Abandon request as a cheat strategy (* is a cheater)

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Molbertino Aquarelli

Abandon request as a cheat strategy (* is a cheater)

Post by Molbertino Aquarelli »

Recently I played with the current #4 in the rating list, *, who appears to be quite a strong player but using a peculiarity of the move confirmation to cheat when the game goes wrong for him. He proposes to abandon, but if you disagree, he lets time go off and (attention!) you can't expel the opponent - every time you try it, he starts placing some tiles without move confirmation.
I checked it, and during last three days since our game he used this cheat three times - when his opponents were getting better board or KT6 in 2019 edition:
This is a clear cheating approach in CoB, which everybody can use and get much much better results.

*Moderation Edit: please do not use the Forums to call players out by name, this is what the Moderation Reports are for. The Forums should remain a general discussion.
Qualitaetsgarant

Re: Abandon request as a cheat strategy (* is a cheater)

Post by Qualitaetsgarant »

Sadly both moderators and admins have left this place as it seems. Nothing will happen.

We have a known cheater at Tichu for half a year now. Emails and notifications are unresponded. After 5-6 tries I gave up.
Pistol Star

Post by Pistol Star »

Good work!
I have looked at the games and it is absolutely clear that he is cheating.
I hope this time something will happen. If not, then we shouldn't call any BGA format as being competitive anymore.
I remember a former top 10 player in this game was playing against him self and just collecting ELO in the most obvious way possible and he got no punishment at all. Only the other way lower ranked account got a little bit punished!?!?
Pistol Star

Post by Pistol Star »

Molbertino Aquarelli wrote: 04 May 2022, 19:47 Recently I played with the current #4 in the rating list, *, who appears to be quite a strong player but using a peculiarity of the move confirmation to cheat when the game goes wrong for him. He proposes to abandon, but if you disagree, he lets time go off and (attention!) you can't expel the opponent - every time you try it, he starts placing some tiles without move confirmation.
I checked it, and during last three days since our game he used this cheat three times - when his opponents were getting better board or KT6 in 2019 edition:
This is a clear cheating approach in CoB, which everybody can use and get much much better results.
Nothing at all seems to happen. Did you report him?
Molbertino Aquarelli

Post by Molbertino Aquarelli »

Pistol Star wrote: 08 May 2022, 11:54
Molbertino Aquarelli wrote: 04 May 2022, 19:47 Recently I played with the current #4 in the rating list, *, who appears to be quite a strong player but using a peculiarity of the move confirmation to cheat when the game goes wrong for him. He proposes to abandon, but if you disagree, he lets time go off and (attention!) you can't expel the opponent - every time you try it, he starts placing some tiles without move confirmation.
I was not allowed to report him technically since we've just abandoned the game. Or maybe I just did not find a way to report him. I reported a bug, but can't find it now. I don't know, I decided to write it here at least.
Pistol Star

Post by Pistol Star »

Molbertino Aquarelli wrote: 08 May 2022, 15:31
Pistol Star wrote: 08 May 2022, 11:54
I was not allowed to report him technically since we've just abandoned the game. Or maybe I just did not find a way to report him. I reported a bug, but can't find it now. I don't know, I decided to write it here at least.
Yeah, I just also looked into it and it looks like nothing can be done about it except reporting a bug of the game. You did the best you could by reporting the bug and writing a thread about it. Well done :)
Silene

Post by Silene »

I would try to report them for forcing you into abandonning. Is it really impossible to report without any chat line?

Doesn't the 20sec countdown need a move to complete? I thought they changed it from "taking an action" to "completing the turn" a few years back?

Can someone give a link to that bug report?
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
aaronkw

Post by aaronkw »

I'm a bit late to this party but I used to play under a different username and reported this exact issue with this exact player a few weeks before you reported it here. I posted a forum post here about it viewtopic.php?t=25217 and this was the game with the blatant cheater * * and I even posted a bug report for it here https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=30298. Absolutely nothing has been done about it. This absolutely made me so angry because it undermines the entire system, and the general apathy from the platform to address this stuff really hurts itself.
RYANDING

Post by RYANDING »

https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=305995856

I had the pleasure to watch this game and witnessed how Player Z was trying desperately to ask the opponent to abandon the game, in order to avoid a loss. When his request to abandon the game was rejected, he then resorted to asking the opponent to agree to switch to a turn-based game, in an attempt to permanently stall and never finish the game so as to avoid a loss. When all his attempts were rejected, he bitterly finished the game and took the loss.

The reason why the opponent was able to resisting accepting those pathetic requests was that I happened to be watching the game and knew what Player Z was trying to cheat and I kindly sent the opponent multiple messages about the way Player Z usually cheats.

I think as a serious board gamer, Player Z fails miserably because he doesn't enjoy the game anymore and does silly things only to keep his ranking. He doesn't play with any high level opponents. All he does every day is to wait for the system to match apprentice level or worse still beginner level players. How pathetic.
Pistol Star

Post by Pistol Star »

RYANDING wrote: 07 October 2022, 04:31 https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=305995856

I had the pleasure to watch this game and witnessed how Player Z was trying desperately to ask the opponent to abandon the game, in order to avoid a loss. When his request to abandon the game was rejected, he then resorted to asking the opponent to agree to switch to a turn-based game, in an attempt to permanently stall and never finish the game so as to avoid a loss. When all his attempts were rejected, he bitterly finished the game and took the loss.

The reason why the opponent was able to resisting accepting those pathetic requests was that I happened to be watching the game and knew what Player Z was trying to cheat and I kindly sent the opponent multiple messages about the way Player Z usually cheats.

I think as a serious board gamer, Player Z fails miserably because he doesn't enjoy the game anymore and does silly things only to keep his ranking. He doesn't play with any high level opponents. All he does every day is to wait for the system to match apprentice level or worse still beginner level players. How pathetic.
It's quite hilarious reading this from you. You played against yourself 38 times. RYANDING vs ryanding2. Let's all guess what the outcome of every single game was and how ryanding2 played in these games...

Return to “The Castles of Burgundy”