Weightings changed?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
LegGodt

Weightings changed?

Post by LegGodt »

Hi,

Since the start of June it seems like Can't Stop is a different game - like which numbers are less likely and which are more likely have been swapped. I guess it could just be in my head, but I would routinely play games where myself or another player would get on 6,7,8 and ride them at least half-way up the board - having a 6,7 or a 7,8 and any of the outer numbers would mean less travel. Now it seems like people are more likely to get 3 twelves or twos straight up than moving just one or two spaces on those central numbers.

Has there been any change to the programming of the game (say, to make it harder for people to climb on 6,7,8) or is it somehow just in my head?

Cheers,

Guy
RobertBr

Re: Weightings changed?

Post by RobertBr »

Its just in your head. Rest assured that the nature of probability distributions and other basic descriptions of how the universe works have not been altered in the last month.
aesche

Post by aesche »

You are totally right.

The weightings used to make sure that only white, male premium players could win a game.
Then BGA thought that this could be some reputation risk for them, if that becomes widely known.

So BGA changed the algorithms to give all the luck to the players that come to the forum to complain about the rigged dice due to which they are not able to win any game anymore, proving that they have no understanding about statistics.

This probably will cause some more noise initially, but then it‘s hoped to bring everlasting peace.
LegGodt

Post by LegGodt »

RobertBr wrote: 05 June 2022, 19:45 Rest assured that the nature of probability distributions and other basic descriptions of how the universe works have not been altered in the last month.
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I was clearly NOT implying that was the case but just wondering if there had been any deliberate changes made that would explain the very different way it seems to play all of a sudden. If you are not freakin' programmer working on this game, keep your snarky comments to yourself.
LegGodt

Post by LegGodt »

aesche wrote: 06 June 2022, 09:15 proving that they have no understanding about statistics.
Another freakin' wiseguy. I can almost guarantee I know more about stats than you do. I wasn't asking about rigged dice or hacker cheaters or any of that, I was just curious to know if any deliberate changes had been made by the programmers to make it play slightly differently, say in response to people complaining about too many easy runs up the middle, or something. Anyway, I wanted to hear from devs, not smart-arses trying to peacock.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

You might wonder that in more complex mechanics. But the programming here is so simple (just 4 independent 1-6 random numbers) that any noticeable difference would most likely be a serious bug (or malicious coding), either before or after.
voriki

Post by voriki »

LegGodt wrote: 06 June 2022, 13:44 If you are not freakin' programmer working on this game, keep your snarky comments to yourself.
You do realize this is a public forum, and it's not like there are hundreds of developers working on this 1 single game.

Just a simple random number generator 1-6 for each individual dice.
Een

Post by Een »

Release version visible on the game page 211202-1048 is a date format YYMMDD-HHSS.
So, no recent change whatsoever.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

The Yahtzee forum likes to complain about dice rolls too. Support group? Lol.

Return to “Can't Stop”