Penalties for being late

General discussion on board games
Dwayne1914

Penalties for being late

Post by Dwayne1914 »

Is there really supposed to be two separate hits to your ELO score, plus a hit to your rep, plus a red 60 day penalty for lateness, plus a 60 day penalty for "quitting," all for being a few minutes late? Is this a bug ?

Table 266031087 I was at ELO rank 301, was few minutes late on a turn on a game that was near the beginning, somebody kicks me out, rep goes down from 100 to 90, red penalty for lateness, and a red penalty for "quitting" (I never quit). Then I noticed my ELO rating went down to 291, then a few hours later it went down again to 246. When I look at the table, it lists the two red penalties and two decreases to ELO score. What is the purpose of lowering the ELO score twice for a single error? For that matter, what is the purpose of lowering ELO score at all since there are three other penalties ?

If this is not a bug, then it is an incentive for people who are losing to cancel an otherwise viable game. How does it make sense for me to lose 1/6 of my ELO score for a single instance of being a few minutes late? And how does it make sense for another player to earn +10 to their ELO score for a game that was barely started and in which they were not winning, merely because of the large gap in in the ELO? Is this intended to dissuade strong players from playing with new players?

Is this working as intended?

ps yes I realize it is not good if someone is late for a long time, but do we need five separate penalties per error, even when the late play was just a few minutes, and even when the person has a 100 rep and only three lateness in 87 games? Does it really make sense to have the same penalty for someone who hasn't played for days as someone who is only a few minutes late? Also, what is the sense in the red penalty saying someone "quit" when they did no such thing? Do we really think it makes sense to make no distinction between someone who actually quit and someone who was kicked out of a game for lateness? These are two different things yet they are both listed as having"quit" a game.
voriki

Re: Penalties for being late

Post by voriki »

It's not a "60 day penalty", just all penalties remain visible for 60 days.
You only lost 10 karma points, which is easily regained back. I don't understand the issue.

You are not a bad player, once in a while you time out, which could happen. It's not frequent for your profile.
Dwayne1914

Post by Dwayne1914 »

I did not just lose 10 karma. I lost 10 karma, then 10 ELO ranking, then another 46 ELO ranking. My ELO ranking went from strong player (301) to good player (245). It would take me possibly a year to earn that back, if at all.
aesche

Post by aesche »

Then you better go back to work on making it up again (or stop caring that much about a meaningless digital number, which can be screwed anytime by cheaters or further penalties or bad luck or bad play or better opponents).

It works as intended.

Going on here has 0 chance to change something about it.
voriki

Post by voriki »

You lost ELO ranking because you "forfeited" the game, as you were not present at the table during your turntime.

Every time you play a game, you are warned for this.
Deadbert72

Post by Deadbert72 »

I feel your pain - sometimes life happens when you have other plans and the penalties shouldn't be so hard. Also: the ELO thing. Sure, it's arbitrary, but so are board games so yes, it smarts when you go from being strong to good to average to screw this when you get a run of bad luck. I feel your pain and it only doesn't matter to those who don't feel your pain.

Return to “Discuss about board games”