Back to back diamond Queen-King, is it possible?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
jeroenh

Back to back diamond Queen-King, is it possible?

Post by jeroenh »

Me and a friend have been playing Regicide constantly. We've upped the difficulty level to +5/+2 so far and seem to be able to handle that.

Except in the case where we run up to diamond Queen and then Diamond King right afterward.

Has anybody been able to defeat that? Is it even possible to do that?
Romain672

Re: Back to back diamond Queen-King, is it possible?

Post by Romain672 »

In normal difficulty, two diamond in a row is doable.
If now, you add an heart before: Heart-Diamond-Diamond, or Heart-Heart-Diamond that start to be really tricky.

If you start to up the difficulty, there will be some games which will be unwinnable.

You need 30+40 damage, then some diamonds. At 2 players, you have 14 cards. It's 5,3 damage per card (remember you need some discards too). That look doable with some queens keeped in hand.
Remember that if you perfect kill the Queen of Clubs you can one shot the queen of diamond.
Hisoka 97

Post by Hisoka 97 »

It can be done quietly, with good card management and why not even a bit of luck you can do this too ^ ^

Here is a video where this event happened, with a setting without 9 and 10, no exact damage bonus and combo limit up to 12

--> https://boardgamearena.com/archive/repl ... s=86698684; ;)
SpaceMonkey2104

Post by SpaceMonkey2104 »

Diamond Queen into DIamond King is the hardest scenario in this game without a doubt.
However, the fact that you know at the 3rd Queen that Diamond is coming up, should signal to you, that this might get tough.
I usually like discarding clubs, since their use imo is very limitted and in fact sometimes counterproductive (slow rounds). Imo you want to value Clubs higher in this case, especially if you can combo them (usually with Spades), and, this should go without saying, never go into it without full hands, every card counts here.

The difficulty is, that this scenario demands all colors. You want spades to reduce attack, you want clubs to get through the fight quickly, since you can't just draw into more cards and you want diamonds, because you'll need to draw once you're done with the diamond enemies. That leaves hearts out. The only flexibility would be good discardpile management leading up to this situation, so if you have a decent tavern and the discard pile isn't too big to handle, imo that is where i'd be a bit more liberal with discarding hearts. If that isn't so, try to finish with hearts so you can get a decent draw to recover.

All that said, you are still subject to draw luck and sometimes you are just not in a good situation to handle the fight, like when you go into the diamond queen by drawing and only draw small value cards. It happens.
But when starting out, this scenario was pretty much a loss. Having played a lot now, i'd say my chances are usually pretty good.
If you get this far, you already had some time to manage your hands.

Return to “Regicide”