Which card do you play?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Wreckage

Which card do you play?

Post by Wreckage »

I was in a recent game where I thought a player made some interesting choices. So I looked at the replay and this was their hand. They are the first player, and the first turn they opened with the 3rd card from the left, what I call a "simple". If this was my hand I would never consider playing that card, as I see 4 other plays that are far superior. But this is just my opinion, so I am curious what other players think.

I altered the image, changing the second card to make this question more interesting. Which card is your favorite card to play if you are the first player? Don't go by this hand in particular, but if you have 2 or 3 of these cards, which do you generally play first? (list from first to last).
I play differently according to my hand. But generally my list goes...

Card 5 (Dead end) behind the ladder
Card 2 (T) with the opening facing up
Card 6 (cross)
Card 1 (noodle) above the ladder
Card 4 (map) mapping top
Card 3 (simple)

I think most players will map early. I know a lot experts will choose card 6 first, and it's a strong argument. If I have several straights I won't waste time behind the ladder.
Last edited by Wreckage on 08 June 2022, 18:26, edited 2 times in total.
p3pp3r

Re: Which card do you play?

Post by p3pp3r »

If i am the first player, i usually set card 4 (blocking)to the left side of the starting cross to show my rule and help other diggers to identify the sabs. I do not use straight at beginning because it is too risky as long as both sabs are free.
nqztv

Post by nqztv »

Yes, I agree that playing a simple with that hand is suboptimal, but I notice there are 6 cards in hand, so I assume you were playing a 5 player game. IMO, there isn't much reason to analyze a 5 player game. There is more leeway for suboptimal path play in 5 player (that's why we nerf the game with silent play). The game is decided by luck of the draw more often than by a decision made by one of the players (if players are playing somewhat sanely). You will draw 7 or 8 more cards, so expected value says you will probably draw 1 or 2 more horizontal path by the end of the game. With that in mind, there really shouldn't be any reason to hold onto the cross as the first player... even moreso in the second hand example where you have an extra T in hand. And since there are only 2 sabs in 5 player, they can't completely block all egress points on the cross in a single cycle. The only time I would not play the cross with that hand was if I was so bored with the mindlessness of 5 player sab that I wanted to mix it up! ;-)

The question is more interesting if this was a 7 player game since you have fewer cards in hand and will only pick up 4 or 5 more cards the rest of the game, making it likely that you will only pick up 0... maybe 1... more horizontal paths. That scarcity makes signaling without using up your horizontal paths a lot more appealing. And if you're playing the points game, you want to make sure you have cards in hand that can open the goal card (or setup for the next player to open the goal card), since you don't want to be the 2 diggers that only get 1 gold card. Also, since sabs can coordinate, it's much more important to keep cards in hand in case of RF.

That's my opinion. Feel free to constructively disagree.
CricketVT

Post by CricketVT »

In the past I would have played by opening with the cross. But these days I'm more likely to dig the dead end. For two reasons: 1) it helps establish my role quickly and thereby makes it easier to deduce who the other sabs are and 2) this way my cross doesn't become an instant rockfall spot--we identify and break sabs first, then I start digging my good cards.
CricketVT

Post by CricketVT »

Wreckage wrote: 08 June 2022, 04:44
I play differently according to my hand. But generally my list goes...

Card 5 behind the ladder
Card 2 with the opening facing up
Card 6
Card 1 above the ladder
Card 4 mapping top
Card 3
The only problem, Wreck, is that you will also waste a de behind the ladder if you're sab and you have multiple. So in your case it really does not help players who are familiar with your style establish your role at all and only adds to the confusion.
Dark Nugget

Post by Dark Nugget »

As a first digger player with this hand i'd use this sequence:

1) de (card 5) behind ladder to prove me not being sab: yes, i know that some players (hello, Vito and zip) waste de as sabs but i consider it as a mistake especially when you're first player;
2) cross (card 6): in 5p it's not the best way to open with T as two paths can be easily blocked by two consecutive sabs;
3) noodle (card 1): it's neutral move that can be made by digger or sab so it's shady but still leaves 3 open paths; top or bot on first move doesn't matter so at random;
4) map (card 4): same arguments as with noodle but it's even shadier; not middle, either top or bot - gives more info;
5) T (card 2): to top or to bot at random;
6) simple (card 1): worse than T.
Elsaki

Post by Elsaki »

since i had only one de i wouldn't put it back of ladder as i would assume that someone might have more des and less good cards, so i would leave the back of ladder empty for that player. I would start gladly with T facing bottom as i find it early to put cross and i think many sabs on 5p map first or dont block road early.
ojomojojojojo

Post by ojomojojojojo »

I would play the cross first to leave many openings in case of a dead end.

But with that being said, I don't see anything wrong with playing the simple first

1. The player is playing it early in the game. If someone wants to block it, it is an easy fix this early. you could also just dig around the dead end.
2. "simples" are a lot less flexible than other cards so later on your ability to actually use the simple may become hindered.
3. One clear path to the middle is always the most optimal so the T or cross might be "better" from your perspective but this could actually eliminate the possibility of straying too far away from gold

As for your second quandary, I would play the cross first since it opens up many pathways of course

I realized it's not the most ideal method to play the game in constant fear of a rockfall. that may or may not happen.
ojomojojojojo

Post by ojomojojojojo »

Also just a reply to those saying they would first play a dead end behind the ladder. That is probably the most pointless move you could possibly make. What a waste. Best to dig while you have the opportunity and save such pointless moves that don't add to your objective for when you have nothing better to play. Just think will you get to play your better cards if you are wasting your turns putting dead ends to the right?
VitoDon

Post by VitoDon »

Elsaki wrote smth useful: put de on back of ladder is just a bad move, cause u dont prove 100% ur role and u also dont let others to prove by blockung ladder.
You can prove only by digging t or cross. I would prefer cross. But if you chose T, so better put it pointed down.
All others moves are bad and not useful.

Return to “Saboteur”