Cheating or luck?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
blizzard20

Cheating or luck?

Post by blizzard20 »

Hi,
I just had a game with a really strange incident at the end.
The situation was the following:
It was the other player turn, which he had 6 checkers to remove in order to win, and he got 6-3 in the cubes, which means he remove 2 checkers and left with 4 checkers, 3 of them on the "6" column.
I had 2 checkers left, but non on the "1" column.
for some reason, he waited ~30 seconds before play his dice (which was really weird, he play really fast the entire game, and in that specific moment there was nothing to think about) until he finally did the "6-3" roll.
Write after that, I got 6-1, which didn't let me the win.
You can guess what was the result of the other player roll right after... it was 6-6..
Luck or did he took the time to somehow influence the dice (I believe it's not possible, but...)
Frustrating as hell!
sorryimlikethis

Re: Cheating or luck?

Post by sorryimlikethis »

If you could somehow manipulate the dice rolls by waiting a certain amount of time I'm sure there would be people with much higher win rate % and ELO. Your opponent is pretty average in both those departments, nothing suspicious.

Just bad luck. There was only one winning dice combination they could have rolled and they got it. 1/36 chance is unlikely but nothing to be alarmed about (although I completely understand feeling upset about it).
Andy 2022

Post by Andy 2022 »

Well, I am really convinced, that the IA always tries to egalize results as good as possible. When there are players with different ELO its quite often that the weaker one wins by getting a lot more doubles or so. Also the AI doubles often at the end.

I don't want to blame but find this thread a good place to write down what I think for a long time.

I do play Backgammon here only if the other games I like don't fit atm or to help newbies.
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

There is no AI here. Just RNG.
Andy 2022 wrote: 31 May 2022, 11:28 When there are players with different ELO its quite often that the weaker one wins by getting a lot more doubles or so. Also the AI doubles often at the end.
Yes, it does happen often but not guided by AI, just normal RNG is enough in Backgammon to let the lower ranked players win often.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

Andy 2022 wrote: 31 May 2022, 11:28When there are players with different ELO its quite often that the weaker one wins by getting a lot more doubles or so.
From https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... lo#p106565 :
aussie19 wrote: 17 February 2022, 05:47I totally agree the higher rated player seems to get all the luck every game on this site
groka

Post by groka »

I played a lot of backgammon games in real life and never saw that one of the players is so often preferred by the rolls. I can't belive that this is really a RNG. I would rather say, that this is a sadistic AI :-) Sometimes it's positive for me and sometimes for the other player, but it's always frustrating for the other one. I also play backgammon only if no other game is ready to play or if I have not enough time for other games.
embattled llama

Post by embattled llama »

I would swear the dice are rigged with games I play at home with my partner, except we use a cup to throw them. :D :D :D
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Did you buy the cup from a reputable seller, or did you get a cheap rigged one? :D
Tuut Tuut tis Luut

Post by Tuut Tuut tis Luut »

Andy 2022 wrote: 31 May 2022, 11:28 Well, I am really convinced, that the IA always tries to egalize results as good as possible. When there are players with different ELO its quite often that the weaker one wins by getting a lot more doubles or so. Also the AI doubles often at the end.

I don't want to blame but find this thread a good place to write down what I think for a long time.

I do play Backgammon here only if the other games I like don't fit atm or to help newbies.
Classic confirmation bias. When a much lower ranked player
wins, it's noteworthy, so you remember it better than the many more games where they don't. And since they're playing a stronger opponent. When they win it will generally be thanks to a row of lucky rolls. Simply cause skill isn't on their side, so luck is the only way they CAN win.

Adding to this, is that in order to get a 'lucky win' with doubles. You already have to be in a losing position (or at least close tie).

So yes, you are right in a sense, better players do roll less lucky doubles. Not because they roll less doubles, but because whenever they do, they are more likely to be in a position where it doesn't make a real difference anyways.
lutherackerman

Post by lutherackerman »

blizzard20 wrote: 03 May 2022, 22:11 Hi,
I just had a game geometry dash lite with a really strange incident at the end.
The situation was the following:
It was the other player turn, which he had 6 checkers to remove in order to win, and he got 6-3 in the cubes, which means he remove 2 checkers and left with 4 checkers, 3 of them on the "6" column.
I had 2 checkers left, but non on the "1" column.
for some reason, he waited ~30 seconds before play his dice (which was really weird, he play really fast the entire game, and in that specific moment there was nothing to think about) until he finally did the "6-3" roll.
Write after that, I got 6-1, which didn't let me the win.
You can guess what was the result of the other player roll right after... it was 6-6..
Luck or did he took the time to somehow influence the dice (I believe it's not possible, but...)
Frustrating as hell!
I think it's just a luck

Return to “Backgammon”