CATAN: An all-time classic officially available NOW on Board Game Arena!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Valkie71

Re: CATAN: An all-time classic officially available NOW on Board Game Arena!

Post by Valkie71 »

Awesome!!!!
Andres1971

Post by Andres1971 »

I've played it and I'm sorry, but it's awful!!!
The dice are a freaking joke (and I'm not talking about the graphics here), but in the game I played, we had the following numbers:
2: 5 %
3: 7 %
4: 5 %
5: 0 %
6: 9 %
7: 9 %
8: 21 % !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9: 19 % !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10: 16 %
11: 9 %
12: 0 %

I've been playing Catan for years now, and sometimes the dice are messy, no doubt, and you can have uneven rolls. But that in the same game, you have 2 numbers (8 and 9) adding 40 % of the rolls and a 5 ZERO, that is completely unrealistic, and I have had my fair share of crappy games, when it comes to the dice.

The graphics are not great, but it's ok, in the end it doesn't matter. But that you can't use your scroll-wheel to zoom in or out and instead you have to click on a "+" or "-" button, that's ridiculous.

The way to trade is nice, and it works, in general.
But me, personally, I wanted to see if it's a viable alternative to Catan Universe or even to Colonist, and in my opinion, the answer is a very clear NO.
I won't say I didn't like it, because that would be a lie, I hated it and even though I love most of the games here on BGA, that's why I'm a Premium-Member, Catan is awful, sorry guys.
PhoenixRayn

Post by PhoenixRayn »

This is one of my all time favorite games, thank you so much for bringing it to BGA!!! After playing it twice now though, I will say the only thing I would improve is the trading component. I should be able to set some trading limitations, and so we don't have to wait until every player rejects every trade even when we don't have any resources. Both games I played were well over an hour because of how long this took. Maybe institute the longest turn points? :)
coltrb

Post by coltrb »

Andres1971 wrote: 24 June 2022, 14:51 I've played it and I'm sorry, but it's awful!!!
The dice are a freaking joke (and I'm not talking about the graphics here), but in the game I played, we had the following numbers:

I've been playing Catan for years now, and sometimes the dice are messy, no doubt, and you can have uneven rolls. But that in the same game, you have 2 numbers (8 and 9) adding 40 % of the rolls and a 5 ZERO, that is completely unrealistic, and I have had my fair share of crappy games, when it comes to the dice.

The graphics are not great, but it's ok, in the end it doesn't matter. But that you can't use your scroll-wheel to zoom in or out and instead you have to click on a "+" or "-" button, that's ridiculous.

But me, personally, I wanted to see if it's a viable alternative to Catan Universe or even to Colonist, and in my opinion, the answer is a very clear NO.
I won't say I didn't like it, because that would be a lie, I hated it and even though I love most of the games here on BGA, that's why I'm a Premium-Member, Catan is awful, sorry guys.
I agree, there's something that seems off with the dice logic. This was the one game I p
Dice results Rolls Roll %
Dice result ratio: 2 (~3%) . 0 0%
Dice result ratio: 3 (~6%) . 4 4%
Dice result ratio: 4 (~8%) . 2 2%
Dice result ratio: 5 (~11%) . 19 19%
Dice result ratio: 6 (~14%) . 19 19%
Dice result ratio: 7 (~17%) . 13 13%
Dice result ratio: 8 (~14%) . 15 15%
Dice result ratio: 9 (~11%) . 10 10%
Dice result ratio: 10 (~8%) . 6 6%
Dice result ratio: 11 (~6%) . 13 13%
Dice result ratio: 12 (~3%) . 0 0%
coltrb

Post by coltrb »

Andres1971 wrote: 24 June 2022, 14:51 I've played it and I'm sorry, but it's awful!!!

I agree, there's something that seems off with the dice logic. 11 got 13 rolls (double expected) while 4 got 2 rolls (25% of what was expected).
Dice results Rolls Roll %
Dice result ratio: 2 (~3%) . 0 0%
Dice result ratio: 3 (~6%) . 4 4%
Dice result ratio: 4 (~8%) . 2 2%
Dice result ratio: 5 (~11%) . 19 19%
Dice result ratio: 6 (~14%) . 19 19%
Dice result ratio: 7 (~17%) . 13 13%
Dice result ratio: 8 (~14%) . 15 15%
Dice result ratio: 9 (~11%) . 10 10%
Dice result ratio: 10 (~8%) . 6 6%
Dice result ratio: 11 (~6%) . 13 13%
Dice result ratio: 12 (~3%) . 0 0%
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

Claiming the dice are biased based on such small sample sizes (well under 100) is just not a credible claim. If you really think something's up, collect evidence from hundreds of games, totalling tens of thousands of rolls (and don't cheery-pick which games you include, decide in advance that you're going to count a game before you know what the dice are going to be). If your data still shows frequencies significantly off what would be expected, then perhaps there's a conversation to be had - but as a developer it's honestly way easier to just generate a fair random number from 1-6 than to go out of your way to mess with it, so it seems rather unlikely to be that distributions have been deliberately skewed. (Or accidentally so - there are lots of things that are easy to mess up in programming but biased die-rolling, when the easy way should give you unbiased results, is just not one that's likely to happen.)
Mr47the

Post by Mr47the »

Sweet!! A classic I've never played, looking forward to trying it out! :D
OutOfHabit

Post by OutOfHabit »

Spence of Spades wrote: 23 June 2022, 20:43 This is not a slight on BGA, I am sure they were making effort to get Catan for a long time. But I always thought Catan was too big to EVER come on BGA, kind of like asking if Peyton Manning would come quarterback your rec league flag football team. You can ASK, but it'll be a no. My opinion swayed a little when AZUL came on, I thought, maybe that will open a door, but still thought, NAHHH, never happen. Took a whim recently to see what was new in beta, and was stunned to see the orange box cover staring me in the face. Got four games completed in six days since. I see why it hit beta so quick, I haven't seen anything wrong on it yet. Hopefully you guys had a good bottle of champagne to celebrate. You earned it .
When Asmodee owns the game and the site, it is a little different story, though.
HeySuss

Post by HeySuss »

Omg finally! Well done getting this game!

Return to “Official announcements [en]”