'allow only lowest number of cards to be captured' rule

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
FelixFelicus7

'allow only lowest number of cards to be captured' rule

Post by FelixFelicus7 »

Hi All,

I completely understand that if say a King matches a King on the board then you must take the King BUT if the board is -
9 1 5 3 2
I cannot find in any 'official' scopa rules it stating that I must take the 9+1 instead of the 5+3+2 especially if the latter includes coins?

Anyone else noticed this? I understand you can choose the 'capture any amount of cards' option but this takes away the core rule of capturing a matching card.
cigma

Re: 'allow only lowest number of cards to be captured' rule

Post by cigma »

On BGA, this is available through a game option. In some variations of the game, at most 2 cards can be captured.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
ovolollolo

Post by ovolollolo »

FelixFelicus7 wrote: 14 April 2022, 04:56 Hi All,

I completely understand that if say a King matches a King on the board then you must take the King BUT if the board is -
9 1 5 3 2
I cannot find in any 'official' scopa rules it stating that I must take the 9+1 instead of the 5+3+2 especially if the latter includes coins?

Anyone else noticed this? I understand you can choose the 'capture any amount of cards' option but this takes away the core rule of capturing a matching card.
you are right, I am from Naples and this rule applies only when the choice is jack/horse/king vs other combinations.
doesn't apply for example when on the board there is 7 5 2 and you want to pick 7
FelixFelicus7

Post by FelixFelicus7 »

Standard Scopa rules always allow ANY combination of cards on the table UNLESS there's a matching value single card. The 'only allow lowest number of cards' option/rule needs tweaking to 'unless there is a matching value card on the table ANY valid combination of cards can be captured' please! There may be some Italian regional variant that only allows a max 2cards to be captured or something, but it is not standard. All published rulebooks & phone apps that I've come across use the 'any' combo if no single matching card exists. Would appreciate if other players support this change.
Vogliovincere

Post by Vogliovincere »

9 1 5 3 2

I totally agree my friend, Standard Scopa rules allow to take any number of cards at own choice. the only limit is taking 10 if you are playing 10 and another 10 is already on the table. BGA do something.
Vogliovincere

Post by Vogliovincere »

9 1 5 3 2

you are right. moreover, if you play activating the option "take any number of cards", another mistake appears: 9 2 7 on the table, you play 9 and you are asked if taking 9 or 7+2.... ridiculous. in Scopa there is no possibility to chose: when a 9 is already on the table and you play 9, you must take 9, no other combination. if we have 7 2 1 6 on the table and you play 9, you can chose to take 6+2+1. THIS IS THE RULE for Scopa. then, you can invent variants, but you BGA cannot change standard Scopa rules, it is a dogma!
Vogliovincere

Post by Vogliovincere »

cigma wrote: 14 April 2022, 21:33 On BGA, this is available through a game option. In some variations of the game, at most 2 cards can be captured.
BGA cannot change rules of Scopa game. yes, they can offer variants and options, but in standard mode if I play 9 I must be able to take 6 + 2 + 1 or 7 + 2 (7, 6, 2, 1 on the table). this is not an option or a variant, it is an historical rule of the game. only in the case a 9 is already on the table I am obliged to take 9 (the same card I play, NOT the "fewer cards"). moreover, applying the option "take all combinations you want" or something like that, we have another problem: 9, 7, 2 on the table, I play 9 and I am allowed to chose if taking 9 or 7+2. this is not possible, BGA cannot change rules, they only can add options.
Vogliovincere

Post by Vogliovincere »

cigma wrote: 14 April 2022, 21:33 On BGA, this is available through a game option. In some variations of the game, at most 2 cards can be captured.
BGA cannot change rules of Scopa game. yes, they can offer variants and options, but in standard mode if I play 9 I must be able to take 6 + 2 + 1 or 7 + 2 (7, 6, 2, 1 on the table). this is not an option or a variant, it is an historical rule of the game. only in the case a 9 is already on the table I am obliged to take 9 (the same card I play, NOT the "fewer cards"). moreover, applying the option "take all combinations you want" or something like that, we have another problem: 9, 7, 2 on the table, I play 9 and I am allowed to chose if taking 9 or 7+2. this is not possible, BGA cannot change rules, they only can add options.
FelixFelicus7

Post by FelixFelicus7 »

Vogliovincere wrote: 28 November 2022, 19:09
Really appreciate your posts & support! Very well explained. Thank you.
MiToITA79

Post by MiToITA79 »

FelixFelicus7 wrote: 10 November 2022, 02:39 Standard Scopa rules always allow ANY combination of cards on the table UNLESS there's a matching value single card. The 'only allow lowest number of cards' option/rule needs tweaking to 'unless there is a matching value card on the table ANY valid combination of cards can be captured' please! There may be some Italian regional variant that only allows a max 2cards to be captured or something, but it is not standard. All published rulebooks & phone apps that I've come across use the 'any' combo if no single matching card exists. Would appreciate if other players support this change.
(As Italian) I support this change!

Return to “Scopa”