bang sucks, 1 game can't stand it

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
board game nerd

bang sucks, 1 game can't stand it

Post by board game nerd »

2 problims, 1, you should be able to choose you card, not from an unreadable drop down menue, but between 2 cards, 2, you should make the option of showing roles, a most people who play are bozo's and just randomly hit people
voriki

Re: bang sucks, 1 game can't stand it

Post by voriki »

board game nerd wrote: 20 July 2022, 22:53 you should be able to choose you card, not from an unreadable drop down menue, but between 2 cards
That's a house rule, a very popular one, but not in the official rules.
board game nerd wrote: 20 July 2022, 22:53 you should make the option of showing roles
Explicitly prohibited by the official rules
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

Maybe just set up games with people you know are not bozos? Or educate the bozos a bit so they stop playing against their self interest?
kuzestanx

Post by kuzestanx »

voriki wrote: 21 July 2022, 10:27
board game nerd wrote: 20 July 2022, 22:53 you should be able to choose you card, not from an unreadable drop down menue, but between 2 cards
I have seen this argument "to the home rule". But why is there an option to start the game with pre-installed characters? I don't know anyone irl who would do that, but someone probably does idk.
Why is one home rule implemented (clearly not very common) while another (which everyone is asking for) not?
voriki

Post by voriki »

kuzestanx wrote: 16 August 2022, 20:05
voriki wrote: 21 July 2022, 10:27
I have seen this argument "to the home rule". But why is there an option to start the game with pre-installed characters? I don't know anyone irl who would do that, but someone probably does idk.
Why is one home rule implemented (clearly not very common) while another (which everyone is asking for) not?
You do have a point there that that feature is not in the rules(you could even make all players the same character). I do assume that this feature was added for testing, and since it was already made possible, they saw no reason to remove it. However the drafting of characters by choosing out of 2 characters is something new they'd have to program in, which is a whole other ballgame.
kuzestanx

Post by kuzestanx »

voriki wrote: 16 August 2022, 21:08
I've seen changes made to the game since its launch and for a long time after. You wrote earlier, correct me if I'm wrong, that we should not wait for additions to the game because of the copyright holder. And as for the ability to choose a character, is it the same reason here? Or is it rather "others home rule? o no, i won't/can't waste a time for it"?
voriki

Post by voriki »

kuzestanx wrote: 17 August 2022, 01:00
I've seen changes made to the game since its launch and for a long time after. You wrote earlier, correct me if I'm wrong, that we should not wait for additions to the game because of the copyright holder. And as for the ability to choose a character, is it the same reason here? Or is it rather "others home rule? o no, i won't/can't waste a time for it"?
If you properly did you research Bang sub-forum, the developer of the BGA-adaption expressed that he does not want to further develop the game. So anything "extra" you ask, has to be done by a new developer.
Any deviation of the official rules also have to be approved by the publisher.

There is a procedure in place for a reason.
kuzestanx

Post by kuzestanx »

voriki wrote: 17 August 2022, 06:31
kuzestanx wrote: 17 August 2022, 01:00
If you properly did you research Bang sub-forum, the developer of the BGA-adaption expressed that he does not want to further develop the game. So anything "extra" you ask, has to be done by a new developer.
Any deviation of the official rules also have to be approved by the publisher.

There is a procedure in place for a reason.
I'm afraid I just don't quite understand the phrase "does not want to further develop the game". That is, the relatively recently added ability to choose the order of discarding cards (which should be improved) and other minor improvements do not count as development of the game?
voriki

Post by voriki »

kuzestanx wrote: 17 August 2022, 13:08 That is, the relatively recently added ability to choose the order of discarding cards (which should be improved) and other minor improvements do not count as development of the game?
This relatively "recently" added ability to choose the order of discarding cards was implemented a year ago https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=45478

And you don't seem to graps that one added gameplay mechanic is added easily, and adding another mechanic could leads to a heap of other bugs and take much, much more time to implement, and not seems worth the trouble.
kuzestanx

Post by kuzestanx »

voriki wrote: 17 August 2022, 13:13
kuzestanx wrote: 17 August 2022, 13:08 That is, the relatively recently added ability to choose the order of discarding cards (which should be improved) and other minor improvements do not count as development of the game?
This relatively "recently" added ability to choose the order of discarding cards was implemented a year ago https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=45478

And you don't seem to graps that one added gameplay mechanic is added easily, and adding another mechanic could leads to a heap of other bugs and take much, much more time to implement, and not seems worth the trouble.
It seemed to me that some other small changes were made a few months ago. Here I can be wrong.

I'm not a coding expert, and I do not know how "Bang!" is written. Well, I'm going to assume, for example, that adding a character from the Valley of Shadows who can just play bang like a gatling once per turn is easier than adding Kit Carson with his special draw phase.

Idk, maybe I'm asking about the motivation of the developers? I mean, they made a basic version, then they improved it and now it's almost perfect, but now there's some kind of barrier where they say "no, that's enough". Maybe the gaming community can influence this? I'm not talking about add-ons, I'm interested in the ability to choose a character at least

Return to “Bang”