New game page

What's new on BGA ?
Carolinemgm

Re: New game page

Post by Carolinemgm »

PegasusDragon1 wrote: 03 December 2022, 03:10 How do I create a table now? I don't see it unless I missed it.
Just choose all your options on the right column under the Start button, click on the + circle to add specific people (friends) and cliack on the Start button.
The waiting game will appear on the middle column.
mighty_jubbo

Post by mighty_jubbo »

The new game page is awful

Why does it default to the new game page when you propose a rematch - can you change the settings back please
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

mighty_jubbo wrote: 03 December 2022, 19:51 Why does it default to the new game page when you propose a rematch.
+1

This just happened when I accepted a rematch. Seems odd.

https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 51#p127851
Virgil Prane

Post by Virgil Prane »

I tend to create games that are between a group of various 8 or 9 friends of local players. I also regularly play games with randos on (1 move per 2 days modes)
My go to settings are Turn based, No Time Limit, but not Training Mode.
I appreciate the record keeping of these no time limit, turn based games, seeing which of my personal friends have gotten especially good at a particular game of late.

Prior to the new update you could set the game to "Friends Only" and still play no time limit games without resorting to Training Mode.
It seems this feature is lost on the new page, or I'm struggling to enable it. It seems to jump and get stuck in Training Mode when I click the infinity symbol and I'm not quite sure how to disable it.

Anyone have any thoughts? I figure it just might be me losing sight of it in the new UI? Seems like they cut down on text/language for symbols. I'm probably just not seeing the option, hopefully?
Thanks for the help!

Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Virgil Prane wrote: 04 December 2022, 18:02 I tend to create games that are between a group of various 8 or 9 friends of local players. I also regularly play games with randos on (1 move per 2 days modes)
My go to settings are Turn based, No Time Limit, but not Training Mode.
I appreciate the record keeping of these no time limit, turn based games, seeing which of my personal friends have gotten especially good at a particular game of late.

Prior to the new update you could set the game to "Friends Only" and still play no time limit games without resorting to Training Mode.
It seems this feature is lost on the new page, or I'm struggling to enable it. It seems to jump and get stuck in Training Mode when I click the infinity symbol and I'm not quite sure how to disable it.

Anyone have any thoughts? I figure it just might be me losing sight of it in the new UI? Seems like they cut down on text/language for symbols. I'm probably just not seeing the option, hopefully?
Thanks for the help!

It's already explained in this thread: it's not possible with new lobby because that's probably a feature that's going to disappear in the future anyway.
jedthehomarid

Post by jedthehomarid »

I am disappointed with the new process for joining a game.

When I accept a game invitation, instead of it taking me to the page with a big button that says "Go to Game" it takes me to the page for the game.

Across the top includes a button that says "Start" which one would think would take you to the game you just accepted an invite to. However, I've learned that is the button to start a brand new game instead. That seems very unintuitive to me.

After a lot of confusing game starts, I've only recently learned that you have to scroll down the page to find a small unobscured area called "Your games in progress." That seems to be the only way to enter the game that I accepted the invite to.

If I have already joined a game I do not want to go to the game page to see all of the information about the game, I'd prefer to go straight to the game.

This design overall seems like a step backward.
ctsinclair

Post by ctsinclair »

I am not a fan of this new design. When I go to invite my friends to join me to start a game from the new game page, I invite them and it immediately invites them, then closes the game and they are uninvited and we still have not game to start. This happens when my friends are online or offline or a mix of on/offline.

I have to go to Play Now because that is the only way to start a game with any stability.
TrinaCat

Post by TrinaCat »

Sometimes when creating a new game the New game page shows up and the Restrict to Groups option is disabled with a message claiming it will be implemeted in the future. If its a game that I recently created a table in, then the last setting is already there - and I can change which group its restricted to. Sometimes I get to use the old interface for creating tables, which is still functional for restricting to groups thankfully.

I've been inviting a lot of new players to BGA and none of them are able to create games (yes premium members too) because they keep getting stuck in the new game page for table creation, which doesn't allow restriction to friends or restrictions to our BGA group. Inviting individual friends doesn't work in this situation because its an open invite in a group of 50 people.

Will either new game page game creation get fixed soon, or will there be a way to ensure that access to the old but still fully functional game creation page is available?
el cosimo

Post by el cosimo »

TrinaCat wrote: 06 December 2022, 03:28 Sometimes when creating a new game the New game page shows up and the Restrict to Groups option is disabled with a message claiming it will be implemeted in the future. If its a game that I recently created a table in, then the last setting is already there - and I can change which group its restricted to. Sometimes I get to use the old interface for creating tables, which is still functional for restricting to groups thankfully.

I've been inviting a lot of new players to BGA and none of them are able to create games (yes premium members too) because they keep getting stuck in the new game page for table creation, which doesn't allow restriction to friends or restrictions to our BGA group. Inviting individual friends doesn't work in this situation because its an open invite in a group of 50 people.

Will either new game page game creation get fixed soon, or will there be a way to ensure that access to the old but still fully functional game creation page is available?
Weird.. you can still use the normal method on gamepage lobby?
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

TrinaCat wrote: 06 December 2022, 03:28will there be a way to ensure that access to the old but still fully functional game creation page is available?
My understanding (based on receiving a reply to my comments during testing) is that this new method of starting games was meant to respond to feedback that new/light users are confused by the main Play Now lobby, but for heavy users it will still be available. I also would be concerned if it were going to be completely replaced.

Return to “BGA release notes”