Rules question, maximum of 13 cards played per turn?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
GRDavies

Rules question, maximum of 13 cards played per turn?

Post by GRDavies »

Hello,

I'm playing a tournament and had only 4 games under my belt (allthough i played tons of Sabra Rummikub), but i got an error that i could not play more then 13 cards?!? Luckily for me, the next turn i could place the rest of my tiles.

But where in the rules can i read about this particular restriction? Or was it a bug and I should report it?
Nowhere online i can find anything about the restriction. It does prevent a little bit of hoarding.
Lotus Blossom

Re: Rules question, maximum of 13 cards played per turn?

Post by Lotus Blossom »

This is not a bug but a deliberate restriction placed to stop hoarding, as you say. The 13 card restriction is actually mentioned in the rules summary section of the game page on BGA.
GRDavies

Post by GRDavies »

Still can't find the mention of this restriction at the summary. But it is not important, you answered my question. Thank you.
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

I'm also surprised by this as it just stopped me winning a game.

I can't find it in the rules either, and it's not listed in the BGA wiki page. Where is this in the official rules?

Edit: what i can find in the rules are the following:
  • "Players play in turn.
    In each turn, a player may play any number of cards (including zero), possibly rearranging cards on the table.

Playing cards

During a player's turn, the player can play cards to the table, making sure that the table always consists of combinations.
    The player may introduce a new combination on the table, or they can add cards to an existing combination.
    As long as the player can play cards, they may do so; they may also stop at any time."

the only criteria for ending are turn are:
    "Ending a turn

A player may end a turn when the table doesn't have any unmatched cards.
    If a player ends the turn without playing any card, they must draw one card from the deck; otherwise, they don't draw any additional cards."
Hence I remain confused as to where this 13 card limit has come from.
Lotus Blossom

Post by Lotus Blossom »

If you click on the Rules Summary button on this page https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?ga ... elli#rules

You will see in bold the restriction right at the bottom of the example.

I think the reasoning it was brought in was explained in the bug reporting systemm on here.
tchobello

Post by tchobello »

MrBeardy wrote: 04 August 2022, 12:48 I'm also surprised by this as it just stopped me winning a game.

I can't find it in the rules either, and it's not listed in the BGA wiki page. Where is this in the official rules?

Edit: what i can find in the rules are the following:
  • "Players play in turn.
    In each turn, a player may play any number of cards (including zero), possibly rearranging cards on the table.

Playing cards

During a player's turn, the player can play cards to the table, making sure that the table always consists of combinations.
    The player may introduce a new combination on the table, or they can add cards to an existing combination.
    As long as the player can play cards, they may do so; they may also stop at any time."

the only criteria for ending are turn are:
    "Ending a turn

A player may end a turn when the table doesn't have any unmatched cards.
    If a player ends the turn without playing any card, they must draw one card from the deck; otherwise, they don't draw any additional cards."
Hence I remain confused as to where this 13 card limit has come from.
13 cards limit has been added in order to prevent some players to only draw cards and play their 40+ all at once after many complaints.
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

Lotus Blossom wrote: 04 August 2022, 15:44 If you click on the Rules Summary button on this page https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?ga ... elli#rules

I think the reasoning it was brought in was explained in the bug reporting systemm on here.
I must be looking in the wrong place as when I go to the rules summary on that page i can't find it in there. Can you post a screengrab?
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

tchobello wrote: 05 August 2022, 08:17
13 cards limit has been added in order to prevent some players to only draw cards and play their 40+ all at once after many complaints.
Do you mean it's an arbitrary decision made by BGA rather than an official rule? If so shouldn't this be made a user selectable game option during game creation, or perhaps even a drop-down of what the applied limit will be?
Lotus Blossom

Post by Lotus Blossom »

MrBeardy wrote: 09 August 2022, 12:30
Lotus Blossom wrote: 04 August 2022, 15:44 If you click on the Rules Summary button on this page https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?ga ... elli#rules

I must be looking in the wrong place as when I go to the rules summary on that page i can't find it in there. Can you post a screengrab?
Click where the red arrow is. Easy to miss! That should show a pop-up and you will see the rule in the section titled EXAMPLE.

tchobello

Post by tchobello »

MrBeardy wrote: 09 August 2022, 12:32 Do you mean it's an arbitrary decision made by BGA rather than an official rule? If so shouldn't this be made a user selectable game option during game creation, or perhaps even a drop-down of what the applied limit will be?
As written in Machiavelli Players Group where you can follow updates...
We have decided to follow the Pagat rules and recommendation about hoarding.
13 cards are dealt.
Aces can be played low or high : A23 or QKA but not KA2
you can't play more than 13 cards per turn.

from Pagat :
A general problem with manipulation rummy games is that laying down sets and runs helps the other players by giving them extra manipulation possibilities. The result is that players tend to hoard cards, waiting for others to meld, and hoping to go out by playing their whole hand at once. One solution to this problem is to limit the number of cards that can be played on one turn.

13 cards dealt, 13 cards limit: easy to remember.
This solution works perfectly well for years and we won't waste time to add an option giving poor game experience and therefore complaints.

Sorry if you didn't find this on Rules Summary but it's dealt by Players Community...

Return to “Machiavelli”