Do people like 2 player Architects? (Current Arena)

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Wonderful Plays

Re: Do people like 2 player Architects? (Current Arena)

Post by Wonderful Plays »

To add a counterpoint: 2P is my favorite player count on BGA and the only one I would play in arena. More players don't add anything to the game, just more noise and downtime IMO. I agree it is nice to play with a lot of players over the board, but online 2P would be my goto and is the most strategic.
Timmaddams

Post by Timmaddams »

I also quite like the 2 player version. But I think 3 players is my favourite.

Additional has the way war is scored changed? At the start of the two player season I was getting 6 points for winning the war, now it's 3. I know this is a strange mechanism for 2 players. Which is right for the rules?

Happy to share game tables for people to see if needs be.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

Timmaddams wrote: 19 April 2022, 07:31 I also quite like the 2 player version. But I think 3 players is my favourite.

Additional has the way war is scored changed? At the start of the two player season I was getting 6 points for winning the war, now it's 3. I know this is a strange mechanism for 2 players. Which is right for the rules?

Happy to share game tables for people to see if needs be.
I would think you get 3 points per player you have a military victory against. So in a 2 player game, that would always be either 0 or 3 points, never 6.
Timmaddams

Post by Timmaddams »

I've had a look at physical rules. In 2 player it is:
0 for draw
3 for win
6 for win when it is 2-0 or you have at least twice as many
haoleboy

Post by haoleboy »

No. This is a perfect three-player game, so playing two-player ruins playing it in Arena.

What's great about this is game at 3p is it's fast, all the decks aren't shared equally, and there's value in coming in second. Too many Arena games are a waste of time when you lose, especially if you've invested more than 20 minutes of your time. I like playing Arena when there's value in making a great attempt to win and coming up short.

I will be playing 3p 7WA as a simple game from here on out!
Join me in celebrating https://SpielMas.com between December 26-31.
Bhaichata

Post by Bhaichata »

Wonderful Plays wrote: 16 April 2022, 13:42 To add a counterpoint: 2P is my favorite player count on BGA and the only one I would play in arena. More players don't add anything to the game, just more noise and downtime IMO. I agree it is nice to play with a lot of players over the board, but online 2P would be my goto and is the most strategic.
The strategy in this game is limited for two players. Its not about speed as opposed to maximising strategic play for me, besides this is a quick game, much like the original.

Some games are great in 2p mode and some are designed for 2p like 7W Duel. Architect is more like the original which is boring in 2p mode.
haoleboy wrote: 24 April 2022, 06:09 No. This is a perfect three-player game, so playing two-player ruins playing it in Arena.

What's great about this is game at 3p is it's fast, all the decks aren't shared equally, and there's value in coming in second. Too many Arena games are a waste of time when you lose, especially if you've invested more than 20 minutes of your time. I like playing Arena when there's value in making a great attempt to win and coming up short.

I will be playing 3p 7WA as a simple game from here on out!
Yeah I'm not playing 7W Architects this season. Tis boring.

Note, I'm actually enjoying other boardgames that are 2P this season, like Dice Hospital, Azule and Potion Explosion and of course the 2P only games like Duel, Clash, etc
Wonderful Plays

Post by Wonderful Plays »

Bhaichata wrote: 26 April 2022, 19:05 The strategy in this game is limited for two players. Its not about speed as opposed to maximising strategic play for me, besides this is a quick game, much like the original.

Some games are great in 2p mode and some are designed for 2p like 7W Duel. Architect is more like the original which is boring in 2p mode.
The strategy is much more limited in higher player counts. 2P is the most skillful in architects.
Signore dei Giochi

Post by Signore dei Giochi »

Hi Everyone!

2 Player games are very funny, but I think the game is better with 3 or more players.
Military becomes way too important in 2 player game and it seems to me that luck plays a bigger part that way.

Ciao!
fowcc

Post by fowcc »

The variance on this game is super high.

After a couple of weeks playing this game I was ranked as high as #23 and now I'm around the low 1000s... didn't change a single thing about my strategy. It's probably like 80% luck and 20% skill... you can certainly LOSE games by playing certain ways but winning comes down to the cards and what board you are given.

The Giza board is particularly absurd in 2-player with it's 30 VPs. It's at 22 even if you don't get the last layer complete. In a 2-player game you don't go to war much at all to get points that way and the games are so brief that most science cards are basically useless unless you get them right away early in a game. 9 times out of 10 whomever completes their wonder first wins and wins easily. Which, outside of the "any card" science perk, comes down to luck of the draw.
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

fowcc wrote: 30 June 2022, 22:22 The variance on this game is super high.

After a couple of weeks playing this game I was ranked as high as #23 and now I'm around the low 1000s... didn't change a single thing about my strategy. It's probably like 80% luck and 20% skill... you can certainly LOSE games by playing certain ways but winning comes down to the cards and what board you are given.
Indeed. It's basically just a coin flip who wins in this format, even more so than in 3 player. And of course all the luck usually goes to my opponent, quite often to a ridiculous degree.

Never again, please.

Return to “7 Wonders Architects”