Timeouts and elimination tournaments: potential solutions

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
skoki

Re: Timeouts and elimination tournaments: potential solutions

Post by skoki »

DebbieMJ wrote: 26 October 2022, 22:09 Tournaments time out themselves so why do people feel the need to kick people out unnecessarily?
Because after match is ended by system because run out of match time the positions are decided by who has the most time left. There can be situation when the player who is leading the game and would definitely win it, would be ruled-out of tournament because he got less time left than others. I do understand the leader kicking out than the slacker in order to have a chance to stand in tournament.
The madness starts when the player who would definitely lose the game is kicking the slacker, and whats more - I seen situations where game was already decided, and would be finished on time (if not reaching the deadline on purpose by one of two players who still haven't finished the game), so 6 players, 3 advance, 4 are already finished the game so the winners are decided, 2 still playing and they have 3 options - finish the game on time, not finish on time on purpose and the game might be ended then by system (this might also happen not on purpose), and last option is that one of the player who would lost is kicking another who would lost. Both last options are not cool.

Culture and dignity of tournament players would help here the most :/
FSKFSK

Post by FSKFSK »

I thought about this issue a little more, the problem of kicking a tournament player for running out of time when the game is almost over. How about this solution? In a tournament, a player can only be kicked for running out of time if (unfinished completion percentage of the game) is less than (percent of time remaining until tournament engine closes the game).

I.e., if you are 90% complete with the game and only 70% of the total time has elapsed (example 7 out of 10 days used), then a player cannot be kicked even if they run out of time. If you have 10% of the game complete and 30% of the total time has elapsed, then it's acceptable to kick a player for running out of time. This would be most useful for games with a predictable number of turns so the completion percentage is accurate.
twistoffate1

Post by twistoffate1 »

FSKFSK wrote: 31 October 2022, 22:18 I thought about this issue a little more, the problem of kicking a tournament player for running out of time when the game is almost over. How about this solution? In a tournament, a player can only be kicked for running out of time if (unfinished completion percentage of the game) is less than (percent of time remaining until tournament engine closes the game).

I.e., if you are 90% complete with the game and only 70% of the total time has elapsed (example 7 out of 10 days used), then a player cannot be kicked even if they run out of time. If you have 10% of the game complete and 30% of the total time has elapsed, then it's acceptable to kick a player for running out of time. This would be most useful for games with a predictable number of turns so the completion percentage is accurate.
This seems like a great idea to me that shouldn't be as hard to program as some other suggested fixes.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”