Give Arena Players Suggestion to Move to "Turn-based" instead of EXPEL (Or Request Ongoing Confirmation of Wait)

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
Kruszer

Give Arena Players Suggestion to Move to "Turn-based" instead of EXPEL (Or Request Ongoing Confirmation of Wait)

Post by Kruszer »

This is especially important in Arena games that are less popular. Depending on the time of day, someone might start searching for an opponent and still be waiting for a player an hour or more later. Unlike Simple Mode, Arena doesn't have a confirm option for a game (Can we PLEASE at least make that a thing on games with long wait times?). So someone who started waiting for a player and then got distracted on another tab or by surrounding life will find that a game started while they were outside putting the garbage at the curb or taking a phone call.

Most players who aren't mean and ELO hungry might be willing to switch to turn-based and wait for the player to return (especially if they too struggle to find opponents) but BGA doesn't make that option easy to know about. Expel is the only suggestion at the top. It's as though BGA is encouraging games to end with an expulsion!

And then the player who got expelled after waiting for over an hour for a player is back to waiting again AND to add insult to injury they get the patronizing message from BGA "Looks like you couldn't finish a game... Don't be that player :( " -- Well, no I didn't finish a game because I never got to start one!

It makes sense to penalize people who start playing a game and then intentionally ditch players in mid-stream, but BGA needs a more cordial approach to games that didn't start after a long wait time!
Last edited by Kruszer on 05 August 2022, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
thoun

Re: Give Arena Players Suggestion to Move to "Turn-based" instead of EXPEL (Or Request Ongoing Confirmation of Wait)

Post by thoun »

When you have the popup tu expel player, in the text you are encourage to switch to turn based instead and you you click on this link it is activated.
But I agree it's drowned into too much text, and most players don't read it. A better visibility (in a form of a button next to Expel player button) would help.
Makpar90

Re: Give Arena Players Suggestion to Move to "Turn-based" instead of EXPEL (Or Request Ongoing Confirmation of Wait)

Post by Makpar90 »

I definitely agree to this...not one but many players have faced this.. i think just like simple game arena mode should have the option of accepting.. this will ensure that all players agree to start the game together and no one needs to be expelled for unforseen reasons.
Thanks for bringing this up Kruzer....i hope others see the issue and do something about it!
Kruszer

Post by Kruszer »

The wild thing is that in the blurb that BGA throws on your screen after you get expelled, it says something about how leaving a game without finishing creates a negative playing environment or makes people unhappy or something like that.

And what do you think expelling players does to the BGA community? It sure doesn't create happy feelings!

It makes people walk away from BGA in a bad mood and angry with the regular player who hurt their rank just because they had the power to do so.

I think there's got to be a better approach!
ABray

Post by ABray »

Yes! I suggested this to the BGA developers.
Please vote for this change (ability to accept beginning of arena games): https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=70340
Please vote for this change as well (less aggressive options to skip players out of time): https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=70341
Thanks!

Return to “Suggestions”