволили отпраздновать день рождения Прокофьева. Спасибо вам, Владимир Владимирович, за Прокофьева. Без вас про него бы забыли.

Или вот. Это уже после Крыма интервью: «У Владимира Путина ясная и глубоко проникающая логика, когда он говорит о Крыме, ситуации на Украине.». Особенно актуальные строки сейчас. «Президент может все объяснить, во всем убедить. России повезло, у нее сильный лидер!».

Повезло на самом деле не России, а скорее самому Гергиеву. Прямо сейчас Маэстро играет свой главный концерт. Он ни сказал ни слова про войну. Он не осудил, не высказался, не ответил своим поклонникам и работодателям — он молчаливо и покорно поддержал войну.

И был щедро вознагражден. В конце марта, на встрече в Путиным, Гергиеву было предложено воссоздать дирекцию императорских театров, объединить управление Мариинкой и Большим театром.

Вот такие расчетливые, взаимовыгодные отношения. Гергиев Путину лицо, свою репутацию, а Путин Гергиеву — деньги и возможность воровать.

О финансовых махинациях Гергиева со средствами, собранными на благотворительность, мы расскажем чуть позже, а пока давайте посмотрим, как на самом деле выглядела жизнь главного доверенного лица от культуры в свободное от концертов для Путина время.

continued in next post...
DaffyVina

Post by DaffyVina »

continued...

Мы, естественно, не просто так упомянули театр Ла Скала.

Италия, как мы выяснили случайно, по праву может считаться основным настоящим домом Маэстро. Ведь именно тут по всей стране мы обнаружили у Гергиева огромное количество недвижимости, которая принадлежит ему уже много лет.

Редко бывают расследования, которые нас, людей искушенных, могут удивить. Но в случае с Гергиевым мы наткнулись на абсолютно поразительную историю, в которую, если бы не официальные документы, было бы сложно поверить. Ведь речь о российском чиновнике! Сначала мы обнаружили просто ничем не объяснимую коллекцию личной недвижимости Маэстро в восьми итальянских городах на разных концах страны.

Выписки на имущество Гергиева в Италии

Недвижимости достаточно странной и необычной, мы вам ее покажем. Изучив ее и ее историю, мы обнаружили настоящую жемчужину коллекции Маэстро. Но обо всем по порядку.

Наша остановка номер один — столица Италии, Рим. Буквально полчаса езды от центра Рима, и мы в элитном закрытом поселке Olgiata Country Club. Это клубный поселок, в нем есть собственное огромное гольф-поле, два центра верховой езды с крытыми манежами и полосой препятствий, теннисные корты, олимпийский бассейн и рестораны.

И тут есть вот такая вилла.

Внутри 18 помещений, а снаружи замечательный бассейн. Принадлежит она Валерию Гергиеву лично, он ее собственник с 2016 года.

Прекрасное место, безусловно, но Гергиев не декларирует виллу:

И это, пожалуй, самое нормальное из того, что мы вам сегодня покажем. Двигаемся дальше, на 300 км на юг и оказываемся недалеко от Неаполя и Соренто — в небольшом городке Масса-Лубренсе:

Здесь у музыканта целый мыс. Красота невероятная. Море, скалы, зелень — что еще нужно для простого итальянского счастья.

Кстати, Гергиеву принадлежит не только сам мыс, но и кусочек земли.

Общая площадь его владений тут — 56 тысяч квадратных метров. Место только на первый взгляд кажется пустынным и безжизненным, на самом деле тут стоят несколько домов, вид из них просто потрясающий.

Как бы странно не звучали 5,5 гектаров неапольского мыса, странность нашего турне будет лишь нарастать. Следующая остановка — курортный город Римини на побережье Адриатического моря.

Здесь Гергиеву принадлежит много самых неожиданных мест, вот только часть из них: кусок сельскохозяйственной земли в полгектара и небольшой участок земли — на нем стоят несколько строений.

Чуть дальше какой-то пустырь Гергиева.

И вот этот объект, похожий на гоночный трек, за ним, вы не поверите, тоже принадлежит нашему Маэстро. Как и стоящая чуть позади автостоянка. У вас много вопросов? И у нас.

На набережной города у Маэстро есть даже парк аттракционов, который сейчас не работает. Но летом, судя по фотографиям, местные жители здесь неплохо проводят время.

