Twilight Imperium

Future games in need of testing and feedback
Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on: https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
JesterTDA

Re: Twilight Imperium

Post by JesterTDA »

Detriment wrote: 23 January 2024, 03:22 It's the internet, you could offer someone $100 for free and they'll be mad it wasn't $200.

That said, the rest of us will peacefully wait until it's ready to roll. Appreciate the updates.
I would like my $200 AND TI4 on BGA...does that make me a bad person? :)
Anzelak

Post by Anzelak »

Is there any news at all on this? It doesn't seem unfair to get a little status update. I mean: take your time, cook til you're done etc.

But is there any news?
GTSchemer

Post by GTSchemer »

Thank you for your patience -- I do not have specific status at this time, except to say that we both want it playable as soon as possible.
OwnerOfTheIronThrone

Post by OwnerOfTheIronThrone »

I really love the game, but for it to be actually playable it will need real good real time implementation. Because of number of time windows for other players to interrupt your turn it would be literally impossible to finish a turn based game if timings were resolved according to the rules. I hope it turns out best it could because TI4 might be my favourite board game.
GTSchemer

Post by GTSchemer »

OwnerOfTheIronThrone wrote: 29 March 2024, 19:32 I really love the game, but for it to be actually playable it will need real good real time implementation. Because of number of time windows for other players to interrupt your turn it would be literally impossible to finish a turn based game if timings were resolved according to the rules. I hope it turns out best it could because TI4 might be my favourite board game.
This has been a concern since the start, and I have put a lot of thought into it, and potential ways to speed up certain actions in turn-based play.

One major issue is that to my knowledge, BGA itself has a limitation on real-time tables. They are deleted without warning if they go a certain amount of time (4-8 hours) without activity. This is not a problem if all players are active, but it could be a crushing blow if players decided to pause their game overnight and forgot to change it to turn-based mode first.

A second issue is that players might not realize what they are signing up for. Unless you are a TI4 veteran, it can be hard to imagine a board game that literally takes 6-8 hours in real life. The average BGA player agreeing to a real-time game really needs to be aware of what they would be signing up for, e.g. they do not have any children or pets that need taken care of, and their whole afternoon is reserved.

For these reasons, I suspect it may be best to simply make a turn-based table with friends, but agree to play it real-time until life gets in the way and the game is paused overnight.
KalSeanEl

Post by KalSeanEl »

if you were only giving a window to play a card if you have one that can be played would this speed it up i know it takes away the bluffing and may be an option to toggle on and off to let you play cards only in combats your involved in or when some thing effect you?
GTSchemer

Post by GTSchemer »

KalSeanEl wrote: 30 March 2024, 19:54 if you were only giving a window to play a card if you have one that can be played would this speed it up i know it takes away the bluffing and may be an option to toggle on and off to let you play cards only in combats your involved in or when some thing effect you?
That is indeed the plan -- allow each player to secretly opt in / toggle such a timing window for themselves.
JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

GTSchemer wrote: 29 March 2024, 19:54 For these reasons, I suspect it may be best to simply make a turn-based table with friends, but agree to play it real-time until life gets in the way and the game is paused overnight.
Is there a way to default to turn-based games or even remove the option of real-time?
GTSchemer

Post by GTSchemer »

JesterTDA wrote: 02 April 2024, 15:11
GTSchemer wrote: 29 March 2024, 19:54 For these reasons, I suspect it may be best to simply make a turn-based table with friends, but agree to play it real-time until life gets in the way and the game is paused overnight.
Is there a way to default to turn-based games or even remove the option of real-time?
I suspect it is technically possible, but I also expect some number of users would complain because they want the turn timers.

I do not know a good answer to this. If it were all up to me, I would advise only turn-based games be allowed, with some coordination ahead of time for people who want to play live (but still in "turn-based" mode). That would have to be "talk to your friends manually" though, since I don't think BGA has any area for discussing and scheduling games right now.
vvelvenvv

Post by vvelvenvv »

GTScheme,

I wanted thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving us a snippet of update as to the direction the development is going! Looking forward to this implementation!

Thank you again for commenting for us!

Return to “"Alpha" games”