Discard of cards when charachter dies

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
SantiHM23

Discard of cards when charachter dies

Post by SantiHM23 »

It is not a common thing, but it has happened sometimes to me that when some player dies, they forget (I hope it is not deliberate) to discard their remaining cards. I understand that the order is important in the case Pedro is on play, but still, we shouldn't lose a lot of time on this. I suggest that there is some kind of countdown (maybe 15-30secs) for the dead player to select the order in which discard the cards. If this countdown runs out of time, it should be automatically done in the default order. I think this would be a nice thing to add.
diamant

Re: Discard of cards when charachter dies

Post by diamant »

SantiHM23 wrote: 27 July 2022, 10:00 It is not a common thing, but it has happened sometimes to me that when some player dies, they forget (I hope it is not deliberate) to discard their remaining cards. I understand that the order is important in the case Pedro is on play, but still, we shouldn't lose a lot of time on this. I suggest that there is some kind of countdown (maybe 15-30secs) for the dead player to select the order in which discard the cards. If this countdown runs out of time, it should be automatically done in the default order. I think this would be a nice thing to add.
Rather, I think two more important issues should be considered:
1) when the elimination of a player triggers the end of the game, the discard of the player’s cards must be automatic since Pedro will never have the opportunity to draw again;
2) when a player is eliminated, the expulsion of that player must be deactivated: it is only after exceeding his thinking time, that his cards would be discarded automatically after a countdown.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

diamant wrote: 27 July 2022, 11:53
SantiHM23 wrote: 27 July 2022, 10:00 It is not a common thing, but it has happened sometimes to me that when some player dies, they forget (I hope it is not deliberate) to discard their remaining cards. I understand that the order is important in the case Pedro is on play, but still, we shouldn't lose a lot of time on this. I suggest that there is some kind of countdown (maybe 15-30secs) for the dead player to select the order in which discard the cards. If this countdown runs out of time, it should be automatically done in the default order. I think this would be a nice thing to add.
Rather, I think two more important issues should be considered:
1) when the elimination of a player triggers the end of the game, the discard of the player’s cards must be automatic since Pedro will never have the opportunity to draw again;
2) when a player is eliminated, the expulsion of that player must be deactivated: it is only after exceeding his thinking time, that his cards would be discarded automatically after a countdown.
2) is already working like that for the elimination part, as I already explained to you couple of times. The player is ACTIVE during the discard phase, so he is of course not eliminated yet and even will receive a penalty if he does not play.
For the countdown that's not a very easy feature since there are no way to delay events on the backend. So that would mean someone else would need to sit at the table to launch the timeout request and in this case it would mean some further check would be required on backend to ensure other players didnt "cheat" by launching the request before the end of the timer (via JS console). Not easy, but doable. Again, the code is open so anyone can hop in and implement that. I wont.
diamant

Post by diamant »

Tisaac wrote: 27 July 2022, 13:212) is already working like that for the elimination part, as I already explained to you couple of times. The player is ACTIVE during the discard phase, so he is of course not eliminated yet and even will receive a penalty if he does not play.
For the countdown that's not a very easy feature since there are no way to delay events on the backend. So that would mean someone else would need to sit at the table to launch the timeout request and in this case it would mean some further check would be required on backend to ensure other players didnt "cheat" by launching the request before the end of the timer (via JS console). Not easy, but doable. Again, the code is open so anyone can hop in and implement that. I wont.
As it had become clear that we were not talking about the same thing, I reread the English rule of Bang! and found the following sentence on page 4:

“When you are eliminated from the game, show your role card and discard all the cards you have in hand and in play.”

This reading reassured me. A player can be eliminated and continue to perform actions to allow the good continuation of the game. This is also the case with Cluedo, for example, when a player has made a mistake in his accusation, but must always stay at the table to be able to contradict another player’s hypothesis.

This is to say that we will understand ourselves better if we give the same meaning to the words, and I think that when the word is defined in the rule, the rule defines the meaning to be given to the word. You say that the player remains active to discard his cards, but that does not prevent him from already being eliminated within the meaning of the rule.
Then, I may have been mistaken, but I assumed that the eliminated active player was always concerned with the counting of his playing time, insofar as the game provided a limited time for each of the participants. I again assumed that this time could already be exceeded, or that it could be exceeded during the discarding of his cards. In that case, that player could be expelled, so I’ve drafted a proposal to avoid that kind of situation, which I think is detrimental to the other players on the table.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

Well what word do you want to use for "eliminated" player with respect to the BGA framework ? Because that's what i am talking about here, which is strongly linked to the fact that a player clock is running or not.

Return to “Bang”