Rules - Lightning Bolt

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
SquashEngineer

Rules - Lightning Bolt

Post by SquashEngineer »

In the King of Tokyo rules (official pdf), on page 4, in the "Example of a Dice Roll" section, there are two phrases stating that Gigazaur gains a Power Cube due to the Lightning Bolt die roll. Is there a reason this is stated twice, within the same Dice resolution phase of this example? Is this a rules printing error? It is a little confusing for me as a first time player reading the rules. This game is popular and has been in circulation for some time - has this been identified already?
voriki

Re: Rules - Lightning Bolt

Post by voriki »

First time it says he gains 1 (energy, lightning symbol), next time it mentions you take 1 energy from the pool(the physical action).

I understand the confusion, they could have worded it better in the rulebook. But you do just get 1 Energy token/cube/bolt/whatchamacallit for each lightning symbol rolled on the die*.

*exceptions exist, but that's due to special cards and expansions, it won't be confusing if those cards are around.

Not sure how it is stated in the Monster Box rulebook, it's half in storage and I always forget to check it. Monster Box is a reprint that combines KoT and 2 of its expansions, thus a reworked rulebook, but not by much.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

There ARE expansions? New rabbit hole. I'm wanting to learn this game on BGA before considering purchase, since it gets so much hype. It seems so simplistic, I don't yet get the attraction?
thoun

Post by thoun »

SquashEngineer wrote: 27 June 2022, 19:49 There ARE expansions? New rabbit hole. I'm wanting to learn this game on BGA before considering purchase, since it gets so much hype. It seems so simplistic, I don't yet get the attraction?
You can try it here, with already 6 optional mini-expansions, you will see why it is fun :)
voriki

Post by voriki »

SquashEngineer wrote: 27 June 2022, 19:49 There ARE expansions? New rabbit hole. I'm wanting to learn this game on BGA before considering purchase, since it gets so much hype. It seems so simplistic, I don't yet get the attraction?
Here's a nice overview.
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Kin ... kyo_series

So you have King of Tokyo base game, and this got a sister game King of New York. In October they'll release their 3rd game King of Monster Island.
King of Tokyo recieved a Halloween Expansion adding Costume cards.
Both games received their own individual Power Up Expansion with Evolution cards.
There are 4 Monster Packs that are usable in both Tokyo and New York.
And there is an upcoming micro-expansion for Tokyo that replicated the Wickedness mechanic that was added to the limited edition King of Tokyo Dark.

So far New York and the Power Up(evolution) are not available on BGA, but there's already so many we can do with the other expansions.

I had played KoT before once or twice, but when Thoun brought it to BGA, I was instantly hooked and even started collecting everything I could in actual life. My collection is starting to look nice, and can't wait to add Monster Island to the bunch.
What fascinates me most if that the cards effect are simple, the mechanics are simple, but the thousands of combinations that are possible changes gameplay so much. This is what attracts me most.
Last edited by voriki on 29 June 2022, 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

I very much like the look of KoT Dark (I had no idea there were so many versions/expansions). As a first timer, can I start with that version? Is it the same game as KoT, with the added side track, but basically functions the same gameplay, with a different, darker skin? Would it even be available (even second hand) anywhere given it was a limited edition? - I see base games available all the time.

How can you navigate to the "Series" wiki page for all other games on BGG? (like say for Colt Express if it exists)
voriki

Post by voriki »

SquashEngineer wrote: 28 June 2022, 13:13 Is it the same game as KoT, with the added side track, but basically functions the same gameplay, with a different, darker skin?
How can you navigate to the "Series" wiki page for all other games on BGG? (like say for Colt Express if it exists)
It is kind of the same game. Aside from the look and estaetics there are 2 main differences.
The wicked track, rolll [1][1][1]/[2][2][2] for WP, but you could ignore that Wickedness mechanic if you want. Maybe easier for a first time player.
The Power Cards are nearly identical, but tweaked. Of the top of my head:
- Some of them have a different Energy Cost(Gourmet card, Roll [1][1][1] and get 2 extra VP), costs 1 more Energy because rolling [1]'s is far more popular with the Wicked mechanic
- Solar Energy is now renamed Lunar Energy, costs 1 more, but gives you 2 energy at the end of your turn if you are broke. (I think, woeking from memory)
- a couple of new cards, even 2 cards I think that cost 0 Energy, but ofcourse the effect could also be negative on you.
- only 1 Extra Head instead of 2 Heads, because one of them got replaced by a Wicked Tile
- Mimic power card has been replaced by Fluxling Wicked Tile

Bottom line is, you can still play Dark like it is, without the Wicked mechanic, it won't be far off of the base game.
SquashEngineer wrote: 28 June 2022, 13:13 How can you navigate to the "Series" wiki page for all other games on BGG? (like say for Colt Express if it exists)
To be honest, I always get there through google. It's a wiki page created by a user, and I've did some updates to it.

