A cheater posed to win Arena and squatting in #1 all-time spot

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
joshpit2003

A cheater posed to win Arena and squatting in #1 all-time spot

Post by joshpit2003 »

*profile*
*profile*
These two accounts are the same person.

This person has been caught cheating.
He has played himself in order to boost ELO:
*table*

* is currently poised to win the #1 spot in Arena.
while * has been squatting on the #1 spot of "all time".

Ample proof has been provided that these two account names are in fact held by the same player.
Many top players know this to be true.

Yet, reports are ignored and he goes unpunished by BGA.
Meanwhile, honest players are being snubbed.

Please bring some honor back to this game and do something.

*Moderation Edit: please do not use the Forums to call players out by name, this is what the Moderation Reports are for. The Forums should remain a general discussion.
msclark

Re: A cheater posed to win Arena and squatting in #1 all-time spot

Post by msclark »

They might well be cheating, I don't know and I'm not defending them, but your evidence for this is ridiculous. The game you linked to is the ONLY game that they've ever played together. This is out of 979 games that * has played and 4069 for *! * plays against a wide variety of different players and regularly wins, so at least on the face of it fully deserves the #1 spot.

Frankly, I would sooner ban you for making fatuous public cheating accusations than either of the players you're accusing.

*Moderation Edit: please do not use the Forums to call players out by name, this is what the Moderation Reports are for. The Forums should remain a general discussion.
sorryimlikethis

Post by sorryimlikethis »

I am actually curious what the proof is... because they both have a substantial amount of wins with a high win rate %.
On top of this * had already won a game 3 weeks prior to that match so wouldn't have needed to win again for another month+ to stay in the rankings.

What can you share with us?

joshpit2003

Post by joshpit2003 »

No doubt [blank] / [blank] is an excellent player.
But that doesn't change the fact that he was caught cheating.

- He is known for creating multiple accounts.
- He hides his IP address.
- He has openly talked about playing both of these accounts to various top players.
- His [blank] ELO chart shows an expectedly great climb, often but not always, an indication of a duplicate account.
- His chat mannerisms are the same.
- His language settings are the same (despite the claimed geographical difference)
- It is well known among the top players that these two accounts are the same.
- His [blank] account makes a game-throwing move that a top-player wouldn't normally make in the game in question.
- He has not yet denied the accusation.
- Other instances of possible (but not provable) cheating have been pointed out as well.

If a player is creating multiple accounts, hiding his IP, and is an excellent player, then it is exceedingly hard to catch a cheat.

I happened to catch one, I made it public, and nothing is being done about it. If anything, I get apologist comments like "it was only once". What's your point? Who knows how many times this has happened in the past? The ELO has been fudged, and thus it is not reputable. Playing against yourself is a direct violation of the rules, which [blank] / [blank] is fully aware of.

He just thought he could get away with it by cheating well.
And now I'm convinced he can.
xate

Post by xate »

The Moderation reports about these players and their game histories were reviewed thoroughly.

The reporting players sited circumstantial evidence and hearsay instead of evidence.

• Players speaking the same language or being from the same country is not enough to convict of ELO cheating.
• repeating that something is “known” without proving it does not make it a fact
• Citing private conversations between third parties with the accused is not evidence.
• Playing one game against another player does not qualify as cheating. These players both play many opponents.

We need multiple examples (e.g. different table numbers) to conclude on cheating by a player. If the person admitted they are cheating in a private message, this could also be sent as a screenshot to our Support. However, we cannot ban players based on hearsay without any evidence.

Please refrain from using the Forums to accuse players.

Return to “Kingdom Builder”