How does scoring treasures work

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Serpents

How does scoring treasures work

Post by Serpents »

I had a resent game that had the following final situation and scores:

Player 1:
Red = 11, Black = 11, Green = 17, Blue = 12, Treasures = 4
Player 2:
Red = 24, Black = 17, Green = 18, Blue = 10, Treasures = 4
Player 3:
Red = 10, Black = 2, Green = 3, Blue = 18, Treasures = 4

The end result of the game is:
Player 2 -> 14 Points (I Place)
Player 1 -> 12 Points (II Place)
Player 3 -> 2 Points (III Place)

Since the rules state that the final scoring is each players lowest color of influence + treasure allocation isn't the final result supposed to be:
Player 1 -> 15 Points (I Place) 11 from Red / Black influence + 4 from Treasures
Player 2 -> 14 Points (II Place) 10 from Blue influence + 4 from Treasures
Player 3 -> 2 Points (III Place) 2 from Black influence + 0 from Treasures

Am I not understanding the rules correctly or is this a bug that should be reported?
Thanks in advance.
Ranior

Re: How does scoring treasures work

Post by Ranior »

You are not understanding the rules correctly.

You are correct that final scores are lowest color of influence plus treasure allocation, but you are not doing the treasure allocation correctly.

You are allocating all treasures are once to the lowest score. This is not correct. You allocate treasures one at a time to whichever color you have the least in, and keep repeating that process. This means that for player 1 in your example the first treasure gets allocated to Red, then the next to Black, and then you still assign one to Red, and another to Black, but now Blue is the lowest at 12 at the end of that and so Player 1's score is 12.

Player 2 just happens to be in a position where all four treasures get assigned to Blue, and so their score indeed does go to 14 and therefore takes first place.

(The math doesn't quite work out for Player 3 to the points you've quoted, I'm assuming you told us some number wrong.)
Serpents

Post by Serpents »

Thank you very much.
I've posted Player 3's result wrong, they've got no treasures.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

In other words: first allocate the treasures, then pick the lowest influence. The most efficient way to allocate the treasures is as Ranior said, one by one to the lowest color each time.
hilarion_lefuneste

Post by hilarion_lefuneste »

ah ok, I understand why I did win my previous game and not an opponent who had two equally weak colors which did split his treasures :D

Return to “Tigris & Euphrates”