Twilight Imperium

Future games in need of testing and feedback
Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on: https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
mdpeterson42

Re: Twilight Imperium

Post by mdpeterson42 »

max827w wrote: 14 October 2023, 06:39 I don't think a turn based game Will last for and excessive amount of time.
A normale game of ti last 5-6 round right?
In each round you May do:
Some tactical action, but the 80-85% of the time you don't Attack anyone so the turn Is fast
One strategical action , and this could be a slow action because you have tò wait the others player for the secondary ability of the strategica card
And the componenti actions, that are quite rare and usually doesn't involve other players
Then there Is the council phase, but only After Simeone take mercatol Rex

I think that a TI turn based game Will last 25-30 days
I've had turn-based games of Can't Stop last longer than that lol.
JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

mdpeterson42 wrote: 16 October 2023, 05:25 I've had turn-based games of Can't Stop last longer than that lol.
Exactly. All depends upon people's play time and how often they're logging in.
max827w wrote: 14 October 2023, 06:39 I don't think a turn based game Will last for and excessive amount of time.
Some tactical action, but the 80-85% of the time you don't Attack anyone so the turn Is fast
One strategical action , and this could be a slow action because you have tò wait the others player for the secondary ability of the strategica card
And the componenti actions, that are quite rare and usually doesn't involve other players

I agree. I also plan on being able to find an hour or two here and there to play so it shouldn't be too bad.
mrnormative

Post by mrnormative »

A big source of lag is going to be the "component actions," which really aren't all that rare. In particular, any time anyone plays an action card, you're going to need to go around and wait for each other player to decide whether or not to play a Sabotage. And you sort of have to wait even if nobody has a sabotage, because otherwise you're leaking critical strategic information about whether anyone is sitting on one.

landon1013

Post by landon1013 »

Tisaac wrote: 06 October 2023, 14:15
SiRan90 wrote: 06 October 2023, 10:32 Is it possible that they have done a side development? Considering ffg and bga are owned by the same people they could just have the development separate
What do you mean ? Games on BGA are never implemented by BGA team anyway, so it's always a "side development".
Shogun2049 wrote: 06 October 2023, 12:41 Any guesses as to how long the game might end up being for each player count? How many players do you expect max?

Going to have to try this with 5-6 players in real time.
That's a interesting question. I would exect games to be faster in RT, saving some time during setup and with some automatic steps. But I could see TB tables stretch over a very long period due to turns intrications.
This seems like such a strange game for BGA although exciting.... I'm interested in knowing how many people have 6ish hours to sit at a computer to play it in RT and playing turn based could literally take weeks if not months haha.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

landon1013 wrote: 21 October 2023, 04:42
SiRan90 wrote: 06 October 2023, 10:32 Is it possible that they have done a side development? Considering ffg and bga are owned by the same people they could just have the development separate
What do you mean ? Games on BGA are never implemented by BGA team anyway, so it's always a "side development".
Shogun2049 wrote: 06 October 2023, 12:41 Any guesses as to how long the game might end up being for each player count? How many players do you expect max?

Going to have to try this with 5-6 players in real time.
That's a interesting question. I would exect games to be faster in RT, saving some time during setup and with some automatic steps. But I could see TB tables stretch over a very long period due to turns intrications.
This seems like such a strange game for BGA although exciting.... I'm interested in knowing how many people have 6ish hours to sit at a computer to play it in RT and playing turn based could literally take weeks if not months haha.
Again, that's by far not the longest game on bga at all, so playing a table in TB over weeks and months is quite normal for complex games on bga. RT is another mater indeed !
JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

landon1013 wrote: 21 October 2023, 04:42 This seems like such a strange game for BGA although exciting.... I'm interested in knowing how many people have 6ish hours to sit at a computer to play it in RT and playing turn based could literally take weeks if not months haha.
I have friends who live 4 hours away and we get together a few times a year to play all various different things. We play BGA together constantly though so even though I'd imagine a lot of our TI4 time will be turn based we'll probably set aside an hour or two here and there to be online chatting while playing and then do something else depending upon who all is online. I personally have very little interest in a real-time game with randos who could leave me hanging (or I could lose internet or a dog could get sick or whatever).
landon1013

Post by landon1013 »

Tisaac wrote: 21 October 2023, 07:17

Again, that's by far not the longest game on bga at all, so playing a table in TB over weeks and months is quite normal for complex games on bga. RT is another mater indeed !
What is the longest game on BGA?
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

landon1013 wrote: 13 November 2023, 07:27
Tisaac wrote: 21 October 2023, 07:17

What is the longest game on BGA?
War games. Unconditionnal surrender for instance, or other games made by this crazy bga developper (TALON and others)
erkademon

Post by erkademon »

Playing on Discord works pretty good, and its a large community, so I don't see why this shouldn't work. Of course it takes lots of time, and being the game it is, with negotiations etc., its important that having dialog works smoothly. But as long as that works, this well be great :-)
JRufer

Post by JRufer »

Any updates when this will be on BGA?

Return to “"Alpha" games”