We are not agree, and we need to know how play a situation... thanks

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
SamsagaceGamgie

We are not agree, and we need to know how play a situation... thanks

Post by SamsagaceGamgie »

Hello,

We played in 2 players game, with avalanche and black powder and 6 cards by player.

At the beginning of the game, I received a white clue, my hand became : x w x w w x (x = unknown, w = white).

I play left one : x x x w w x

I received yellow clue : x x x m m y (m = multicolour)

Which card must I play ? Me and other player are not agree... Could you say us the convention ? Thanks a lot
Silene

Re: We are not agree, and we need to know how play a situation... thanks

Post by Silene »

Play the yellow card. A new clue is for the leftmost previously unclued card - which is the yellow.

If they wanted you to play the multi and the white, they should clue yellow first and white afterwards.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
SamsagaceGamgie

Post by SamsagaceGamgie »

Thank you for answer. I played the mc card... I was wrong.
Gdjica

Post by Gdjica »

If they wanted you to play the multi and the white, they should clue yellow first and white afterwards.
If he received the yellow clue first his hand would like lik this: xxxyyy
He would play leftmost y, it would turn out it was an m, but it would be fine?
Silene

Post by Silene »

Gdjica wrote: 12 August 2022, 16:38
If he received the yellow clue first his hand would like lik this: xxxyyy
He would play leftmost y, it would turn out it was an m, but it would be fine?
yes. that's why they should do it in this order, if the multi was playable but not the yellow.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Gdjica

Post by Gdjica »

cool
thank you
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

If the clue change the color of a card to the right of the M cards, then that card has the focus.

This is because any other color clue can be given to NOT change that card, and only mark the M cards.
Sombracier

Post by Sombracier »

I also usually consider a color change clue (to multicolor) as an hint to play the left most card, despite ignoring if it s the main behaviour.
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

SamsagaceGamgie wrote: 19 April 2022, 20:53
Which card must I play ? Me and other player are not agree... Could you say us the convention ? Thanks a lot
A convention is an agreement between players. You and your partner did not have an agreement so you did not have a convention.
Conventions are never singular so should never use the definite article 'the'. This basic misunderstanding of conventions is why Hanabi is both a fun clever game in person and the single most toxic element on the BGA site.

If you want to agree a specific convention with your opponent, do so before you make the first move. Otherwise you can only play the clues.
MoiMagnus

Post by MoiMagnus »

RobertBr wrote: 02 September 2022, 10:35 If you want to agree a specific convention with your opponent, do so before you make the first move.
Which any player on BGA does by agreeing on a specific "Convention" option in the setup menu.
Or at least that's how it's supposed to work, but not all said options are clearly defined on the English wiki (https://en.doc.boardgamearena.com/Gamehelphanabi), let alone on other language's wikis. And on top of that there should be a "none" or "other" or whatever as a default, so that selecting such an option is deliberate.

(And ideally, posts on this forum should disclaim the name of the BGA convention they are using, like "the Standard convention (on BGA)", when they are asking clarifications about a convention)

Return to “Hanabi”