English variant: Speed up game by skipping turns where there is no possible action

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
baboonanza

English variant: Speed up game by skipping turns where there is no possible action

Post by baboonanza »

In the English variant there are cases in conflict where the game waits for a defender to add support but they can't because they are already winning. As there is nothing for them to do but click the 'add 0 support' button this turn should be skipped to speed up play.

It would also be possible to skip turns where a player doesn't have the required tiles in hand but as that reveals hidden information it would have to be a user toggle I guess and/or otherwise obfuscated by not having the skipping happen immediately.

Otherwise I love the implementation and the chance to play this game that I own but no gamers I know will play with me. Thank you!
NicoLasDas

Re: English variant: Speed up game by skipping turns where there is no possible action

Post by NicoLasDas »

A nice thought to speed up the game, but adding support to a battle can also be done just to get rid of tiles you don't need. Also, spending tiles can be strategically done to move faster towards the end of the game . So if I think I have a higher overall score than all other players and I have tiles on my hand I don't want anyway, I would spend as many as possible in a battle even though I am already winning that battle.
thenmal

Re: English variant: Speed up game by skipping turns where there is no possible action

Post by thenmal »

I agree that would be a nice way to speed up games.

However, with how the states for the game are written it would require a decent amount of work to support this, and I'm not sure the English variant is used very often. Feel free to make a suggestion and I will take a look at the game stats to see how often this would be used.
zeroxceet

Post by zeroxceet »

It is strategic for defense to spend tiles because he doesnt need those tiles anymore. And so he will probably draw tiles he needs ( like red tiles for’example)
Duke Herb

Post by Duke Herb »

The OP specified English Variant -- this means there is no option to play unneeded tiles. You either play exactly what you need to win, or none at all. If you are the defender, and already winning, playing 1 or more tiles is not a legal move, and there should be no need for the game to wait for you to confirm this.

Return to “Tigris & Euphrates”