What is also interesting is that on the main BGG site you can go to a game page and look at linked items.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/703 ... ccessories
You can see what accesories, expansions, implementations games have. Ofcourse nowhere is it said that lists are complete, as those also need to be updated manually. I you link game A to Accessory B, you'll see on page B that it also got linked back to A.
Last edited by voriki on 30 June 2022, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

OK played my first game on BGA. I had no idea what was going on. It was a two player match up. Playing dice. Getting cards (not sure how or when to use them. I didn't understand what the value of being in Tokyo, or leaving Tokyo is? When should I go in, When should I leave?

I had 7 hearts - my opponent had 9 hearts. All of a sudden the game is over - I'm down to zero hearts and he's still at 9. Can you sweep a guy in one turn all the way from 7 hearts? What happened? Did he get a massive number of claws in one turn (how possible?) BGA replay was awful.

I think I'm missing something with the nature of blind, turn-based, digital play, on BGA. I think I need to see it play out with three or four players on a real table to get the gist of this game.

hmmm. We'll see. I'm not rushing to replay this any time soon.
thoun

Post by thoun »

BGA provide tutorials for games, you can check it if you don't want to read the rules ;)
voriki

Post by voriki »

SquashEngineer wrote: 29 June 2022, 21:48 OK played my first game on BGA.
Congrats
SquashEngineer wrote: 29 June 2022, 21:48 It was a two player match up.
Small note, there is an (optional) change of rules in 2 player games, which was default enabled, as was the case on your game table #278867038
Normally being in Tokyo rewards you Victory Points, but in the change of rules, you get Energy instead.
As you didn't really know how the game works, you probably didn't know how Tokyo functions.
I suggest a 4 player game is better to get to know how it works. Mind you, play first without any expansions as otherwise you'll be overwhelmed by the amount of information.
SquashEngineer wrote: 29 June 2022, 21:48 Playing dice.
It's kinda like Yathzee, roll 3 times, set dice aside.
1,2 and 3 will gain you Victory Points if you roll at least 3 of the same faces.
[1] [1] [1] will give you 1 VP, every extra [1] you roll will give you 1 extra VP
[2] [2] [2] will give you 2 VP, every extra [2] you roll will give you 1 extra VP
[3] [3] [3] will give you 3 VP, every extra [3] you roll will give you 1 extra VP
Hearts make you heal up, but they do not fuction while you are IN Tokyo.
The claws make you attack the players who are not in your "zone". You are either IN Tokyo, or OUT of Tokyo. Those IN attack the OUT, those OUT attack the IN. Attacked players may optionally leave Tokyo(so they can heal), and the Monster who was OUT goes IN.
SquashEngineer wrote: 29 June 2022, 21:48 Getting cards (not sure how or when to use them.
Rolling Energy bolts will give you Energy, which is an ingame currency to puchase Power Cards, which give you additional powers.
KEEP cards stay with you and continue working, DISCARD cards are 1 time use only and activate immediately.
SquashEngineer wrote: 29 June 2022, 21:48 I didn't understand what the value of being in Tokyo, or leaving Tokyo is? When should I go in, When should I leave?
It depends, being in Tokyo is rewarding, but you have to take into account it makes you vulnerable to atatck of other players. But you can also spread your attack around(1 claw hits all players)
SquashEngineer wrote: 29 June 2022, 21:48 I had 7 hearts - my opponent had 9 hearts. All of a sudden the game is over - I'm down to zero hearts and he's still at 9. Can you sweep a guy in one turn all the way from 7 hearts? What happened? Did he get a massive number of claws in one turn (how possible?) BGA replay was awful.
You were at 4 Hearts, not 7 Hearts. Your opponent rolled 3 claws and added another extra claw with his Power Card, Spiked Tail.

Try again with 4 players, stay a bit on the background at first, watch what strategies the other follow, are they attacking a lot, or saving up Victory Points(stars)? Pay attention to those who hoard Energy, they can change the gameplay in an instant.

(edited some typoes)

Return to “King of Tokyo”