best games for asynchronous play

General discussion on board games
StephenMcG

best games for asynchronous play

Post by StephenMcG »

I have been playing on this site all the way through the pandemic. My biggest beef is that there is little signposting on what games work best real-time and which shine in asynchronous play.

There are games like Puerto Rico that are painful if you are not all round the board at the same time, there are games that benefit from watching other players make their moves (like Carcassone) and there are others that play well regardless of whether you are in real-time or in asynchronous play (like 7 Wonders).

I was wondering if folk have favourite games for asynchronous play? Or games that should be 100% avoided unless you are playing real-time? Should BGA have a category to advise on this?

Stephen
RicardoRix

Re: best games for asynchronous play

Post by RicardoRix »

Personally I have no problem like that. It's quite easy most of the time to see what moves other players have made.
If anything it's nice to have as much time as you like, and you're never rushed.

There are only a handful of games that just don't work turn-based, like Concept (although it should imo) and Dobble.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

Most card games don't work in turn-based for me, I must say.
cigma

Post by cigma »

StephenMcG wrote: 27 April 2022, 11:51 Should BGA have a category to advise on this?
Indeed they have. You can filter the games site for Specific and then Recommended for turn-based games: https://boardgamearena.com/gamelist?specificTag=29

But actually there are only 9 games on this list.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
cigma

Post by cigma »

Another game that can be played very well as turn-based is Dungeon Roll. Actually you only play three "turns" or sessions. In each session you can take a lot of actions (about 20), so they will last about 4-5 minutes each.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
blossom-

Post by blossom- »

I prefer turn-based when possible and it's definitely funny realizing which games do and do not work for it. Seasons, for example, your entire turn can literally be choosing a dice roll.
Greyweather

Post by Greyweather »

Dice Hospital does well with asynchronous play because all of the worker placement is done simultaneously.
jeffus

Post by jeffus »

Currently I’m really enjoying 2 games in asynchronous mode: Great Western Trail and Clans of Caledonia. The extra time for planning moves makes for a more relaxing experience.
cowboy_dan

Post by cowboy_dan »

The Castles Of Burgundy is terrific for asynchronous play. Tye implementation has an undo turn button so you can try a few things out before committing to your turn.
Greyweather

Post by Greyweather »

Arctic Scavengers is great for asynchronous play because when your turn comes around you all of your actions this round before you pass to the next player.

Return to “Discuss about board games”