victory tokens

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
JSnova

victory tokens

Post by JSnova »

The rules state that you can get a victory token if you have 3 the same or 5 diffrent.

now it seems that the game auto buys them for you.

As far as I always understood the rules, you where aloud to use a potion for either 3 diffrent or 5 the same and you may chose to do so or to wait till you have for example 3 the same, but you may only use it onces.

Can someone explain this to me ?
Meeplelowda

Re: victory tokens

Post by Meeplelowda »

JSnova wrote: 29 July 2022, 12:09 The rules state that you can get a victory token if you have 3 the same or 5 diffrent.

now it seems that the game auto buys them for you.

As far as I always understood the rules, you where aloud to use a potion for either 3 diffrent or 5 the same and you may chose to do so or to wait till you have for example 3 the same, but you may only use it onces.

Can someone explain this to me ?
The rules are pretty clear that skill tokens are awarded upon completion of one of the two criteria, in both the original rules linked on BGA and the current rules.
Original Rules:
For each kind of Potion, when you complete your 3rd Potion of that kind (i.e.,
with the same power), you automatically receive a Skill token (but you don’t
gain another token if you complete 6 Potions of the same kind).
Also, when you complete your 5th different kind of Potion (i.e., completing
Potions with 5 different powers), you automatically receive a Skill token (but you
don’t gain another Skill token if you complete a second set of 5 different Potions).
Current Rules:
Whenever a player completes at least 3 Potions of one same kind (i.e., with the same power) and/or at least 5 different kinds of Potion (i.e., completing Potions with 5 different powers), that player automatically receives a Skill token from the "countdown" stack (or from the general pool if the "countdown" stack is empty). Each Skill token is worth 4 points at the end of the game.
cigma

Post by cigma »

JSnova wrote: 29 July 2022, 12:09 As far as I always understood the rules, you where aloud to use a potion for either 3 diffrent or 5 the same and you may chose to do so or to wait till you have for example 3 the same, but you may only use it onces.
As a beginner I thought the same, but it's not like this. Let's say you have A, A, A, B, C, D, E - then you will get 2 skill tokens: 1 for A, A, A and 1 for A, B, C, D, E. The A counts for both!
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
JSnova

Post by JSnova »

I checked the manuel I got and did some additional research.

In the older version and in a lot of the translations, this rule wasn't clear and they updated the manuel and added an adentem to it, which clearifciers this.

so indeed the rules are vp for first time 3(unique) and 5, but this wasn't clear in the first release manuels.
Stephz17

Post by Stephz17 »

How about 2x5 I don't know if that counts since sometimes the scores don't seem to add up? Thnx!
cigma

Post by cigma »

Stephz17 wrote: 21 October 2022, 10:10 How about 2x5 I don't know if that counts since sometimes the scores don't seem to add up? Thnx!
In the rulebook https://www.ultraboardgames.com/potion- ... -rules.php it says: "Whenever a player completes at least 3 Potions of one same kind (i.e., with the same power) and/or at least 5 different kinds of Potion (i.e., completing Potions with 5 different powers), that player automatically receives a Skill token."

This means you can't get points for a second set of the same kind (i. e. 6 of the same or 2x5 different).
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)

Return to “Potion Explosion”