Tournaments & karma: new rules

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
GeraldineMerida

Re: Tournaments & karma: new rules

Post by GeraldineMerida »

sourisdudesert wrote: 29 June 2022, 07:21
GeraldineMerida wrote: 28 June 2022, 22:37 It is still not working reliably. I am playing in a Haiclue tournament at Table 271645893. One of the other players has made no move in our game since it started (well over 20 days) and is on 0 karma. The system has not booted her out.
It is. Check the tournament newsfeed.
One of the 2 players I mentioned above has now been eliminated from the tournament. Both are still freezing our game. As FSKFSK said, eliminated players need to be removed from frozen games.
Silene

Post by Silene »

GeraldineMerida wrote: 29 June 2022, 15:15
sourisdudesert wrote: 29 June 2022, 07:21
GeraldineMerida wrote: 28 June 2022, 22:37 It is still not working reliably. I am playing in a Haiclue tournament at Table 271645893. One of the other players has made no move in our game since it started (well over 20 days) and is on 0 karma. The system has not booted her out.
It is. Check the tournament newsfeed.
One of the 2 players I mentioned above has now been eliminated from the tournament. Both are still freezing our game. As FSKFSK said, eliminated players need to be removed from frozen games.
Is this about the fact that there is no quit penalty for people who don't get kicked by the opponnent and just lose because the table gets auto-abandonnend after the allowed max time in the tournament? I think it's nice if people are patient and allow others to use their thinking time so the game can finish regularly. But it is unsuccessful because the tournament advances, then the penalty should still be given to the delaying player.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Acuado

Post by Acuado »

GeraldineMerida wrote: 29 June 2022, 15:15 One of the 2 players I mentioned above has now been eliminated from the tournament. Both are still freezing our game. As FSKFSK said, eliminated players need to be removed from frozen games.
Maybe I expressed myself badly but it's exactly what i asked earlier !
Because when game has 4d+ for reflexion and if he never play .. it's so much long to wait..
Silene

Post by Silene »

Acuado wrote: 29 June 2022, 20:00
GeraldineMerida wrote: 29 June 2022, 15:15 One of the 2 players I mentioned above has now been eliminated from the tournament. Both are still freezing our game. As FSKFSK said, eliminated players need to be removed from frozen games.
Maybe I expressed myself badly but it's exactly what i asked earlier !
Because when game has 4d+ for reflexion and if he never play .. it's so much long to wait..
So when and how do you wanna decide about someone not playing? Because when having 4d of thinking time, you can actually step away from computer for 2 days. Nobody really likes waiting (not even "active" waiting in turn-based) for days for someone who isn't playing. But there is no solution to this. Not when they still have a positive clock. I'm totally glad, things are getting better now in regard of players who repeatedly didn't finish their games in time. But wanting to kick players from a game who are not even out of time is taking it a bit far ;) If you can't wait, maybe you should play only faster tournaments.

Also it is not exactly what you have asked earlier. Because (i think) you wanted to kick players that are not out of time while Geraldine has run into a situation where players are out of time but even though they were skipped, the game is stuck (bugged).
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Acuado

Post by Acuado »

Well i misunderstood what she said then.

And i talking about player who forfeit (or being kick) from tournament and dont play first move after 24/48h no matter the timer ; it's like a frozen game :lol:

Reason : They forfeit so.. no matter if they win or lose.. score will dont change for him :mrgreen:

Btw it's first tournament when i take long time (bad reading :P) and had like a little regret about it :?
Silene

Post by Silene »

You can kick them when their time is over. And some other games won't be finished by then anyway, so it doesn't hold up the tournament for too long. The most important thing is that they're excluded from the next round and that seems to be fixed now.
FSKFSK

Post by FSKFSK »

The tournament engine won't recognize the game as over unless it ends OR all non-timeout-booted players quit. The game can get stuck on the turn of a booted player, so other players won't be asked to take a turn; they won't realize they need to quit. After a player is booted the outcome can't change, so turn-based tournament games should just auto-end once a player is kicked/quits. It holds up the next round of the tournament until the stuck game ends by hitting the full time limit, 15 days or whatever.
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

Silene wrote: 29 June 2022, 21:56 You can kick them when their time is over. And some other games won't be finished by then anyway, so it doesn't hold up the tournament for too long. The most important thing is that they're excluded from the next round and that seems to be fixed now.
No, that is not fixed now.

The player I mentioned, who has run overtime in every recent game is now in their 3rd consecutive non-playing round of the same tournament. (A new game just started, and they are included.) It's ridiculous someone has 'very good' karma with 100% overtime record.

Last game, they were over 20 days overtime.

This is not a 'stepped away from the computer for a couple of days' issue.

And as all other players will share points if we boot this player (not ideal for those hoping to win the tournament), it DOES hold things up for very long indeed. (Last round, all other games had finished long before ours did.)
Silene

Post by Silene »

Your case is different. I was talking about the case of Acuado.

For your case, I think the problem the fact that abandonnend tournament games do not yield karma loss to the person causing it.
Also it is needed to withdraw someone from the tournament who caused disruption by not finishing their game(s). But that's different to kicking someone from the game who has still time on their clock.
FSKFSK

Post by FSKFSK »

According to the new rule, they won't be auto-withdrawn from the tournament unless their overall karma falls below a fixed threshold. It's too easy to play a few quick games and recover any lost karma.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”