Тут же в окрестностях Римини мы обнаружили в собственности у Валерия Гергиева помещение, в котором находится бар. Он сейчас закрыт.

В другом здании Гергиева поселился ресторан с креативным названием United Tastes of Hamerica's.

И вот это бейсбольное поле тоже принадлежит нашему Маэстро. Поле вполне действующее, ухоженное, можно играть. Два больших поля через дорогу тоже принадлежат Гергиеву.

Прямо у аэропорта Римини Гергиеву принадлежит участок земли в пять гектаров. Его используют как автокемпинг.

Всего у нашего героя в Римини и окрестностях мы обнаружили десятки участков и строений, общей площадью 288 тысяч квадратных метров, почти 30 гектаров.

DaffyVina

Post by DaffyVina »

continued...

Но это еще не все. Мы отправляемся в Милан.

Первое, что мы хотим вам показать, — вот это миланское поле.

Совсем недавно тут была помойка, но Гергиева заставили её убрать. Помойка Маэстро, удивительно!

Прямо за бывшей помойкой находится поле Гергиева площадью 8,5 гектаров. Полей у Маэстро тут действительно много.

Кстати, заброшенный домишко справа тоже его. Как и соседний не заброшенный, в нем 22 помещения.

Дальше — еще 63 гектара участков нашего главного героя.

Еще у Гергиева в окрестностях Милана есть очень страшный заброшенный дом площадью 320 квадратных метра. Место, правда, пугающее — не рекомендуем.

В отличие от этого места, например. Это часть парка в девять гектаров, она тоже принадлежит Маэстро. Все это он сдает городу в аренду.

Всего в Милане мы обнаружили больше 800 тысяч квадратных метров личной земли Гергиева.

Вы наверняка пытаетесь понять, зачем Гергиеву это все? Где Маэстро, а где миланская помойка или ресторан United Tastes of Hamerica's? Это все выглядит очень странно, и чтобы разобраться, нужно внимательно изучить историю всех этих объектов — прошлого собственника, который у всех этих объектов один. Точнее одна.

Очень богатая и достаточно известная дама. Ее зовут Йоко Нагаэ, и история ее достойна художественного произведения.

Она — японская арфистка. В 70-х в Европе она познакомилась с итальянским графом Ренцо Ческино. Он был сильно старше нее и уже через семь лет брака, в 1984 году, он умирает, а овдовевшая Йоко Нагаэ наследует его состояние примерно в 190 млн долларов.

И следующие 30 лет она тратит их исключительно на поддержку музыки. Валерий Гергиев — ее главный любимец и протеже.

Она жертвовала деньги на строительство новой Мариинки, покупала музыкантам инструменты, посещала фестивали и гастроли.

В 2015 году графиня скончалась. Она завещала развеять свой прах над озером Байкал; что Гергиев, в компании с другим доверенным лицом Путина, пианистом Мацуевым, и сделали. В завещании Йоко Нагаэ просила передать графское имущество своего мужа Валерию Гергиеву.

Завещание, если верить реестру, было написано прямо в день смерти Йоко.

Если все эти сельхозугодья, парки аттракционов, кэмпинги, заброшенные дома и бейсбольные поля можно посчитать случайно свалившимися на Гергиева достаточно дурацкими активами (которые, тем не менее, он уже шесть лет не продает), то следующий наш объект — дом, в котором когда-то жила сама графиня Ческино, — это уже настоящая роскошь.

DaffyVina

Post by DaffyVina »

continued...

Об особом интересе Гергиева к этому городу можно было догадаться раньше. Вот посмотрите, новость от 2019 года, Валерий Гергиев объявляет благотворительный концерт, собирает миллион долларов на восстановление затопленного города. Не города Тулун в Иркутской области и даже не сел Краснодарского края. Гергиев собирал деньги на восстановление Венеции! Города, который абсолютно точно занимает особое место в сердце Маэстро.

Все самое интересное в нашем расследовании располагается в Венеции. Все, что вы видели до этого, — записано на Гергиева лично, но у него есть и компания в Италии. На нее записано гораздо более дорогое имущество.

Так на Гранд-канале фирме Гергиева Commercio Edilizio S.R.L. принадлежит роскошный палаццо Барбариго. По сути, городской дворец. Весь фасад здания посвящен Венеции, а мозаика выполнена из муранского стекла.

