Favorite color not working?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Cos-

Favorite color not working?

Post by Cos- »

I have a paid account and set my favorite colors. According to the popup in settings, Catan is one of the supported games for favorite colors.

My favorite color is blue. I have now played (or started) 7 or 8 games, and I got purple on EVERY SINGLE GAME, no exceptions. Purple is my third-choice color. Someone else got blue in each of these games, so I know blue is available. It has been different players on different games, not the same person always getting blue. It seems nearly impossible that not only has every game I've played by now included another paid player who chose blue as their favorite, but also included another paid player who preferred my second-choice color, so I would naturally get my third choice on every game. Something seems broken?

Anyone else here use favorite colors? Are you ever getting your first choice color when playing Catan? Are you seeing any other odd pattern?
Jellby

Re: Favorite color not working?

Post by Jellby »

I think I've generally been purple too. Purple is my 2nd preferred color, my first is green. Perhaps the shades of blue and green available in Catan are matched to cyan and khaki or whatever. It's not something I care terribly about, though.
el cosimo

Post by el cosimo »

I got always orange and that is also 3rd color. Even nobody set blue as first color
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

Jellby - cyan is actually my second choice color. My preferences are blue, then cyan, then purple. I've never gotten cyan in a catan game either. I've played more games, and it's always purple for me.

I can see from these comments that there probably is a bug in catan. Maybe the colors are scrambled, and it actually has the pieces that look purple marked as blue somehow? But of course if I change my preferences it'll mess up my colors on all other games.
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

I've now lost several turn-based games because during the placement phase if I'm not the player who places two in a row, then by the time my second placement comes, I just assume the purple settlement isn't me (because I'm never purple on other games) and then I think it's my first placement and choose really really stupidly. Ugh.

Does anyone know if there's any way to get this colors problem to the attention of whoever can fix it? Does anyone even know who can fix it?
TxGowan

Post by TxGowan »

It keeps happening to me, too. Blue is my chosen color. White is my third color. I have almost always ended up white even when there's not a blue player.
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

I opened a bug: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=69630

If you've experienced this problem or similar, please click there and vote for the bug.
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

Updated the bug with some more examples. https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=69630
Cos-

Post by Cos- »

Catan developers verified the bug but closed it as a duplicate of https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=31728

That bug seems to be about the same thing happening in other games. But:
a) This happens to me on Catan only, and did not ever happen to me on one of the games they call out in that bug.
b) The bug has been open since January 2021!
c) ... and has not had any updates in nearly a year!

Is it really the same bug? Who can we talk to to get some attention paid to it?
CrimsonBlood

Post by CrimsonBlood »

How can i check properly my favorite color preferences?

Return to “Catan”