Never give up!!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Wreckage

Never give up!!

Post by Wreckage »

Every once in a while when I'm getting slaughtered and I'm down to a few points while everyone else in the 50s and 60s, someone will say something about my score. I usually answer something like "this will be my sweetest victory ever!!" but usually it doesn't quite happen.

I think the attitude is correct though, and it always bothers me a little when I see someone give up hope when the game is still going.
I just had this game https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=274640015 where I had a really tough first hand.
After 1 round the scores were
35 (me)

By mid second hand the scores were
26 (me)
I'm not only 40 points behind first, but I'm behind fourth place by 20.
After some luck in rounds 3 and 4, we start the 5th round with these scores below.
17 (me)
And with a lot of luck, I got the win. And you know what? It was a sweeter victory than most others :)

BTW, if you replay the game, I am taking chances and sometimes even taking rows on purpose those first two rounds trying to mitigate the damage because I think it could have been much worse.
Last edited by Wreckage on 12 June 2022, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
cigma

Re: Never give up!!

Post by cigma »

Thanks for the encouragement!
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

Totally agree, thanks for posting.

You've never lost until you go below 0 - and actually, even then it's theoretically possible to still win I guess.
junkmass

Post by junkmass »

It is mainly a matter of *respect* for the other players.
And yes you can always improve your ranking, and become better at playing.
Thanks for the thread.
Chadmild

Post by Chadmild »

junkmass wrote: 13 June 2022, 10:33 It is mainly a matter of *respect* for the other players.
And yes you can always improve your ranking, and become better at playing.
Thanks for the thread.
Clearly, until 800-1000 Elo but it's a been 1 year i'm waiting for a guy to reach it ! :P
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

800+ elo is only achievable in 2p games. Not possible in legit competition.
Chadmild

Post by Chadmild »

Wreckage wrote: 17 June 2022, 03:06 800+ elo is only achievable in 2p games. Not possible in legit competition.
You know the reference...I'm still waiting for Rex Havoc to go to 800 (you wrote "then after getting to a high ELO, I will play 2-player games and go to 800 ELO") 8-)
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

Right, but it was just too boring. I could win 90% with no problem. But the games were just drudgery.

I would encourage you to learn 5p pro tactics. There is so much more strategy, I think you would enjoy it. If you master 5p pro (left and right), you can do well at any player count, and do well playing normal (cards only go to the right). You are really missing out on a great game by playing two players instead of how it was intended.

Return to “6 nimmt!”