Unused card ability warning

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs

Do you think such a warning would be useful?

Yes, I sometimes forget to use the ability on my cards.
65%
I don't care.
No votes
No, it would be annoying.
35%

Total votes: 17

ZeLiBoBaS

Unused card ability warning

Post by ZeLiBoBaS »

I'd be great to add warning message that appears at the end of your turn if you didn't use some cards ability.
Please, vote.
diamant

Re: Unused card ability warning

Post by diamant »

ZeLiBoBaS wrote: 15 July 2022, 23:34 I'd be great to add warning message that appears at the end of your turn if you didn't use some cards ability.
One of the most annoying things about Seasons is that your in-game Power cards are reordered incoherently when you return to a table you left. One of the consequences of this, especially in turn-by-turn mode, is that you can hardly find the cards that you need to use because they’re at a different location.
The summoned cards are arranged naturally from left to right, and should always keep their chronological order from left to right, even when some of your cards leave the game.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

diamant wrote: 16 July 2022, 00:05
ZeLiBoBaS wrote: 15 July 2022, 23:34 I'd be great to add warning message that appears at the end of your turn if you didn't use some cards ability.
One of the most annoying things about Seasons is that your in-game Power cards are reordered incoherently when you return to a table you left. One of the consequences of this, especially in turn-by-turn mode, is that you can hardly find the cards that you need to use because they’re at a different location.
The summoned cards are arranged naturally from left to right, and should always keep their chronological order from left to right, even when some of your cards leave the game.
Same thing happen in legendary inventors.
If you refresh the page, the inventions are in a different order.
velazquezdavid4

Post by velazquezdavid4 »

Absolutely. Currently playing a game right now with Idol of the Familiars. I think i've forgotten to use that card about 8 times by now and the game is about done. I'd say i have about 20-30 points just floating out there because as soon as i hit end turn, i think SHOOT! i forgot to activate that card. IT would be nice if maybe there was a separate space for cards that you can tap. Or, as you said, had a reminder for them.
JeroenDemeyer

Post by JeroenDemeyer »

Please, vote.
The problem is that, in general, you don't want to activate all cards each turn. In fact, Idol of the Familiar mentioned here is one of the few cards that you do want to activate each turn (I actually can't think of another card like that right away). So basically what you're asking is more like a "confirm to end my turn" button (which may be useful, some other games have that).
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

It's computer aided play.

You don't get this prompt in real-life, why should you get it here?
diamant

Post by diamant »

RicardoRix wrote: 10 August 2022, 11:03 It's computer aided play.

In real life, no idiot comes to change the order of your cards in play while you look away. Yet this is what happens on BGA.

You may remember to have played such and such a card at some point in the game, but if the next time the card is in a different location, you may forget that you played it and need to activate it.
Before you consider adding additional features, the least you can do is to ensure that the implementation does not hinder players with unnecessary and disruptive features.
I also remind that any player has the ability to take notes and use them as a reminder, which can be useful in turn-based mode.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Yes, so your complaint is that cards are ordered properly, not that there must be a computer aided reminder to play all your cards.
They are 2 different things.
tchobello

Post by tchobello »

I do totally agree on this and therefore vote 'no'
SwHawk

Post by SwHawk »

diamant wrote: 10 August 2022, 11:37 In real life, no idiot comes to change the order of your cards in play while you look away. Yet this is what happens on BGA.

You may remember to have played such and such a card at some point in the game, but if the next time the card is in a different location, you may forget that you played it and need to activate it.
Before you consider adding additional features, the least you can do is to ensure that the implementation does not hinder players with unnecessary and disruptive features.
I also remind that any player has the ability to take notes and use them as a reminder, which can be useful in turn-based mode.
I'm not sure I'd blame this on the BGA implementation. I mean, the card reordering problem just hasn't appeared within the last 2 months, it's been there since the beginning. So basically it's something we've all had to deal with.

I personnaly lost count of the number of times I haven't activated a card, and basically it wasn't because it was not in the same spot, it was because I was focused on other aspects of the game. Yes even the Idol of the Familiar, which cost me games as well. But I don't blame it on the implementation. I blame it on me for not thinking about activating the card...

I do agree with RicardoRix on that point, your opponents wouldn't remind you to activate your cards during a game in real life. It also falls in the category of player assistance that I don't like. Players need to be focused on the game they are playing. The interface isn't supposed to help you determine what you should do, or have missed. That's your responsibility as a player.

Edit : Also, what's the next step after this one, requesting a warning when someone gives you Io's Minion or the Damned Soul of Onys ? I think you get my drift...

Return to “Seasons”