Where do you find finesse players?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
dgjxqz

Where do you find finesse players?

Post by dgjxqz »

I started some tables with convention set to finesse, but most of the players who joined don't seem to follow it. I understand that sometimes clues can be misunderstood. But if players repeatedly ignoring finesse clues, it seems to me that they do not respect table convention. So, how do I get players who wish to use finesse to join my tables?
Ankeszu

Re: Where do you find finesse players?

Post by Ankeszu »

In under-StrongPlayer tables, maybe just ask "Everybody know finesse?" before agreeing to play the table*. Sure, maybe sometimes people won't answer, but then you can remove them and wait for the table full again/find other tables/explain or link to explanation. It's then slow and frustrating in other way, but without bombed out games.

As far as I remember, it's hard to get to/over Good Player stage without finesse, so once you're there, you can restrict tables by elo.

I'd add that in advanced groups sometimes not following finesse right away is ok (priorities shift etc), so while players can know they are finesse target they need to do another action than simple response (and following players should understand it without bombing "because they don't react finesse"). [I still remember the game from few years ago with Isdariel comment "OK, so for the rest of the game each turn I'll just play my third card..." :D] I doubt that this is the case in low ELO tables though.

*Remember also that finesse may mean other things for players not accustommed to playing Hanabi on BGA. So even this question or setting might be not enugh, because not everyone would like to read about them.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

It's a problem of players comming from automatic lobby.
Whatever options or description you put, those who didn't take the time to change their settings will join any game.
cigma

Post by cigma »

I don't know about finesse (at least not in Hanabi) ;)

But very likely you will find approriate players in one of these groups: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=9945178 or https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=9749982
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Signy33

Post by Signy33 »

Cigma, almost everybody uses finesse after they've reached a certain level, there's no need to look for them in specific groups. Ankeszu's suggestion seems good to me.
Daredek

Post by Daredek »

What a Great opportunity to teach finesse. 8-)

Return to “Hanabi”