Would it be possible to have the special rules in the scenario description?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Kartigan

Would it be possible to have the special rules in the scenario description?

Post by Kartigan »

Basically the thread title is my question/suggestion. As someone relatively new to Memoir '44 I have the basics down, but I know nothing of the expansions. So when the scenario description says "Marine rules are in effect, consult page X.", that is a pain. I have to try and find a rules pdf somewhere online (and figure out which rules PDF I need), then lookup the rule in question. Next scenario, the same thing occurs "Italian and Commonwealth rules are in effect....), commence more furious google searches.

Is this something that is forbidden by Days of Wonder?

If not, even just short summaries would be extremely helpful, with a page number if you need to lookup the exact rules.

As a beginner who's still learning the game, that would be extremely helpful to have on site in the game in the scenario description.

Thanks for the great implementation.
Tisaac

Re: Would it be possible to have the special rules in the scenario description?

Post by Tisaac »

Kartigan wrote: 28 June 2022, 21:09 Basically the thread title is my question/suggestion. As someone relatively new to Memoir '44 I have the basics down, but I know nothing of the expansions. So when the scenario description says "Marine rules are in effect, consult page X.", that is a pain. I have to try and find a rules pdf somewhere online (and figure out which rules PDF I need), then lookup the rule in question. Next scenario, the same thing occurs "Italian and Commonwealth rules are in effect....), commence more furious google searches.

Is this something that is forbidden by Days of Wonder?

If not, even just short summaries would be extremely helpful, with a page number if you need to lookup the exact rules.

As a beginner who's still learning the game, that would be extremely helpful to have on site in the game in the scenario description.

Thanks for the great implementation.
It's really not easy because this part is just some text, it's not an automatic list generated from some scenario flags. So that would require a lot of work to change that.
Burlington

Post by Burlington »

Each of the Memoir 44 special rules are listed under the "How to Play" tab, which is at the bottom left of the screen (below where the playable cards are displayed). Click on the tab and the links to the pdf for each set of rules will be displayed.
diamant

Post by diamant »

Burlington wrote: 29 June 2022, 02:51 Each of the Memoir 44 special rules are listed under the "How to Play" tab, which is at the bottom left of the screen (below where the playable cards are displayed). Click on the tab and the links to the pdf for each set of rules will be displayed.
You have obviously not understood that the problem is that the special rules refer to pages of a rule book that is not identified.

When the creator of a Memoir '44 table chooses a scenario, he can determine the booklet where this scenario can be found by means of a two-letter code.
Players who do not understand this code, or who join a table already created, do not have information to identify this booklet during the game.

So, for a player not experienced at Memoir '44 and who does not have the base box and its extensions, it can be quite complicated to find a rule point listed in the scenario, but not explained.
Kartigan

Post by Kartigan »

diamant wrote: 29 June 2022, 17:38
Burlington wrote: 29 June 2022, 02:51 Each of the Memoir 44 special rules are listed under the "How to Play" tab, which is at the bottom left of the screen (below where the playable cards are displayed). Click on the tab and the links to the pdf for each set of rules will be displayed.
You have obviously not understood that the problem is that the special rules refer to pages of a rule book that is not identified.

When the creator of a Memoir '44 table chooses a scenario, he can determine the booklet where this scenario can be found by means of a two-letter code.
Players who do not understand this code, or who join a table already created, do not have information to identify this booklet during the game.

So, for a player not experienced at Memoir '44 and who does not have the base box and its extensions, it can be quite complicated to find a rule point listed in the scenario, but not explained.
This is exactly what I am describing. There isn't any way in the actual game app to see what the rules are, and a page number being listed in the scenario description is not very helpful if you don't even know what book it is referring to. This is a huge hurdle for getting into the game as a newer player.

I've watched it happen to other players to, one player played nearly an entire game as the Marines not realizing they were able to order an extra unit every turn.

I appreciate it being pointed out that there are links to the rulebooks at the bottom under "How to Play", but that still seems a bit obnoxious.

My suggestion would be to add a list of all the expansions special rules and powers somewhere in the game app. Under the "How to Play", I would simply list some of the more common rules in a shorter reference format. Barring that I would at least put what rulebook the rules could be found in, in addition to a page number.

If none of that is possible, I would recommend that "training mode" or whatever it is called where new players learn how to play the game is restricted to base game scenarios only.
diamant

Post by diamant »

Even if you have all the rule books on hand, it can be tedious to consult all the rule points related to a given scenario.

That’s why Days of Wonder has created a set of summary cards that allow you to recall the rules distributed in the different boxes, extensions and other Memoir '44 add-ons. These cards can be consulted here:
https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/e ... ompendium/ (english)
https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/f ... ompendium/ (french)

The use of these cards is illustrated on this page:
https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/e ... erow-hell/

Here, the summary cards are printed on each side of the battle map. A player who would have the entire collection of summary cards could do the same for any scenario, by selecting the set of summary cards useful to the scenario played, and by placing them close to the board to be able to consult all these points of rules during the game.
In real life, few Memoir '44 players have this complete collection, as most of the summary cards were in the Air Pack, an extension that was quickly sold out and not reissued.
The use of these summary cards in the digitized version of Memoir '44 on BGA could be a solution to your problem, provided that these cards are correctly rendered, which is far from being the case at the moment.
Burlington

Post by Burlington »

Kartigan wrote: 29 June 2022, 18:04

This is exactly what I am describing. There isn't any way in the actual game app to see what the rules are, and a page number being listed in the scenario description is not very helpful if you don't even know what book it is referring to. This is a huge hurdle for getting into the game as a newer player.

I've watched it happen to other players to, one player played nearly an entire game as the Marines not realizing they were able to order an extra unit every turn.

I appreciate it being pointed out that there are links to the rulebooks at the bottom under "How to Play", but that still seems a bit obnoxious.

My suggestion would be to add a list of all the expansions special rules and powers somewhere in the game app. Under the "How to Play", I would simply list some of the more common rules in a shorter reference format. Barring that I would at least put what rulebook the rules could be found in, in addition to a page number.

If none of that is possible, I would recommend that "training mode" or whatever it is called where new players learn how to play the game is restricted to base game scenarios only.
Okay, I did not understand the question. But what was obnoxious about what I said? I was trying to be helpful.
Kartigan

Post by Kartigan »

Burlington wrote: 01 July 2022, 04:57
diamant wrote: 29 June 2022, 17:38 You have obviously not understood that the problem is that the special rules refer to pages of a rule book that is not identified.

Okay, I did not understand the question. But what was obnoxious about what I said? I was trying to be helpful.
I was not referring to your comment as obnoxious, I was saying that the process of trying to find the right rulebook at the bottom of the page, download it, then lookup the rules inside it was obnoxious.
Burlington

Post by Burlington »

Kartigan wrote: 01 July 2022, 20:06
Burlington wrote: 01 July 2022, 04:57

I was not referring to your comment as obnoxious, I was saying that the process of trying to find the right rulebook at the bottom of the page, download it, then lookup the rules inside it was obnoxious.
I appreciate you clarifying that. Have a great weekend.
twenty9oh7

Post by twenty9oh7 »

The user redbirdrambo placed many of these special rules in the "How to play" wiki and many can be found if you CTRL+F the term you're looking for. Unfortunately this is English only and some may be missing, but I added all of the language editions I could find for the rulebook and the wiki can always be edited to include any special rules missing.

Return to “Memoir 44”