Clues translation

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Safajones

Clues translation

Post by Safajones »

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering how the clue words are translated.
Is is automatically translated? Because I've seen some words that in my opinion could have a better translation.
And I didn't find these words in the translation center to give the suggestions.
There are clue words that seem automatically translated, it's not a word that brazilian/poruguese people would use.

Thanks for the clarifications.
Mine Hawk

Re: Clues translation

Post by Mine Hawk »

Hello, same problem happening on me too. I want to translate clues to my own language but when I open "Stella - Dixit Universe" translation files, I can't find any single clue to translate.
darhf

Post by darhf »

The words are pulled from the official published version of the game.
Unlike other games on BGA, they are not translatable from the interface as they were already localized by professionals.

The language is set at table level, so everyone at the table has the same word, independant of player language; So I don't know what you are comparing translations to.

There are differences between languages to account for cultural/geographical/homonyms etc.
Mine Hawk

Post by Mine Hawk »

darhf wrote: 23 April 2022, 11:43 Unlike other games on BGA, they are not translatable from the interface as they were already localized by professionals.
But some languages are not translated yet. I don't complain, I just want to help.
toddcarson

Post by toddcarson »

Greetings, I am too experiencing the same issue. I am trying to translate hints from "Stella - Dixit Universe" into my own language, but I am unable to locate any translation files that include any clues. wordle today
Nastaa

Post by Nastaa »

Hello, the clues are not translatable in BGA. This is not something specific to Stella, all games with clues/words are using lists from the publisher/editor (eg. Perfect Words, Concept, Haiclue, Just One).
Phoxtrot

Post by Phoxtrot »

And this makes sense.
As for a game like Codenames, the words were chosen separately in each language.

If you play with say English as the game language, you should *not* want the English clue to be translated to your language.
You want the original clue so that you can leverage all the meanings of the word. No 1 to 1 translation can achieve that.

If you aren't sure about a word, you should look up its definition(s) in a dictionary.
That's what I do when I play in Dutch as I'm not confident enough in my Dutch vocabulary.

Return to “Stella – Dixit Universe”