Why wasn't I prompted to Attack after movement?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
felipe1982

Why wasn't I prompted to Attack after movement?

Post by felipe1982 »

https://boardgamearena.com/9/memoir?tab ... layFrom=22

I wanted to attack using the unit that I moved in the Centre Section, but the game seems to not permit this to occurr (did not prompt me).

Why didn't the game let me attack?

Tisaac

Re: Why wasn't I prompted to Attack after movement?

Post by Tisaac »

felipe1982 wrote: 15 June 2022, 04:27 https://boardgamearena.com/9/memoir?tab ... layFrom=22

I wanted to attack using the unit that I moved in the Centre Section, but the game seems to not permit this to occurr (did not prompt me).

Please check the rulebook, line of sight is blocked.
tchobello

Post by tchobello »

felipe1982 wrote: 15 June 2022, 04:27 I wanted to attack using the unit that I moved in the Centre Section, but the game seems to not permit this to occurr (did not prompt me).

There is a church on the left and a village on the right and both block line of sight.
felipe1982

Post by felipe1982 »

Tisaac wrote: 15 June 2022, 08:16 Please check the rulebook, line of sight is blocked.
I have checked the rule book. I can draw a line from the centre of my hex (attacker) to centre of his hex (defender). The imaginary line does not cross any hexes, it passes right alongside them. This should result in no loss of sight.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

When the imaginary line runs along the edge of one or several hexes which contain obstructions, the line of sight is not blocked, unless the obstructions stand somewhere along both sides of the line segment.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

felipe1982 wrote: 15 June 2022, 12:40
Tisaac wrote: 15 June 2022, 08:16 Please check the rulebook, line of sight is blocked.
I have checked the rule book. I can draw a line from the centre of my hex (attacker) to centre of his hex (defender). The imaginary line does not cross any hexes, it passes right alongside them. This should result in no loss of sight.
Check again then, the whole paragraph about line of sight and not just the first part.
felipe1982

Post by felipe1982 »

Got it now. Thank you. Fantastic implementation of M44.

For posterity, the rules show an image of exactly my situation. Line of Sight is blocked because both sides of the imaginary line pass through a hex which may block line of sight.

https://www.ultraboardgames.com/memoir44/game-rules.php
The terrain in the target hex does not block line of sight. When the imaginary line runs along the edge of one or several hexes which contain obstructions, the line of sight is not blocked, unless the obstructions stand somewhere along both sides of the line segment.
felipe1982

Post by felipe1982 »

Instead of opening a new thread, I thought I would reopen this one, as the question is the same, but just in a different scenario.

I am playing as the Allies and I am Counter Attacking "Attack: Order 3 in the centre" card. I move the left-most unit 1 space, but keep the others units in their place, but I am not prompted to attack after I commit my moves. I have inspected the terrain, and I think I have LOS. What am I doing wrong?

Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

felipe1982 wrote: 23 June 2022, 05:26 Instead of opening a new thread, I thought I would reopen this one, as the question is the same, but just in a different scenario.

I am playing as the Allies and I am Counter Attacking "Attack: Order 3 in the centre" card. I move the left-most unit 1 space, but keep the others units in their place, but I am not prompted to attack after I commit my moves. I have inspected the terrain, and I think I have LOS. What am I doing wrong?

Can you please post a bug report with precise move number and table number ?
felipe1982

Post by felipe1982 »

I tried it again, and this time I got different results. I allowed me to attack.

This is an excellent module, however I have a 'small' request.

After moving, and (optionally) battling, the game asks me to confirm. Sometimes pressing confirm is for my 'movement' phase. Pressing confirm takes me to the 'battle' phase. However, pressing confirm again, ends my turn.

SUGGESTION: Inform the user that the turn will end when they press CONFIRM after the battle phase.

If moving is complete, but attacking isn't possible, currently the game does not notify the player that battling isn't possible. This is puzzling, especially for players new to M44. They may press CONFIRM hoping to move on to the battle phase, but are disappointed to discover that they have ended their turn! If they would have known, they could have clicked UNDO, and make different decisions.

Would you like me to open a FR in the bug system?

Return to “Memoir 44”