Distinct disadvantage for 1st position and advantage for last position

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
JCase16

Distinct disadvantage for 1st position and advantage for last position

Post by JCase16 »

Because of the nature of this game, if you go first you are almost guaranteed to never win alone. Going last and you are almost guaranteed to always be able to solve when the others solve. Especially in 3 or more player games. I think one optional setting should be: Once someone guesses correctly, all other players get a chance to answer.
trojanrabbit

Re: Distinct disadvantage for 1st position and advantage for last position

Post by trojanrabbit »

Agreed. This is the main reason I've stopped playing.
RMGreen

Post by RMGreen »

I also agree that as currently coded, later players have a distinct advantage. Once someone solves each player should have an opportunity to also solve, regardless of initial turn order.
Zeta Gundam

Post by Zeta Gundam »

Agreed.But this fair rule may lead too many tie games, the joyment of being the first one whom provided the right code will be flushed. That's another question.
WolfboyNick

Post by WolfboyNick »

I was curious if others noticed this too. I figured it out in my last game, but since I was first I wasn’t able to answer. The 3rd player has the benefit of x+2 questions. I don’t think that is evened out by the first player having the first pick of the questions.
step-hanie

Post by step-hanie »

It's a pity if players lose interest because of this. I think there are a few options that could be added:

* Like Lucky Numbers, make a tourney mode, so all players start a game (you play as many rounds as there are players)
* Make it able to submit your guess, even when it's not your turn (and communicate to other players that 'a player' submitted a guess after question x, to build pressure) . In that case you can determine the winner by the number of questions one needed.
step-hanie

Post by step-hanie »

But let's agree, this is only an issue for turn based tables. In real time, everyone's puzzling at the same time and you also have that option in turn based, also when it's not your turn.

You only don't have the option to submit your answer when it's not your turn, that's an implementation choice bga/designer can make.
beanRoaster

Post by beanRoaster »

I completely agree. I think once a player guesses the correct answer, the others should get one more chance to submit their guess too. The first time I played a 3-player game, I was first player and had it figured out after the 2nd player picked a question, but the 3rd player guessed the answer and I had no chance to win. As one other poster here has suggested, one other option would be to play X rounds with X players so you each have a chance to play every position. You could then just tally the wins (or ties) across all X games under the current rules.
canadian ghost

Post by canadian ghost »

I've stopped playing after realizing the disadvantage earlier players have.

I benefited (in 4th) and got hit (in 2nd) .... so there's no fairness

Return to “Break the Code”