How are BGA player scores calculated?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
tyranno25

How are BGA player scores calculated?

Post by tyranno25 »

I was just in game where I came in second, losing on the tie breaker, where the final scores were 43, 43, 41, and 37. The winner got a BGA score of 67 points! What the?? And I got just 5 points despite playing very well. How are these BGA scores calculated? This seems very unfair for such a close game. And I’ve never seen anyone get that many points before. I did see that the player has only played a few games so far and won most of them so far. Are these BGA points higher when you win if you’ve played fewer times?
Jellby

Re: How are BGA player scores calculated?

Post by Jellby »

https://boardgamearena.com/faq?anchor=faq_account_elo

TL;DR: ELO points are only based on victory/loss, and against whom. It doesn't matter how close the victory/loss, or what the score is.
BenInJapan

Post by BenInJapan »

Also you get a bonus for the first couple of matches you play each game, that usually results in pretty scores for the winner of multi player games, as you might have observed here
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

In that game, you got 208 elo:
- you lost against the first one (181 elo) which cost you -10.77 elo
- you win against the third one (250 elo) which give you +11.23 elo
- you win against the forth one (138 elo) which give you +8.02 elo

Since you played more than (60?) games on that game, you K-factor is 20. I will explain later.

The other player which got 181 elo:
- win against you (208 elo) which give him +21.55 elo
- win against the third one (250 elo) which give him +23.96 elo
- win against the forth one (138 elo) which give him +17.54 elo

Since he played between (20?) and (40?) games, his K-factor is 40. Since his K-factor is the double of yours he will win and lose twice the amount of elo of you.

So if you compare the gain between the third player, you gained +11.23, he gained +23.96 which is doubled, so if it was not doubled it would be +11.98 elo, those gains are similar, he gained a little more since he started a little below you in elo.
tyranno25

Post by tyranno25 »

Thanks, everyone. These were all very helpful replies.

Return to “7 Wonders Architects”