Tiles remaining incorrect?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
leanrascal

Tiles remaining incorrect?

Post by leanrascal »

Does anyone know how the Tiles Remaining function works?

The Tile Remaining function does not appear to indicate the number of tiles that remain UNPLAYED in the game, because when it was my turn and it indicated 0 tile remaining, my opponent still got to play a tile.
So does it indicate the number of tiles to be DRAFTED? And if it does, how would I establish who of the other players has a tile in hand and who hasn't?
My final move will often depend on who has still a tile to play and who hasn't.

Thanks for any clarification on this.

leanrascal
euklid314

Re: Tiles remaining incorrect?

Post by euklid314 »

As soon as you finish your move, you see your next tile. You see it instantly, i.e. before your opponent makes his/her move.

The same is true for your opponent(s). They draw their tiles instantly, i.e. before you make your move. Thus, if it is your turn and you want to analyze the situation, you have to visualize that all your opponents have a tile in hand (which they keep hidden from you) and it is your turn.

The number shown by the "Tiles Remaining function" only consider the tiles still on the drawing stacks and does NOT count the number of tiles in your opponents hands.

The number 0 will always indicate only that it is your last move. 0 does never provide you with the information how many of your opponents still have a move to make. If you care, you have to find out one move earlier!

Example: In a 5-player game the number at "Tiles Remaining" will go down in steps of 5. If it shows 13 on your move then it will show 8 on your next move and 3 on the move after and then 0. In this case you know that 2 of your oppents still have a tile to play and 2 have no tile to play (since from the last 3 tiles you got one and 2 were left for your opponents).

Please note that I am talking about the base game. It is not that simple anymore with expansions that allow your opponent 2 tiles to play in a single turn. But in this case the BGA implementation who gets the last tiles is wrong anyway (at least it was and I don't think it was ever changed).
leanrascal

Post by leanrascal »

First of all thank you so much for your super helpful and exhaustive answer euklid314

Not only that, but you've also managed to answer the NEXT question I was going to ask about the use of Builders at the end of the game:
euklid314 wrote: 14 May 2022, 06:30 Please note that I am talking about the base game. It is not that simple anymore with expansions that allow your opponent 2 tiles to play in a single turn. But in this case the BGA implementation who gets the last tiles is wrong anyway (at least it was and I don't think it was ever changed).
It's VERY VERY sad to see they've messed up the implementation of such a MAJOR game. Is there already a request to fix this ? How would I add my support to such a request? And if such a request has not already been logged, which I would find very very surprising, how would I go about requesting a change?

I assume the vast majority of players will have noticed this issue with this implementation.
bananasplay

Post by bananasplay »

leanrascal wrote: 14 May 2022, 10:54 It's VERY VERY sad to see they've messed up the implementation of such a MAJOR game. Is there already a request to fix this ? How would I add my support to such a request? And if such a request has not already been logged, which I would find very very surprising, how would I go about requesting a change?

I assume the vast majority of players will have noticed this issue with this implementation.
We have indeed noticed. Feel free to upvote this bug report that was submitted a full five years ago, which BGA continues to ignore: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=7601

Note that a bug ID with only four digits is incredibly old; they're into the 60000 range these days. It even has the status "open", as opposed to "confirmed". So, yeah, BGA truly does not care.
Please check my profile for a list of bugs that need upvotes so that BGA will maybe get around to fixing them.
leanrascal

Post by leanrascal »

bananasplay wrote: 14 May 2022, 11:37 We have indeed noticed. Feel free to upvote this bug report that was submitted a full five years ago, which BGA continues to ignore: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=7601
Many thanks for this. I noticed there were several bug reports related to this, and upvoted them all, but 7601 is so old I had not even noticed it! I've voted now.

Return to “Carcassonne”