Custom difficulties settings

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Romain672

Custom difficulties settings

Post by Romain672 »

HI,
Here is a post to share your favorite difficulties settings.

The normal game give 12/24/36/48 elo for a win.
The most popular change is '+10 health' which increase slightly the difficulty but give more time to setup everything: +50% boost in elo.

My favorite which give a totally new playstyle is: -2 atk / max combo 18 (so you can pair 666) / remove 8~10 which play more around doing pairs and create a constant difficulty instead of having Kings being the hardest in the normal game: it give 59 elo at 2 players.

What is the setup you like?
Ez0ah

Re: Custom difficulties settings

Post by Ez0ah »

I really like playing with the weaken enemies, so that you don’t instantly defeat/neutralize a queen/king using its spade or club counterpart. On the other side, I’ve also increased the combo limit, to reward a good hand management.
andiestuffiegirl

Post by andiestuffiegirl »

Not anymore, now whether you make it crazy difficult or super easy, a win gets you 1 ELO. I understand that ELO is useless but since it's the only real 'reward', getting +1 no matter how hard it was, is kinda a letdown.
Princesse_Sarah

Post by Princesse_Sarah »

I agree. Why did they do that ?
Da Voice

Post by Da Voice »

Just 1 Elo point given since the last update as a reward for harder rules was in my opinion a very bad decision...

It gives the message that only vanilla rules should be played which is wrong.

No explanation was given for this decision. All feedback I see from experienced players is the same. They only stayed more in the game because harder modes were rewarded. Variants give creativity and diversity to the game.

If some players are interested, we could propose a simple breakdown with the community of what is a harder rule and what is an easier rule to see what could be implemented.
ufm

Post by ufm »

Da Voice wrote: 26 September 2023, 20:18 Just 1 Elo point given since the last update as a reward for harder rules was in my opinion a very bad decision...

It gives the message that only vanilla rules should be played which is wrong.
Wrong, as the update says:
- Adjusted difficulty multipliers. Easier modes are still playable in normal mode, but adding any of them automatically sets the final score to 1.
If you want to get full rating, just don't use options which fix rating gains to 1 (-attack, -health, higher combo limit, etc.).

Da Voice wrote: 26 September 2023, 20:18 No explanation was given for this decision.
The game now permits only strictly harder games to gain additional rating. Add any easy modifications, then the rating will be 1.
Da Voice

Post by Da Voice »

First of all, thank you a lot for taking the time to answer my issue with the last update on Regicide.

I work in IT, and I always truly respect developers since they master something I never have. So first Kudos for your work on BGA games sincerely.

Regicide has become my preferred card game and I did not know it existed before BGA. I played it a LOT within BGA but also with real cards and friends around the table.

Like other players on BGA, I played too much standard game rules and started to explore custom difficulties. After a lot of of test-error process, I stayed with what I would call a medium-hard difficulty with hand management and combos at its core. And suddenly the update make me felt that what I was doing as custom rule was wrong because you decided to put it at 1 Elo point...

I understand the custom rules table you had for Elo points was not perfect but at least it was a try to make points for most of the custom rules.

I understand that the update makes it a lot easier to manage the points with no debate within the community. But I have never seen a player complain publicly on your previous table, was it really the case ?

Than you again for all your hard work for BGA players.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

An elo score that always increases (by 1 or whatever) is pretty much meaningless (and not elo, of course). I'd prefer it if it was +700 the first time you play and +0 from then on. That way everyone's a "master" and everyone's happy.
Da Voice

Post by Da Voice »

For me since the game is cooperative and not competitive, I do not see the point to be all masters quickly then have zero points for all the rest of the games (but definitely easier to maintain). I do not play for the badges.

I always considered the elo points in Regicide as a small reward if you won and giving more points if you play with harder rules. Now medium difficulty games are set to +1 because they include some easier rules in their mix, I have not the same appeal to play the variant I used to like a lot. Maybe it is stupid but the other player I use to play with this variant also felt like that.

For me including only harder rules makes the game with too much reset of my hand needed to survive each enemy and with more dependancy to card draw luck. The standard game feels a bit the same also sometimes. I tend to prefer games with longer hand management and combos.

But from what ufm said, it seems all players are still playing Regicide with the same numbers connected then before in BGA.

The only thing I am quite sure is that experienced players prefer custom rules more than the vanilla one. And I did not see anyone publicly complain of the previous Elo points table but maybe ufm received emails on that.

Return to “Regicide”