List of "active chats" of players in Spades game

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
marknibb

Re: List of "active chats" of players in Spades game

Post by marknibb »

There is not a 3rd player. They could communicated with each other in private chat. And if you say it happens all the time in Spades, showing a list of communication devices each player is using, that would be the "proof" you need to suspend those players.
Cruella-Devil

Post by Cruella-Devil »

Mark, if you have an issue with this, which it seems you do, then you go and report it.
marknibb

Post by marknibb »

A third player is not required. Your two opponents can be in a private chat, and can take part in coaching. This basically could consist of one player playing both players cards and/or coaching the weaker player. This would be an unfair advantage
LDB62

Post by LDB62 »

Mark, when Cruella mentioned that "one player could be playing 'for' <I would change this word to be 'as'> both of your opponents" she wasn't speaking of a 3rd player, she was saying that the two opposing player IDs in your Spades game are actually a single player who is playing the two hands using separate devices. This has been known to happen by the two players she mentions in the NO CHEATS group.

You are right though. The ability to communicate through a direct message (DM) to another player using a 2nd BGA chat window outside of the game chat is possible. I don't think it happens too often (notable exception of the two players Cruella calls out in NO CHEATS), but it is possible. Discord also allows audio and chat messages outside of and during a BGA game. Although BGA allows this, it doesn't always mean the players are cheating. I have heard a lot of inane banter outside of a "fun" (non-arena) Spades game and I have to say I think most of the players are fair (again with notable exceptions).

During an Arena game it might be nice if BGA would terminate all other chat windows, and if you suggest it as an improvement, I will (and I imagine a lot of players will) join you in recommending (green thumbing) this change. Tell me if you open a BGA post so I can help push it.
marknibb

Post by marknibb »

Jellby wrote: 06 August 2022, 19:05 I'm curious, why is this 3rd "player" needed? If they wanted to cheat, wouldn't it be much easier for them to simply communicate with each other?

To answer your question again: No, there is no way (as far as I know), and even if there was, it wouldn't prevent cheating. If you have proof that some players are cheating by secretly communicating information that should be hidden, please report them.
If the Spades game showed the "active chats" of players playing Spades, and players on same team were in a chat - you would know what they were chatting about and could copy it as evidence of what they were doing. Correct? If they were in a chat with each other, there would be a log in the chat of what was being said.
Cruella-Devil

Post by Cruella-Devil »

Mark, you are 1 step forward, 3 steps back!!!
marknibb

Post by marknibb »

LDB62 wrote: 06 August 2022, 23:40 Mark, when Cruella mentioned that "one player could be playing 'for' <I would change this word to be 'as'> both of your opponents" she wasn't speaking of a 3rd player, she was saying that the two opposing player IDs in your Spades game are actually a single player who is playing the two hands using separate devices. This has been known to happen by the two players she mentions in the NO CHEATS group.

You are right though. The ability to communicate through a direct message (DM) to another player using a 2nd BGA chat window outside of the game chat is possible. I don't think it happens too often (notable exception of the two players Cruella calls out in NO CHEATS), but it is possible. Discord also allows audio and chat messages outside of and during a BGA game. Although BGA allows this, it doesn't always mean the players are cheating. I have heard a lot of inane banter outside of a "fun" (non-arena) Spades game and I have to say I think most of the players are fair (again with notable exceptions).

During an Arena game it might be nice if BGA would terminate all other chat windows, and if you suggest it as an improvement, I will (and I imagine a lot of players will) join you in recommending (green thumbing) this change. Tell me if you open a BGA post so I can help push it.
Thank you LDB62 and Cruella. Both of you suggest it is "possible" and/or has been done. If it is possible, and/or it has been done, why not turn off the other BGA Chats to players in "competitive arena" Spades (and other games) I will attempt to find the suggestion box and make the suggestion.
Cruella-Devil

Post by Cruella-Devil »

I won't hold my breath!!!

Return to “Spades”