Better Tie-breaker

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
PaskinsP

Re: Better Tie-breaker

Post by PaskinsP »

Most battles end on "unconclusive" terms.

So "tie-ing" should definitly be a feasable outcome.

Why so much aversion for a tie result? Not all in life is clear cut :)
Fuddly

Post by Fuddly »

Why so much aversion for a tie result?
I'm Okay with a tie result. What I have a problem with; a tie becoming a means to an end.  

(BREAKOUT TO LISYANKA) Example: (one figure inf. right next to the frozen river - One medal ends the match.  Does the (Axis) Inf attack a one-figure enemy inf. or cross the frozen river? Keep in mind, whether crossing the river to 'Safety' or attacking (and eliminating) enemy inf, will end the match...both players know this is a tight match that could easily end in a tie for both players. Which is the easy way out?  Attack the Enemy inf is probably the safest bet...not at all taking into consideration any real goal!
Not all in life is clear cut
that may be true. Does this (#315860713) scenario present a clear-cut objective?
who should win such an absolute tie? We both did good.
I agree, such an awesome way to end a match. It was awesome - but neither of you did well. Meaning, neither of you completed the Condition of victory. You both lost, there is no real winner. The Scenario beat you both (signs of a good Scenario). Had either of you managed to get a unit across the river, the Scenario should declare the Victor. This could be done on BGA. Have you ever encountered a player declaring - "I don't like to win that way?"
Well, put your money where your mouth is...hand over your Sword...Leave the surrender option open when a tie ensues...Honor-Option
(Who says you can't have house rules?).
Wiking44

Post by Wiking44 »

House rules are ok but we cannot change the rules here on BGA
Fuddly

Post by Fuddly »

House rules are ok but we cannot change the rules here on BGA
Who's asking that the rules be changed? Players already have the option to surrender. Tie result - Giving both players the Option to surrender, at game's end.

Example: Battle ends in a Tie. If either player scored an objective medal, the opposing player would be Honour bound, accepting the loss.

How many (if any) people read the Historical Background of a given Scenario? A player is not going to be recreating or find any need to focus if "the rules encourage avoiding (the Scenario) taking position medals." Honour the Scenario designer. Play the game the way it was meant to be played. It is not always about how many units you kill! Divert your mind from killing and take the win without thinking kill, kill, kill.
My question is:
What do you propose?
I'm not here to sell an idea. Many players don't even understand what it is I'm talking about. I'm fine with it either way. I'd prefer being Honest and giving credit where credit is due...that being with the Scenario and the combatant that goes for it.
Last edited by Fuddly on 17 November 2022, 19:56, edited 2 times in total.
PaskinsP

Post by PaskinsP »

@Fuddly

I somewhat understand where you're coming from.

You can accomplish that in a Tournament format, of likewise minded folks ;)
The honour tourney!
Fuddly

Post by Fuddly »

You can accomplish that in a Tournament format
Exactly what I was thinking. That would put a whole new spin on this game.

Playing the game based entirely on the Scenario storyline. Like - Red Barricades; Fighting (not based on units) for control of the factory works. Entering a Scenario with the sole purpose of control...main objective will determine the winner. BREAKOUT TO LISYANKA; Killing enemy units was not possible!!!! Do you know how hard it is to get a unit across the river! Every Scenario IS a story...you entered this Scenario with your units being in a full out panic! Players would be better off if they were to read the story before they attempt to play it. Who cares how many units you eliminate...your gonna DIE if you don't lead your men to safety!!! M44, BGA is losing Focus

Unfortunately, as I understand it, BGA cannot allow House/Scenario rules to interfere with THE GAME.

Possible Fix: Allowing the player's turn-timer, to keep running after the final medal is Won - would allow the losing player to Surrender his Sword to the opposing force. thereby, enabling house Rules. Giving players a Chance to use the Surrender Button Honorably instead of continually using it in a dishonorable fashion.

The only time a player Surrenders is if they have to go on to a different game, while getting totally frustrated...desiring to rob their opponent Victory lap (disgraceful)!
Fuddly

Post by Fuddly »

AH, turns out house rules are in effect; THE ROAD TO MOSCOW - Conditions of Victory:
12 medals. The Germans must receive at least one medal by gaining one of the victory hexes at the Russian edge of the map...The fact that the rules can't be enforced, allows for em house rules to be in effect.

No worries, you guys are doing a great Job.
vincentt

Post by vincentt »

Hi all

We have read carefully your opinions on this subject.
We have reached to the editor to get their position and they are thinking about a better tie breaker.
We will communicate about it when it’s confirmed and implemented.

In the mean time, continue playing and winning 😉

Vincentt & Tisaac
Wiking44

Post by Wiking44 »

Fuddly wrote: 20 November 2022, 01:21 AH, turns out house rules are in effect; THE ROAD TO MOSCOW - Conditions of Victory:
12 medals. The Germans must receive at least one medal by gaining one of the victory hexes at the Russian edge of the map...The fact that the rules can't be enforced, allows for em house rules to be in effect.

No worries, you guys are doing a great Job.
This is a bit off topic but the scenario that is mentioned above is a SFTF Breakthrough "Design Your Own" scenario that we played that was poorly designed and has a ZERO rating.
SFTF scenarios are not OFFICIAL and can have errors, but some made by well-known players such as JDRommel are fantastic
PaskinsP

Post by PaskinsP »

vincentt wrote: 20 November 2022, 10:27 Hi all

We have read carefully your opinions on this subject.
We have reached to the editor to get their position and they are thinking about a better tie breaker.
We will communicate about it when it’s confirmed and implemented.

In the mean time, continue playing and winning 😉

Vincentt & Tisaac
It is always nice to hear that the developers are listening in to the community's conversation.

That being said... among the many m44 players, I would wager to say it is a small vocal minority, present here, who would like to change the current tie break.

Speaking foy myself... I cannot imagine a more correct and natural one than by figures eliminated.
Any change would be sub-par...

Lets see what the author says, but I am NO fan of changing such an important point just due to a vocal minority.

Return to “Memoir 44”