Never 2 Without 3

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Joëlle_

Re: Never 2 Without 3

Post by Joëlle_ »

And now, anyone here is able to tell me the meaning of "Pierre qui roule n'amasse pas mousse" pleeeease!?
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

In bowling, that's a "turkey."
King Hrothbeort

Post by King Hrothbeort »

Joëlle_ wrote: 24 May 2023, 17:26 And now, anyone here is able to tell me the meaning of "Pierre qui roule n'amasse pas mousse" pleeeease!?
A rolling stone gathers no moss

This proverb now has two meanings: people pay a price for being always on the move, in that they have no roots in a specific place (the original meaning); or people who keep moving avoid picking up responsibilities and cares.
Nullzone

Post by Nullzone »

The English version of this phrase is typically "Once is an accident, twice a coincidence, three times a pattern". It's a celebration of your ability to succeed consistently!
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

Zozoken wrote: 08 July 2022, 22:22 Ah, cool. I often wondered what that phrase meant. Now I know it's an expression in French. Neat! As far as I know, there's no equivalent expression in English.
In Italian we have the same expression: "Non c'è due senza tre" (Literally "There is no 2 without 3"), so even if I use BGA in english it was very clear to me, I never thought it could make no sense for english speakers :lol:
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

Nullzone wrote: 27 May 2023, 19:57 The English version of this phrase is typically "Once is an accident, twice a coincidence, three times a pattern". It's a celebration of your ability to succeed consistently!
I'm a native speaker and former English teacher and have never heard this expression before!
Joëlle_

Post by Joëlle_ »

King Hrothbeort wrote: 24 May 2023, 18:45
Joëlle_ wrote: 24 May 2023, 17:26 And now, anyone here is able to tell me the meaning of "Pierre qui roule n'amasse pas mousse" pleeeease!?
A rolling stone gathers no moss

This proverb now has two meanings: people pay a price for being always on the move, in that they have no roots in a specific place (the original meaning); or people who keep moving avoid picking up responsibilities and cares.

... And is it a real proverb in english too? (or just a free translation?)
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

"A rolling stone gathers no moss" is a real proverb.
the band The Rolling Stones took their name from it.
and the Dylan song "Like a rolling stone".
I believe the magazine Rolling Stone took their name from either the band or the song, rather than the proverb, but I may be wrong.
Perduicitte

Post by Perduicitte »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_rolling ... rs_no_moss
It's latin. Thanks Wikipedia. Low effort.

Now, not wikipedia, here: Jamais deux sans trois: https://www.europe1.fr/societe/pourquoi ... is-3996874
Supporting Nullzone's comment.

And what about, I hear you say: "Happy wife, happy life!"
Just untrue https://www.ualberta.ca/folio/2022/08/n ... otype.html
Find out for yourself... get a wife! To your own risks. :lol:

Return to “Discussions”