Маэстро прямо сейчас ремонтирует это здание, очевидно, под какую-то свою резиденцию, где он будет жить и наслаждаться прекрасными венецианскими видами.

Левее от Барбариго есть еще один дворец, построенный в XV веке, и часть его тоже принадлежит фирме Валерия Гергиева.

Но это еще не все. Перед вами самое легендарное место Венеции — площадь Сан-Марко.

Прямо здесь находится ресторан Quadri.

А располагается он в помещении Валерия Гергиева. Это очень старый ресторан, он работает с 1775 года. В отличие от других мест, которые мы вам уже показали, это место — золотая жила. Это главная туристическая точка города, здесь всегда толпы людей. Помещения всегда можно сдать под кафе, ресторан, магазин — под что угодно, и отлично на этом зарабатывать всю оставшуюся жизнь. Этим Валерий Гергиев и занимается.

continued next post (will have to do later today as I need to work!)
DaffyVina

Post by DaffyVina »

Но возвращаемся к самому роскошному и главному зданию в нашей венецианской истории. Палаццо Барбариго нас удивил не только своим затейливым внешним видом и мозаичным фасадом. Этот объект хранит, наверное, главную тайну путинского Маэстро. Давайте смотреть документы. Здание, как мы говорили, принадлежит не напрямую Гергиеву, а одной из его фирм. Фирма ежегодно публикует подробную отчетность — вот, например, информация о владельце компании — все 100% акций у Валерия Гергиева.

Есть его личный итальянский налоговый код, а прямо под ним поле cittadinanza — в переводе на русский гражданство. И название страны, гражданином которой является Гергиев, меньше всего похоже на слово Россия. Он гражданин страны под названием paesi bassi — так на итальянском называются Нидерланды.

О наличии у него иностранного подданства никогда официально не сообщалось, однако Гергиев действительно мог его получить. Он мало того, что возглавлял роттердамский филармонический оркестр, но даже получал от королевы Орден Нидерландского льва.

Из этого же документа, к слову, мы узнали, что эта же фирма Гергиева владела еще семью домами в Милане, они были недавно проданы в общей сложности за 47 миллионов евро.

Два палаццо — это еще миллионов 20 евро минимум. Плюс все эти бесконечные сельхоз-земли и участки на набережной в курортных городах. Только итальянские активы Гергиева можно оценить более чем в 100 миллионов евро.

Все это время мы с вами обсуждали заграничные активы Валерия Гергиева. Недвижимость, которую он тщательно прячет. Если раньше он подавал фальшивые декларации (без нью-йоркской квартиры), то с 2017 года он не отчитывается о своем имуществе вообще. А это абсолютно незаконно — декларации других директоров театров публикуются каждый год. Но если бы Гергиев честно указывал всю свою иностранную недвижимость, то только её итальянская часть заняла бы десятки страниц.

Каждый из нас имеет право знать, как и на что живет руководитель государственного театра, доверенное лицо президента, и сейчас мы вам об этом расскажем. Лично Валерию Гергиеву принадлежат три квартиры в Санкт-Петербурге в одном доме на Воскресенской набережной. Общая площадь квартир — 670 квадратных метров, стоимость около 140 миллионов рублей.

У Гергиева также есть квартира и в Москве: на Тверской за 130 миллионов.

Еще у Гергиева есть собственный концертный зал в поселке Репино.

И дача там же.

Изначально участок в Репино выдали Маэстро в аренду от города. Но потом чудесным образом и земля, и само здание оказались в личной собственности Гергиева.

Концертный зал в Репино

И зал в собственности не у театра, а у Гергиева лично. Используется строго по профилю Маэстро: там проходят закрытые вечеринки для гостей Петербургского экономического форума — Кудрина, Николя Саркози. Там же дают концерты лично для Путина.

Но если бы дело ограничивалось этим: российскими квартирами и дачами, записанными на Маэстро лично, — мы бы даже, наверное, не стали уделять этому внимание. Недвижимость хоть и супердорогая, но и Гергиев — успешный, всемирно известный дирижер. В самом начале поста мы сказали вам: лояльность Гергиева куплена. Это сделка: он любит Путина за деньги и возможность воровать. И сейчас мы вам это докажем.

Return to “Off-topic”