Passing dice - bug or me misunderstanding rules

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Jest Phulin

Passing dice - bug or me misunderstanding rules

Post by Jest Phulin »

I'm trying to figure out if this is a bug or if I don't have a good understanding of the rules.

I just played a game, and every time I had an unplaced and unplayable die and at least one karma left, I was not given the option to pass the die. I was only given the option to spend one karma and reroll the die. If the reroll was unplayable, this would continue until I was out of karma.

Nowhere in the rules could I find a mention that karma needed to be spent. The wording is "can" use karma, not "must" use karma.

Am I misunderstanding the rule thinking that I should be able to pass unplayable dice voluntarily? Or am I missing the game interface that allows me to do that?

Fun game, though. Thanks for developing it.
agrypelago

Re: Passing dice - bug or me misunderstanding rules

Post by agrypelago »

You don't have to spend karma if the dice is unplayable. If your dice is selected and there are not places to put it you can click the "Cancel" button which will deselect it and most likely lock it (it will change to semi-transparent) until you can select it if situation changes. This might be a UI bug but it could also be because actions are still available by spending karma. If you don't see arrows pointing at spaces on the vines when you select a die, that die can't be placed at this moment but you don't have to spend any karma to try and change its value. You don't have to spend karma at all. You can just hord it to get points at the end of the game.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Hm, most likely a UI bug, then. I think I tried using the cancel button, and I don't remember it giving me an option to pass the dice or end my turn.

I'll verify with the next game that I play (which may be a while).

Thanks for the response.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

It's been a while, and finally checked it. We did get a Pass Dice option.

Return to “Diced Tomatoes”