Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
SquashEngineer

Re: Inactivity Warning Notice

Post by SquashEngineer »

Silene wrote: 28 June 2022, 18:51
SquashEngineer wrote: 28 June 2022, 18:44
voriki wrote: 28 June 2022, 08:55

It's mainly when you are idle. When you're actively playing it's not applicable.
Maybe when you're idle, the browser tab may sometimes reload?
It just comes back to the fact that the warning is not needed in either case.
Do you mean it would be ok for you, if the page would still look the same just without any changes and you wouldn't be notified when it's your turn in a game, when you get a message or a notification and also you are shown offline for others? Because I wouldn't expect that without any note/warning.

But a bigger button to get back online would be nice...
When I'm away from the page, I don't care. I don't care if I am shown offline while I'm away - I don't know the impact of that. Either I'm going to get a notification (via email or otherwise) until the system times out or not. I'm not in charge of whether I get a notification or not. I am only prompted with a Warning when I return to the page. I'm saying, I have actively returned to the page under my own preference, I'm ready to get back to gaming, that's why I'm here. Obviously I know the page is probably stale, I always hit refresh anyway, why would I need a warning to tell me that I've timed out? Any screen change I do will automatically prompt a refresh and system light up anyway, I didn't need a chastising Warning.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

If you are in the lobby, looking/waiting for tables, the warning lets you know that what you're seeing is not up to date. Or rather, without the warning you'd be left with a static state that's not updated and you wouldn't know that you have to hit refresh or whatever for it to start updating again. I do agree that the wording and looks could be different though.
Yorgad

Post by Yorgad »

Would something like:
    "Are you still with us?"
    • :arrow: Yes! Bring me back to where I was...
    be more relevant?

(Y'know like the "Are you still watching" pop-up on any streaming websites...)

Cheers,
    Y.
    Last edited by Yorgad on 29 June 2022, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
    voriki

Post by voriki »

SquashEngineer wrote: 12 May 2022, 16:32 I think BGA has misjudged it's user base internet skills.
    You clearly never have worked tech support.
    SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

Yorgad wrote: 29 June 2022, 00:02
      Would something like:
      "Are you still with us?"
      • :arrow: Yes! Bring me back to where I was...
      be more relevant?

(Y'know like the "Are you still watching" pop-up on any streaming websites...)

Cheers,
      Y.
      No. Shouldn't be necessary AT ALL. On iOS safari, I navigate back to the tab I have open for BGA, and the magic happens, the page refreshes automatically and I don't have to do anything.

Why wouldn't that also occur on Chrome browser? Don't warn me about anything. I'm obviously back. On my first click anywhere - go ahead, bring me up to date.
      Jellby

Post by Jellby »

What happens if you don't click anywhere?
      SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

At the end of one of my games, in the results summary page, a red banner with the following message was posted against one of the players, preceded by a black triangle with an exclamation mark in it.

“! It is this players first game. Does this player know the game rules?”

Again, this appears to be some kind of negative warning. I don’t understand the purpose. Are other players supposed to be wary that the player may not understand how to play? Why is it presumptuously negative. Maybe on first read, the player understands the rules perfectly. What would the other players do differently? Take it easy on them next game?
      SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

Jellby wrote: 30 June 2022, 08:23 What happens if you don't click anywhere?
      Even better ... automatically refresh the page for me as soon as I navigate back to the BGA tab - like iOS does automatically.
      SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

RicardoRix wrote: 12 May 2022, 17:54 The message has changed.

The Message has been changed to "Are you still there?" while the only available response to the question, and to clear the pop-up window, is "OK."
      It still would make more sense to me, to provide the user with a statement, rather than a question that you do not intend for them to answer. What if the person's answer was "No?" What could they do?

Ideally, the page would automatically refresh as soon as the user returns to the window/tab.
      Alternatively the page would automatically refresh as soon as the user clicked anywhere.
      If a pop-up and acknowledgement by the user is needed, the only thing required is a button that says "Let's go."- no prompting question or statement is required at all.

Return to “Discussions”