Arena real-time games should be all fast mode

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
JaderSegatto

Arena real-time games should be all fast mode

Post by JaderSegatto »

If Arena's purpose is to be competitive playing, all Arena games played in real time should be automatically fast mode. There is no reason to leave 3 minutes for every turn. If you want extra time to think or learn the game, go simple game or turn-based.
FSKFSK

Re: Arena real-time games should be all fast mode

Post by FSKFSK »

It only makes a difference if you're playing someone who's turtling and using up their entire clock every turn. Sometimes you need to think 2 minutes for a move.
JaderSegatto

Post by JaderSegatto »

Nobody NEEDS to think more than 2 minutes for A move. People WANT to spend that long for THE PERFECT move. Again, arena is supposed to be competitive. If you want to spend 90 seconds thinking for a move, you're in the wrong mode.
Strode

Post by Strode »

Depends on the game. Some require more thought than others.
sesc

Post by sesc »

JaderSegatto wrote: 30 January 2023, 03:28 People WANT to spend that long for THE PERFECT move. Again, arena is supposed to be competitive.
Hm, to me that's exactly the reason why it should not be in fast mode.
It is competitive, so you are supposed to find the best move possible to win against your opponents.
joaobarb

Post by joaobarb »

I disagree. The slowest real-time mode is not very slow. The timebank is not refilled 100% on every move so it's not 3min per move, but you can use your 3 min to think on a decisive move.
(I don't know the exact mechanics of the timebank refill but it does get refilled if you make several quick turns)
I personally have a lot more fun having a reasonable time to think, and 3 minutes is not that much, than having to play blitz at every turn.
nicch

Post by nicch »

Surely wanting it to be fast mode to speed everyone up is as much a tactic as someone using their whole allotted time. By hurrying someone up you are really wanting them to make a mistake or wrong move. If they have 3 minutes then they should be allowed the 3 minutes without being hassled.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

JaderSegatto wrote: 30 January 2023, 03:28 Nobody NEEDS to think more than 2 minutes for A move. People WANT to spend that long for THE PERFECT move. Again, arena is supposed to be competitive. If you want to spend 90 seconds thinking for a move, you're in the wrong mode.
You are saying competitive and fast are the same thing. With that logic, the World Chess Championship which allots 120 minutes for the first 40 moves is not "competitive." Many would argue that trying to find the perfect move is the highest form of competition.

The title should be "Arena real-time games should be all fast mode because I'm an action junkie." It's OK to be an action junkie. Just own it and don't try to invent a rationale for why it's better. It's just a preference, like some people prefer bullet chess with 1 minute total for all moves and no time added each move.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”