Timer issue not enough time for both kinds of trades

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Cos-

Re: Timer issue not enough time for both kinds of trades

Post by Cos- »

I'm confused by this thread, unless the way the game timer works changed before I started playing (July 25) but after this thread was posted (July 23) and nobody noticed.

I assume you're talking about real time games, not turn based games.

I've played several real time catan games, and when I propose a trade my timer always freezes and the other players' timers start going. As soon as one player accepts or rejects my offer, their timer also freezes, but the remaining player's timers keep moving. Only when all players have responded, or when I click on someone accepting my trade offer, does my timer begin running again.

In other words, player trades do not use up my timer at all, beyond the time it takes me to make the offer, and the time it takes me to click on an accepted offer or to close the trade after everyone rejects. That's barely any time other than my actual thinking time when I decide what to offer. Which is exactly as it should be - that thinking time really is time I'm using.

Can someone explain what the problem is? Or, did the game really not used to work the way I described, before July 25?
makross

Post by makross »

Rukus McUallas wrote: 24 June 2022, 16:39
Cobaltinus wrote: 24 June 2022, 16:11
Rukus McUallas wrote: 23 June 2022, 16:32 Maybe have a secondary timer for trades? So the main clock is paused during trade, and a trade timer kicks in?
Thank you for your reply. I like this idea.
Especially since as the Player Trade initiator I have no control over how long an opponent takes to respond either accept/refuse or counter. A trade timer would fix this issue

A trade timer would be helpful if an opponent goes offline before responding to a trade. This happened in my last Catan game, I started a Player Trader and two opponents responded quickly, but the third opponent though the site indicated the player was online failed to give a response. Eventually, I realized that the player had gone absent and cancelled the trade, but a lot of time was wasted.

If there was a separate trade timer then opponents failing to respond would be less time consuming and annoying for other players.

Settlers of Catan is one of my favourite board games, but a BGA Catan game gets boring because games go a long time with nothing to do between turns. Anything that can be done to make game play faster would be appreciated.
A little addition. The trade timer should not be sanctioned, if people don't react to a trade offer. It should just be automated.
Actually I have a better suggestion on top of a trade timer:

1) have a setting that a player can automatically refuse trade on a certain time limit of their choosing, don't base it on them having the resource or not just let them set a timed amount no matter what.

2) the setting should have things like 1 minute, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes or 10% of remaining personnal trade time limit; with these in place a player can control how they do trade :)
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

That would be s great idea. I get so bored having to decline repeat requests for resources that have already been declined multiple times. I just had one game where a player exploited trade timer run down to get me kicked from the game from a winning position. Auto time out decline is a feature I want to see implemented
el cosimo

Post by el cosimo »

MrBeardy wrote: 17 August 2022, 23:55 That would be s great idea. I get so bored having to decline repeat requests for resources that have already been declined multiple times. I just had one game where a player exploited trade timer run down to get me kicked from the game from a winning position. Auto time out decline is a feature I want to see implemented
You can’t get kicked if you handle in 20 seconds.. that mean you didn’t react fast… you can also use the settings to auto decline for some kind of goods. I know it is a bit time consuming to set it every time right

Auto decline after amount of seconds can be a setting also.
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

el cosimo wrote: 18 August 2022, 08:07
MrBeardy wrote: 17 August 2022, 23:55 That would be s great idea. I get so bored having to decline repeat requests for resources that have already been declined multiple times. I just had one game where a player exploited trade timer run down to get me kicked from the game from a winning position. Auto time out decline is a feature I want to see implemented
You can’t get kicked if you handle in 20 seconds.. that mean you didn’t react fast… you can also use the settings to auto decline for some kind of goods. I know it is a bit time consuming to set it every time right

Auto decline after amount of seconds can be a setting also.
i shouldn't get kicked on another players turn where they keep making repeated BS trade requests and i've already declined a bunch of them. I can decline trades, move away from the trade window to look at the board, and they can keep spamming the trade with relaunches of the same offer. They ran my timer down so when it got to my turn and I wanted to work out what to do I had no time left. I was taking my turns and got kicked while clearly making moves. This is abuse of the timer and kick just because I was winning. The mobile version does not display enough information to let you see this is happening. unlike the desktop you cannot see the board and trade offers at the same time. you have to scroll to different areas and so it is possible to not be aware trade offers have been relaunched.
MiliMouse

Post by MiliMouse »

Je viens de faire une partie de Catan sur tablette, l’enfer… le timer est infernal et les boutons ne marchent pas bien il faut cliquer plein de fois dessus pour que ça fonctionne du coup j’ai été éjecté pour la première fois depuis que je suis sur BGA à cause du temps … un sentiment vraiment désagréable… En plus c’est ma troisième partie, on a le droit de réfléchir un peu dans ce jeu non ? Help.

Return to “Catan”