need visual reminders of what colours/numbers you do NOT have

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Fortune

need visual reminders of what colours/numbers you do NOT have

Post by Fortune »

Do you agree that the BGA adaptation should give you visual reminders of what colours/numbers you do NOT have?
For instance, I clued one of your cards as 2, now you know that your other cards are NOT 2. So the program should mark these other cards as "NOT 2".
I think this would be such a nice update.
Jellby

Re: need visual reminders of what colours/numbers you do NOT have

Post by Jellby »

No. Already the visible tags feel too much like cheating. As a table (not personal) option, why not?
aghagh

Post by aghagh »

This was suggested for the first time many, many years ago, and never got implemented.

See https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... f=9&t=4835
Stroom

Post by Stroom »

Yeah, they should exist.

It's not cheating. You could be able to look at the history of the game too and recollect all that information from there... but that makes the game incredibly slow. Online games work differently from real life games so there's no point trying to make them as lifelike as possible. Rather embrace it and make the game more fun to play online. Different mediums...
Fortune

Post by Fortune »

Agreed. It is not a memory game, so all actionable information should be made visible.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

I disagree, it *is* a memory game (among other things).

But if we are going to have more help, I want a list of all the combinations every face-down card could be, considering the clues received, but also all visible, played and discarded cards. For face-up cards, the same but only with the info I know the other player has.
Travis Hall

Post by Travis Hall »

It is partially a memory game. The physical game specifically allows the tiles/cards to be moved and positioned as an aid to memory. Players aren’t supposed to have to rely on their memory alone, but the physical game doesn’t take the burden of having to remember entirely off the players.

The adaptation to online play found here is intended to replicate the general experience, even if it can’t replicate the exact mechanics. That is, it’s intended to ease, but not entirely remove, the burden of having to remember. Displaying the cards touched by each clue was considered by the designer and developers to be about right in that regard, and you would probably need a compelling argument that more information than that can generally be recorded by positioning of tiles in the physical game if you hope to convince the game designer that a change is warranted.

Return to “Hanabi”