Dice roll - many repeat rolls

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
MmeChance

Dice roll - many repeat rolls

Post by MmeChance »

I have noticed a strange behavior for the dice. It seems to roll same number in a row a lot. For example once it rolled a 9 then will roll it 3-4 more times in a row. Maybe wrong impression? Where can I see the dice stats?
This is problematic because you get many of the same resource at the same time which is most of the time not actionable and then discard half when seven is inevitably rolled.
This changes the strategy of the game, where ports become a lot more important than I have ever experienced in real life.
Stroom

Re: Dice roll - many repeat rolls

Post by Stroom »

This happens in real life games too. This is how randomness actually works. Deal with it.
Sergioreboot

Post by Sergioreboot »

I think this isn't random. So Many times you put robber, village or a town and the Next turno you get the number of Robber or a number fron the village or a town. If you are leader of the Game above 2-3 points magically you don't get your numbers. Please you make a real random system.
el cosimo

Post by el cosimo »

Sergioreboot wrote: 09 September 2022, 16:31 I think this isn't random. So Many times you put robber, village or a town and the Next turno you get the number of Robber or a number fron the village or a town. If you are leader of the Game above 2-3 points magically you don't get your numbers. Please you make a real random system.
It is random.. yeah you get that impression but in real life it happens too.. it is just because you are focused on it that you think it is weird..
Deatheater1

Post by Deatheater1 »

The probability of rolling the same number 8 times is phenomenal, but it regularly happens in this game. There seems to be a glitch
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

Deatheater1 wrote: 11 September 2022, 05:01 The probability of rolling the same number 8 times is phenomenal, but it regularly happens in this game. There seems to be a glitch
Your claim is false though. Just give me the replay of two games where this happen. You will not find those: you remember wrongly (or worst you lie in purpose).

In another post, there was the same claim, here is what I did:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
This is some selectionned game where SilentProtest though something was weird on it.
You can see in white the number which is identical than the last 3 unique number rolled.
And... Even on selectionned game, there doesn't seem to have a pattern.
You can find series of 6s&9s in a row, but this isn't that unlikely. You can totally find instead some 6s&8s in a row instead, and many others combinaisons. And that serie stop really fast...

The random generation look fine.
illgongiee

Post by illgongiee »

I saw 4 times successive 12. This is not random I guess. Diceroll system is broken.
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

illgongiee wrote: 13 September 2022, 02:33 I saw 4 times successive 12. This is not random I guess. Diceroll system is broken.
Indeed a rare event. Can you please give the game number? But you should worry about the dice rolls if such events did never happen!

4 successive 12s should have happened in approx. 8 games since the game Settlers was started at BGA (around 340000 games at an average length of 40 moves till now). Since 4 successive 2s would be equally strange and noteworthy there should have happened such an event 16 times by now. Since it is surprising people report such rare cases in the forum. The random algorithm is perfectly fine though.
Laric

Post by Laric »

There's definitely an issue with the rolls. After 69 games and looking at the results for my games, there's definitely an issue. Each game has lopsided roll percentages, and usually by large percentages. Almost every game is like this, the exceptions are very rare. It's almost unplayable in its current form.
Stroom

Post by Stroom »

This is not a problem. This is normal Catan. Every game will have lopsided dice rolls as there are usually 70 dice rolls while there are 36 different combinations with 2 dice. So you either deal with it and don't take it seriously or find another game.

Return to “Catan”