Twilight Imperium

Future games in need of testing and feedback
Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on: https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Shogun2049

Re: Twilight Imperium

Post by Shogun2049 »

Any guesses as to how long the game might end up being for each player count? How many players do you expect max?

Going to have to try this with 5-6 players in real time.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

SiRan90 wrote: 06 October 2023, 10:32 Is it possible that they have done a side development? Considering ffg and bga are owned by the same people they could just have the development separate
What do you mean ? Games on BGA are never implemented by BGA team anyway, so it's always a "side development".
Shogun2049 wrote: 06 October 2023, 12:41 Any guesses as to how long the game might end up being for each player count? How many players do you expect max?

That's a interesting question. I would exect games to be faster in RT, saving some time during setup and with some automatic steps. But I could see TB tables stretch over a very long period due to turns intrications.
sackdisaster

Post by sackdisaster »

Shogun2049 wrote: 06 October 2023, 12:41 Any guesses as to how long the game might end up being for each player count? How many players do you expect max?

With the physical version, POK included, my core TI group takes about an hour per player. When we add newer players to the mix, it tends to add about two hours total regardless of how many new players and our player count. I'd venture to guess we're on the faster end of TI groups with those playtimes.

I've played TI4 digitally several times real-time and turn-based, always with friends. Real-time has always tracked the same general runtime for us, I'd expect it's faster with strangers (less discussion, more shooting). Turn-based can take 5 or 6 months, though BGA has a customizable turn timer that thoughtful players obey, so this might be the ideal venue for TB. I'll personally likely limit my TI4 interactions with strangers to real-time, arena, and tournament, saving unranked turn-based for friends only.

It's just conjecture, but I'd guess that the day one version of this implementation will NOT support 7-8 players.
sackdisaster

Post by sackdisaster »

Tisaac wrote: 06 October 2023, 07:17
sackdisaster wrote: 06 October 2023, 00:19
landon1013 wrote: 05 October 2023, 21:07
This post reeks of condescending verbiage. Let the man be excited, what was the point in your condescending answers?
Tisaac has programmed dozens of (the best implemented) games here, it's good for him to temper expectations according to his very legitimate experience with timing and secrecy. TI4 is a gigantic win even with no info at this time- I don't remember ever seeing another release here teased prior to alpha.
This is indeed quite surprising to tease a game that is not even in alpha, i am not sure what is the goal of this announcement and if it was publisher or bga that pushed torward it. Since it's a very big and complex project, i find it rather dangereous since it will build up expectations a lot, unless the games is really close from alpha, but i am almost sure that's not the case at that stage.
That being said, since essen is only once per year, maybe that just mean that it will come before the next Essen, which would be reasonnable indeed, even though a bit misleading to call that "soon".
Here's a great wager - which comes first? TI4 in alpha OR Bohnanza out of alpha? lol
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

sackdisaster wrote: 06 October 2023, 15:35
Tisaac wrote: 06 October 2023, 07:17
sackdisaster wrote: 06 October 2023, 00:19

Tisaac has programmed dozens of (the best implemented) games here, it's good for him to temper expectations according to his very legitimate experience with timing and secrecy. TI4 is a gigantic win even with no info at this time- I don't remember ever seeing another release here teased prior to alpha.
This is indeed quite surprising to tease a game that is not even in alpha, i am not sure what is the goal of this announcement and if it was publisher or bga that pushed torward it. Since it's a very big and complex project, i find it rather dangereous since it will build up expectations a lot, unless the games is really close from alpha, but i am almost sure that's not the case at that stage.
That being said, since essen is only once per year, maybe that just mean that it will come before the next Essen, which would be reasonnable indeed, even though a bit misleading to call that "soon".
Here's a great wager - which comes first? TI4 in alpha OR Bohnanza out of alpha? lol
I would definitively bet on TI4 ;)
SilentNSly

Post by SilentNSly »

Please include MiltyDraft as an option for setup. It has become my favourite way of setup.
sandergs

Post by sandergs »

Because of Spiel's announcement I've bought premium! Can't wait to play it :D
JesterTDA

Post by JesterTDA »

I have two groups of people I've played TI4 in-person with. One group is on BGA already and the other has never created an account. Both groups are exciting about this upcoming release (with the second group making accounts soon). I'd expect most of our games will be TB based because it's REALLY hard to set aside 4+ hours to play anything, even online.

Mostly though I'm super excited about this game being on BGA because it'll make those rare occasions of playing in-person run smoother because I'll know the game better. Just so thrilled when I saw this news (a week later than others...stupid internet not knowing all of my hopes and desires!)
PegasusDragon1

Post by PegasusDragon1 »

JesterTDA wrote: 12 October 2023, 16:41 I have two groups of people I've played TI4 in-person with. One group is on BGA already and the other has never created an account. Both groups are exciting about this upcoming release (with the second group making accounts soon). I'd expect most of our games will be TB based because it's REALLY hard to set aside 4+ hours to play anything, even online.

Mostly though I'm super excited about this game being on BGA because it'll make those rare occasions of playing in-person run smoother because I'll know the game better. Just so thrilled when I saw this news (a week later than others...stupid internet not knowing all of my hopes and desires!)
How long do you expect a turn based game to last, on average?
max827w

Post by max827w »

I don't think a turn based game Will last for and excessive amount of time.
A normale game of ti last 5-6 round right?
In each round you May do:
Some tactical action, but the 80-85% of the time you don't Attack anyone so the turn Is fast
One strategical action , and this could be a slow action because you have tò wait the others player for the secondary ability of the strategica card
And the componenti actions, that are quite rare and usually doesn't involve other players
Then there Is the council phase, but only After Simeone take mercatol Rex

I think that a TI turn based game Will last 25-30 days

Return to “"Alpha" games”