PLAYERS WHO PLAY FOR LOSING THE GAME INTENTIONALLY

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
GonzaloDLPG

PLAYERS WHO PLAY FOR LOSING THE GAME INTENTIONALLY

Post by GonzaloDLPG »

Tonight I created a table for Hanabi (#*) and the next player (*) joined to it. Its ELO was 2% but I gave him an opportunity. Well, the game started well, so I was wondering why this player had that low ELO. But suddenly, he/she had 3 cards that need to be saved so I saved the card on the chop for saving two of them. As I saved the card on the chop, he/she descarded the next card (black 3) and both of them were out. He / she immediately tried to abandon the game and I declined it. After that, he/she started playing ramdonly, discarding my clues, giving me wrong clues, everything for trying to losing the game. Finally he played a card for the third mistakes. It has been an awful experience. I think that BGA should banne those kinds of players who plays only for screwing the games.

*Moderation Edit: please do not use the Forums to call players out by name, this is what the Moderation Reports are for. The Forums should remain a general discussion.
skoki

Re: PLAYERS WHO PLAY FOR LOSING THE GAME INTENTIONALLY

Post by skoki »

There are groups for Hanabi in which you can find nice opponents
Vandaley

Post by Vandaley »

Red thumb. You can also leave a comment on the game score that the public can see that says he intentionally bombed after refusal to abandon.
GonzaloDLPG

Post by GonzaloDLPG »

Thanks for your answers.
Nikkidemas

Post by Nikkidemas »

I encounter this extremely often. Many players quit after ONE mistake because it won't be a perfect game. It's rude & I can't imagine doing this in real life.
BusError

Post by BusError »

Yes, people's manners are terrible. They also want to gather up tons of ELO so they can feel very good about themselves, despite the fact that the abandon system as implemented makes ELO useless in cooperative games.

BGA could fix this in one fell swoop if they wanted to. Simply apply an ELO penalty for game abandons. Sure, sometimes people need to leave for legitimate reasons and they lose -10 ELO, but the majority of use I see of the abandon mechanism across any game is farming ELO in Hanabi. Awful.
geeked_up_boardgames

Post by geeked_up_boardgames »

I love the concept behind Hanabi but this stuff has REALLY put me off playing it.

One moment I'm getting told off because I discarded a 5, and high numbers are to be saved. Next game getting told off because I discarded my low numbers since I should have chosen cards I had no info on, then I got told off for giving clues in the wrong way. Player started the game with 2 white 1's and 2 white 2's, so I figured they had 2 easy plays and 2 easy discards to regain 2/3 clues. Except nope "The first 4 clues should always reveal a minimum of 12 cards..."

I was told to stick to training mode if I wasn't going to play by the BGA 'rules' behind this game, (not the TOS but the rules on how many cards a clue should reveal from clues ect...)

Please guys; chill out a little. If you want all opponents to know the 'optimal' strategy then stick to playing with your friends. If you're playing with total strangers then please relax and enjoy the game, accepting that you're going to encounter a variety of skill levels.
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

BusError wrote: 22 February 2023, 04:01 Yes, people's manners are terrible. They also want to gather up tons of ELO so they can feel very good about themselves, despite the fact that the abandon system as implemented makes ELO useless in cooperative games.

BGA could fix this in one fell swoop if they wanted to. Simply apply an ELO penalty for game abandons. Sure, sometimes people need to leave for legitimate reasons and they lose -10 ELO, but the majority of use I see of the abandon mechanism across any game is farming ELO in Hanabi. Awful.
totally agree
arisanana

Post by arisanana »

I saw the moderation edit:

Question for the moderators maybe: so we can't call out people by name here in forums, I can respect that. But how do we create a report ("moderation report") for someone who literally threw the entire game (proposed Abandon after 1 double discard on *their* bad hint, then when I didn't agree to abandon bc it was literally one miss, and we had flams, they began throwing all the unique saves in hand as well as all the playables, and these are blatantly saves/playables, with 0 room for doubt, because the card literally says, MC4 when the other MC4 is in trash, Y5, etc)

They don't answer anything in chat, they're not bombing, but heck if any moderating hearted moderator couldn't tell they were obviously tossing the game... so how do we report then, when anything that is not "Insulted someone" or "Behaved inappropriately in chat" gets redirected to "you can RT them! this is what RT is for!"

BC oh em freaking gee, I hate it when they bomb, yeah, and I found out literally just now that I hate it even more when they're obviously trying to not get the Quit Game/Leave penalty AND dragging it out in hopes that I'll abandon if it becomes clear enough perfect 30/30 isn't possible and enough time has passed AND they're not talking because they know that'll give me a way to report them, but there's nothing to report if they don't talk.
GonzaloDLPG

Post by GonzaloDLPG »

I think players who do that, should be banned for a long time without letting them playing Hanabi. Just now, I told a player that having a playable white 5 and a 2 without colour (it was the black) and having its couple out, was a better idea playing the only card is sure it can be played. After that he played two more cards intentionally for losing the games. It would be nice having a way to report this behaviour here.

Return to “Hanabi”