Why should Arena use 2 players?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Terrance

Re: Why should Arena use 2 players?

Post by Terrance »

Ranior wrote: 25 May 2022, 14:14 And yet others would say 4 is the best. (Like me).

GWT is kind of like Through the Ages in that regard, I think there are pockets within each community that prefer the game at 2, 3, and 4. It's hard/impossible to respect all those preferences, and so who do you go with?

BGA decided to make GWT 2 player. I suspect they probably looked at what player count was getting the most play and used that for this first arena system.

The good news is that there is a guru system and BGA listens to those voters for what the next arena settings should be. You get to be a GWT guru by being in roughly the top 1% of GWT players by games played count during the past 60 days. Gurus can make suggestions (like make arena 3p) and vote for them, and as such next seasons arena settings will be determined by the gurus.

The bad news is that the downside of the guru system is that since it goes by play count, it already has a bias towards lower player counts (where you can rack up a higher player count in less time, so it's easier to get to become a guru by playing 2p GWT than it is 3p, or 4p). The other issue is that as far as I can tell, it probably is just the case that the 2p GWT crowd has more numbers/fans at the moment than the other player counts do. As such, I wouldn't hold out hope that GWT arena will be played at other player counts in the next season.

(Note, I am not a GWT guru, but perhaps someone who is will wander in and can more directly speak to what the current voting is like for next season's settings)
4th is best too!

Return to “Great Western Trail”