Fulfilled objectives

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
muttlolz

Fulfilled objectives

Post by muttlolz »

Hi,

I have fulfilled an objective -- the card is outlined in green. Do I need to do anything to "activate" the objective, i.e. cash it and get the points?
Or do I just keep the card in hand and the points are counted at the end of the game?

Thanks!
KeithHendricks

Re: Fulfilled objectives

Post by KeithHendricks »

Cards in green are already fulfilled.

However, should you load up on a bunch of objectives, at the end of the game you may choose to score whatever set of objectives you like. This often happens when a player chooses to score a drawn objective rather than the starting objective, which has no penalty for not fulfilling it. For instance, if I start with the objective that requires a 3 cow and a 4 cow, and decide later to use my 3 cow to score an objective with three 3 cows and a house, I am perfectly able to do this.

So the green status of objectives is not set in stone, so to speak, but a visual guide to a player looking to see what is currently not scoring or scoring.
wolmot

Post by wolmot »

But if you want to get the extra bonus that some objectives have (like 2 gold, move your train, …), you have to play the objective card from your hand to the table. And your objectives on the table have to be fulfilled or you score the negative penalty.
As long as you keep them in hand, you get to choose at game end if you want to use or ignore them.
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

Generally you'll want to play objective cards that come into your hand. They give a bonus when played - typically small but often useful - but more importantly unless you find some other way to discard them they will clog up your hand and deprive you of potential income and better locations when you get to Kansas.

However playing them from your hand does commit you to achieving them by the end of the game - any played objectives that you do not fulfil count negative points against you. This is not the case for those that you don't play - any objective cards still in your deck at the end of the game are risk free in the sense that you can choose to claim the points from them if you succeeded, but don't have to score them if they would count against you.

So it's a balance - but generally you shouldn't be taking objectives you don't expect to be able to achieve, so it's usually better to play them!

(And don't forget, if you have multiple objective cards with the same criteria, you can't count the same "item" - eg cow card or building - against more than one objective card. You need multiples of the same thing to fulfil more than one objective of the same type.)
muttlolz

Post by muttlolz »

robinzig wrote: 20 May 2022, 12:20 Generally you'll want to play objective cards that come into your hand. They give a bonus when played - typically small but often useful - but more importantly unless you find some other way to discard them they will clog up your hand and deprive you of potential income and better locations when you get to Kansas.

However playing them from your hand does commit you to achieving them by the end of the game - any played objectives that you do not fulfil count negative points against you. This is not the case for those that you don't play - any objective cards still in your deck at the end of the game are risk free in the sense that you can choose to claim the points from them if you succeeded, but don't have to score them if they would count against you.

So it's a balance - but generally you shouldn't be taking objectives you don't expect to be able to achieve, so it's usually better to play them!

(And don't forget, if you have multiple objective cards with the same criteria, you can't count the same "item" - eg cow card or building - against more than one objective card. You need multiples of the same thing to fulfil more than one objective of the same type.)
Thank you for you answer, but I am not getting is, how do I "play" an objective? Where do I click on the interface? If I click on the objective card, it just shows my hand, and nothing else happens.
KeithHendricks

Post by KeithHendricks »

When the card is in your hand and it’s your turn, click on the card to play it. Sometimes I have to double click it.
muttlolz

Post by muttlolz »

KeithHendricks wrote: 21 May 2022, 04:46 When the card is in your hand and it’s your turn, click on the card to play it. Sometimes I have to double click it.
Ok, I will try it Thanks!
wolmot

Post by wolmot »

Remember, you really need to have the objective card drawn in your hand for this.
When you get new objectives, they are just placed on discard pile and later shuffled into your deck, like new cattle cards.
Only when you draw them in your hand, you will get the possibility to play them (if you want)

Return to “Great Western Trail”